Advanced Unit Enrollment (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i concur... also, 2nd yr stat is alot more fun than first yrs... u get to learn alot of theory stuff, alot of algbra... heaps cool...

very unfortunately i have to drop it in 2nd sem....

tennille

HSC
For those of you who have enrolled into CHEM2911, when you go on WebCT, does CHEM2401 come up? I know I have been enrolled in CHEM2911, but I'm just curious.

tennille

HSC
Thanks a lot. :)

I noticed it was the same web page for all 3 streams, but I was just wondering why the normal stream came up.

Tabanacle

HSC
regarding chem could some PLEASE explain this:

Theory assessment for CHEM2401 and 2911 is by 10% continuous theory assessment (quiz) and 90% end of semester examination. For CHEM2915, theory assessment is by 20% SSP assignments based on the special lectures, 5% continuous theory assessment (quiz) and 75% end of semester exam.
but in assessment info(the pdf file) it says the exam is worth 67% and the chem handbook says its worth 80%? lol does anyone know what's going on?

tennille

HSC
The 67% probably includes the practical weighting. The 90% is the revised theory assessment weightings. Maybe the 80% is the incorrect one, because one of them was incorrect.

EDIT: On webCT, it does mention the "changes to handbook".

Tabanacle

HSC
thanks just noticed that, but it still doesn't explain the pdf files info

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I think it means 67% of marks will come from theory, which includes quiz, assignment and final exam, and the other 33% is from pracs.

Tabanacle

HSC
that's what i thought but then it contradicts what's said on the "general info" page

tennille

HSC
The stuff that's mentioned on the general information page is only talking about the components of the theory assessment. 90% of the theory assessment is based on the exam, while the 10% is for quizzes. But overall, the final exam is only worth 67% because we have to take into account the practical asessments (like lab reports and practical exams, etc).

coulda

HSC
just an important question here...
I did Maths Extension 2 (4-unit) HSC and got a Band 6 result..same for Bio and Chem...when I went to get signatures from the junior year academic advisor..the chem one told me that they advise people not to do more than 24 cdp of Advanced units in a year, so it works out that if I dont take Maths Advanced units this year, then I'd have 24 cdp of Advanced units (plus that TSP thing)...

Since I'm not planning to do maths after junior year, should I just take Normal units to possibly cruise through, and ease some pressure off myself?
or should i go against their advice and take Advanced units in maths anyway?

please reply asap!! thanks heaps!!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Take adv. There is no pressure in adv. The only pressure there is would be doing normal and then getting a crap mark because of scaling.

I don't know why they won't let you do more than 24cp of adv. I did 33cp of adv subjects last year and I managed.

casebash

HSC
I'm doing 48 cp of advanced units and I know at least two other people are doing this as well. No-one seems to care about the limit.

coulda

HSC
ohh thanks for the quick replies =)

i forgot to add though that im also doing Law...and im pretty sure that law has quite a big workload (and besides, law actually isnt my thing!! dont ask why im doing it..) plus i'll be joining other clubs and societies that require significant hours like symphony orchestra, debating...

tennille

HSC
If you believe you would be capable of doing the advanced subjects, then do them. You received a great result for maths, so you should consider doing advanced maths. If anything, maybe you should cut down on your clubs and socs stuff so you don't overwork.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The workload difference between normal and adv is almost none existent. I prefer relaxing in adv knowing scaling will get me a HD rather than stressing with every assessment in normal since you need at least a raw 90% to get a HD.

tennille

HSC
Templar said:
The workload difference between normal and adv is almost none existent. I prefer relaxing in adv knowing scaling will get me a HD rather than stressing with every assessment in normal since you need at least a raw 90% to get a HD.
It really depends whether you meet the prerequisites to do first year advanced subjects. Different people have different learning abilities.

BTW, is there ever a time you're not cocky? :rolleyes:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Tennille said:
It really depends whether you meet the prerequisites to do first year advanced subjects. Different people have different learning abilities.
I suppose, but the person in question meets the prerequisites. Just iterating the view from a friend who qualified for adv but choose normal maths, and wished he should have done adv instead.

Tennille said:
BTW, is there ever a time you're not cocky? :rolleyes:
That just wouldn't be me. :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
nit said:
lol Templar is a cocky one indeed...:rolleyes:
As opposed to Mr I Feel Insecure About Everything and then aces every exam and beats everyone. :p

Not so confident about tennis tomorrow though. I know I'm going to get owned by everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)