Advanced science subjects for 2nd year (1 Viewer)

Puzzle

HSC
Hi, I currently finished my first year of study last year for the bachelor of science (advanced) at Usyd. I didn't do as well as I hoped last year, and mostly got high credits. This year, I need 2 advanced subjects to actually complete my course, and the subjects I want to do need at least a 75 in 12 cp of biology subjects. The thing is, I chose mblg, and that significantly lowered my average for my other bio, so my 12 cp average is around 66. Is it ok if I do a first year bio subject for first semester, so I am able to get into the 2 subjects for 2nd semester? Or would that not count?

Thank you

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Normally you would be able to do junior subjects in your 2nd and 3rd year, or intermediate subjects in your 3rd year, if you so desired. Provided you are not contravening your course requirements, you would have complete freedom to pick whatever subjects you want.

However, the BSc(Adv) only allows you to do a maximum of 48 junior credit points. So unless you have taken any intermediate subjects last year, or did less than the standard load in either semester, you won't be allowed to take any more junior subjects in your degree. You could apply to the faculty for special permission, but I doubt they will be very sympathetic.

Depending on your marks for other subjects, you may still be able to get into BIOL2916 (Advanced Cell Biology) and BIOL2923 (Advanced Botany) if they interest you. Alternatively, you could take an advanced intermediate subject in another science area that you have studied, or take HPSC2900/HPSC2901, provided that you have a distinction average in any four of your junior subjects.

Read the handbook to see which prerequisites you satisfy.

Puzzle

HSC
Thank you for clarifying! I just asked them if I can do botany. It sucks because I keep missing out on everything by 1 mark. I got 74 for human bio. Hopefully they will be kinda sympathetic. I was thinking of doing adv psych too, but I missed out on that again by 1 mark. So unlucky...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)