Advanced Units (1 Viewer)

zeek

HSC
During enrolment i chose a couple of advanced units because i was really enthusiastic, however, i didn't take time to consider the workload and commitment that each advanced unit requires.
My subject choices are as follows:

MATH1901 Diff Calculus
MATH1902 Linear Algebra
PHYS1901 Phys 1A
CHEM1901 Chem 1A
BIOL1001 Bio

Anyways, what would the workload be like for these subjects? I'm willing to change CHEM1901 to a non-advanced unit (mainly because i don't really want to major in chem), but then would chem adv. be useful when doing anatomy and histology in 2nd year?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Haha, I'm doing the same advanced units as you and I'm in a combined degree! I got a really nice table on enrolment day which states what units you have to study to major in a particular field, dunno if you have it as well.
Chemistry Advanced is not necessary for Anatomy and Histology, though I do think it might help in some way.

zeek

HSC
BSc(Adv)/Commerce? haha iuno how you can stand commerce? :(

Where can i find this table?

tennille

HSC
Advanced chemistry isn't too difficult. Advanced Physics was crazy- I think even normal was pretty hard. Physics has a pretty large workload- you'll most likely have to do assignments every two weeks (assuming you guys will still be using the Mastering Physics program).

LostAuzzie

HSC
Advanced Physics turned me off Physics completely, and mastering physics was just a joke (easy to cheat the system as half the questions were just worked examples from the textbook).

They recommend only taking 12cp of advanced subjects in a semester, but you may be able to handle more.

Advanced Chem isn't all that different to regular chem so if you are only picking it for relevance to other science areas id suggest just doing the regular chem course.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
first year subjects are all ok imho...

2nd year starts loading real stuff...

casebash

HSC
The problem with physics is nobody really understands it (as far as i know). I was getting HDs and there was still a lot of stuff I didn't get.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The workload will be alright, except for bio, which might be pretty hefty. If you're worried about too many advanced cps, 18 is easily manageable, I've done 27cp advanced before and will be doing 30 this semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)