Advanced mathematics at usyd and unsw (1 Viewer)

homersimpson

HSC
N/A
Is it true that usyd only accepts 10 students per year for the advanced mathematics degree?

If so, does UNSW have any restrictions like this?

uniform

!!!
HSC
Of course UNSW has restrictions like this - it has a UAI cut-off, no? Whether UNSW has an intake of 10, 20, or 100 is immaterial and shouldn't worry you, because you can't do anything with that information. For example, if there are 10 places available, and 9 have been taken, how will you get that last place? By getting a high-enough UAI so that you're 'next on the list', nothing else. You won't even know how many slots have been filled up anyway. If you are interested in getting in the course, worry about getting the right UAI. For USyd, it was 98.95 last year, and for UNSW it was 92.

(FYI the intake for USyd is 20, but the same could be true for UNSW - it might just be a less popular course, so they lowered the cut-off UAI).

homersimpson

HSC
N/A
(FYI the intake for USyd is 20, but the same could be true for UNSW - it might just be a less popular course, so they lowered the cut-off UAI).
So only 20 people get accepted? Isn't that really, really little? Or is this like normal?

EDIT:

This is from the usyd website

"The School of Mathematics and Statistics runs a special Talented Student Program, where our most able students are helped to develop their mathematical interests beyond the scope of the undergraduate program. Some thirty students currently participating. "

So if 30 or so students get into the talented student program, then wouldn't many more be doing the advanced degree in general (i.e. doing the degree but not in the talented student program)

EDIT:

Also by restriction for unsw i meant like as in number of people not uai cut off

Last edited:

uniform

!!!
HSC
So only 20 people get accepted? Isn't that really, really little? Or is this like normal?
Yes this is little, and yes this is normal.

EDIT:

This is from the usyd website

"The School of Mathematics and Statistics runs a special Talented Student Program, where our most able students are helped to develop their mathematical interests beyond the scope of the undergraduate program. Some thirty students currently participating. "

So if 30 or so students get into the talented student program, then wouldn't many more be doing the advanced degree in general (i.e. doing the degree but not in the talented student program)
No. First of all, MUCH MORE THAN 30 people get into the TSP. There were about 100 in my cohort. TSP spans all science schools. Secondly, you don't have to be doing B Science (Advanced Mathematics) to a TSP project in maths. You could be doing B Science, B Science (Advanced), or any other degree, really, if you have the required marks in maths (band E4 Ext 2, UAI 99+) and are taking maths units. [/QUOTE]

EDIT:

Also by restriction for unsw i meant like as in number of people not uai cut off
Yes, I know exactly what you meant, but you didn't get the point I was making. A key reason as to why universities have a UAI cut is to impose a restriction on the number of people entering the course depending on how popular it is. So chances are that UNSW has a cut off of how many people they take in, given that it HAS a UAI cutoff in the first place (especially since the cutoff is relatively high, 92).

ALL IN ALL:
If you are truly interested in mathematics (not just interested in saying you do an 'advanced maths' degree), you shouldn't really care about getting into the "Advanced Mathematics" degree in the first place. You can major in advanced maths doing an arts degree, a generalist science degree, an advanced science degree etc. You can tailor a generalist science/advanced science degree to be EXACTLY THE SAME as the B Science (advanced mathematics). So if those measly two words in brackets after the "B Science" mean that much to you... Seriously. Forget about the numbers of "how many people get in", and think about your UAI instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)