Advanced Mathematics @ USYD (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lou071 said:
so the calculator used for HSC is fine at uni?
Yes.
In some exams, the uni supplies you with calculators anyway which resemble the ones you use in the HSC.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
MATH1901/1902/1903/1904/1905(one that I didn't do) are, at best, challenging to a Ext2 graduate in my opinion. There's a couple of new concepts, and you really need to get your head around it. (Especially differential calculus. Linear algebra is kind of easy).

The difficulty of math subjects (in fact, of all subjects) really ramp up in 2nd year. So getting into a good study habit is really essential. (ahem to those who does/will do algebra.)

My advise is, find yourself a smart study buddy. And do figure things out as they come by. Chances are, lectures/self study alone is not going to be sufficient. And last minute doesn't work. (At least I find studying with others more fun).

Oh, don't copy. Trust me. I mark HW's (not in maths), and markers will tell if you copied from each other.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I tried that test after my HSC and according to it I just made the cut for Advanced...lol. I didn't really listen to the advice on that test. All my Maths units so far are Advanced and so far I've never dipped below Credit...so yeah it's not that reliable.

You are automatically allowed to do Advanced units in Maths if you took Extension 2 Maths in high school. If you didn't take Extension 2 or its equivalent, you either need to show you got close to 50/50 in Extension 1 or get a Credit average in the corresponding Normal units in first semester. Also, I think if you do B Sc.(Adv) or B Sc.(Adv Maths) you are allowed to take any advanced units at your own discretion.

The lectures for Advanced units go much faster and have more challenging questions, so if you're good at Maths and want a challenge, go for the Advanced units. You will be up against some of the best in the state at Maths so yeah....

Last edited:

lou071

HSC
N/A
can you give me example of difference between differential calculus question from normal level and advanced level?

jtyler

HSC
There's a pretty big difference in difficulty, and a very big difference in the rigour of the standard/advanced units. That being said, I only did 3U maths at the HSC and got great marks in advanced maths at uni. The biggest pain in the ass about the courses was the fact that every single goddamn lecture was scheduled for 8am. Needless to say, this led to a lot of skipped lectures. If you want to ensure success, dont miss a lecture, dont miss a tute, and make sure you finish the tute sheets every week.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Don't think I used a calculator for any of my maths exams past first semester of first year. It's interesting in first year but in second year (and moreso in third year) you start to realise that you can't possibly grasp everything in the course because it's all so complicated (though in my experience you can generally pull distinctions in later year subjects by understanding 1/2-2/3 of a subject).

EDIT: Also missing lectures is fine if there are lecture notes. Just make sure you do the tute sheets.

lou071

HSC
N/A
when i checked website, don't people who got band E4 in maths ext 2 allowed to do advanced unit? aren't they only ones who can take advanced unit?

imyh

HSC
MATH1901/1902/1903/1904/1905(one that I didn't do) are, at best, challenging to a Ext2 graduate in my opinion. There's a couple of new concepts, and you really need to get your head around it. (Especially differential calculus. Linear algebra is kind of easy).
really? is linear algebra really easy? I was choosing between it and biostatistics. is it easy to get distinction in linear algebra? do u have friends taking biostats?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
when i checked website, don't people who got band E4 in maths ext 2 allowed to do advanced unit? aren't they only ones who can take advanced unit?
No, that's for the SSP unit. If you've taken Maths Ext2 you should qualify for the advanced unit in maths, though a band E4 would help make life easier.
really? is linear algebra really easy? I was choosing between it and biostatistics. is it easy to get distinction in linear algebra? do u have friends taking biostats?
It depends on what type of person you are. If you are a rote learner who just likes number crunching then it should be easy. If you liked high school maths and like the more interesting aspects of maths rather than number crunching, then calculus should be easier. I personally prefer calculus over linear algebra...(as you might've already worked out :D)

lou071

HSC
N/A
I am asking about the PERSONAL OPINIOIN now.

How did you find differential calculus, linear algebra and integral calculus and modelling?

what level of maths did you do at HSC?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

How did you find differential calculus, linear algebra and integral calculus and modelling?

I did Extension 2 in HSC:
- Differential Calculus: pretty straightforward as it extends from Ext2 and the new concepts (e.g. calculus in 3 dimensions) are pretty easy to grasp.
- Linear Algebra: absolutely hated this unit. Vectors and matrices are basically new to everyone and it's nothing more than a number crunching exercise and it's very easy to make stupid mistakes.
- Integral Calculus: is an extension of Ext2 integration (which happens to be my strongest topic in the Ext2 course). It's the easiest maths course of all. More than half the course is basically revising how to integrate functions lol.

lou071

HSC
N/A
thank you,
so when you pick subjects and talk to academic staff, they usually recommend students try advanced unit if you did mathe ext 2?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
thank you,
so when you pick subjects and talk to academic staff, they usually recommend students try advanced unit if you did mathe ext 2?
When I enrolled and asked for permission to do the advanced math units, the guy asked, "did you take Extension 2 Maths?" and I said yes, so he signed the form, no further questions lol
Not sure how it will turn out in your enrolment though lol

lou071

HSC
N/A
from your experience, do you think students who got band E4 in mathe ext 2 easily get D or HD in first year maths?

lou071

HSC
N/A
is the tutorial sheets homework?

from the usyd website, tasks in maths subjects in general were
exam, assignments, quizzes etc..
so does every little quiz count toward final grade?

BigDk

HSC

from the usyd website, tasks in maths subjects in general were
exam, assignments, quizzes etc..
so does every little quiz count toward final grade?
no

Templar

P vs NP
HSC

They were all pretty easy. I did Ext 2 at high school.

No. There is no real concept of homework at uni. You go to lectures to learn the material, and then tutorials to do the problems.

jtyler

HSC
Assessment for the 1st year advanced maths units is 2 x tutorial quizzes (10% ea), 2 x assignments (5% ea) and the final exam (70%).

lou071

HSC
N/A
can you tell me what your opinion is about this please?

i know if the students completed maths ext2 at high school,
you are allowed to do advanced units. eg) differential calculus advanced

if you studied advanced unit, would you recommend students
who completed maths ext2 to do it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)