Advanced Maths Dilemma ??? (1 Viewer)

garry007

HSC
N/A
im doing linear algebra advanced but normal differential calculus..is that such a good idea? is adv linear algebra easier than adv differential calculus? Because on enrolment day when i was receiving special permission, the old lady for some reason suggested that i shouldnt do adv differential calculus as a 3 unit student because i'd be 'lost'...is that true? or should i just disregard her advice and change my diff calc to adv diff calc as well?

SeDaTeD

HSC
If you can handle maths well, then just go for it. Do the highest level you are capable of. Considering that you're offering tutoring for maths suggests that you should be able to handle it.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
garry007 said:
im doing linear algebra advanced but normal differential calculus..is that such a good idea? is adv linear algebra easier than adv differential calculus? Because on enrolment day when i was receiving special permission, the old lady for some reason suggested that i shouldnt do adv differential calculus as a 3 unit student because i'd be 'lost'...is that true? or should i just disregard her advice and change my diff calc to adv diff calc as well?
consideringscaling and all, id go for adv. if you can do adv for other maths why not. just work at it so you get a good grasp for it. i think youll find its worth it, particularly if you like maths.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
If you can handle maths well, then just go for it. Do the highest level you are capable of. Considering that you're offering tutoring for maths suggests that you should be able to handle it.
Or maybe he shouldn't be tutoring maths...
EDIT: And linear algebra draws upon the 4u concept of vectors.

garry007

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Or maybe he shouldn't be tutoring maths...
EDIT: And linear algebra draws upon the 4u concept of vectors.
maybe i should and i am ?

SeDaTeD

HSC
Oh, and looking at past normal and adv level calculus papers, I must say that the normal level is nowhere near the difficulty of 4unit (as in, considering material taught and how much problem solving is required in questions). Adv level, well I haven't seen anything along the lines of q8 equivalents.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
diff calc is equivalent to 4u maths, linear alg is equivalent to 3u maths...

that's how i see it any wayz... diff calc is way harder than linear alge...
alot of the concepts still puzzles some 3rd yr math students...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)