• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advanced vs Eng. X1 vs Eng. X2 (1 Viewer)

Which do you prefer of the three?

• Advanced English

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Extension 1

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Extension 2

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey I don't do extension 2 English. I don't know why I started this thread.

Which of the three English courses, Advanced, English Ext 1 or English Ext 2, do you love the most? (Please vote in the poll)

->Why do you prefer that one out the three?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
english extension one - i love love love postmodernism...

english extension two - got me the opportunity to show my understanding of postmodernism as well as put some kick ass flair into it.

I did well in both of these subjects so dont make me choose :'(

i found english advanced more like regurgitation than enrichment, i must admit.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I can see why we hate advanced English. It's worth more in value (it's worth 2 units).

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
English Advanced: while compared to the other english courses it was rather mediocre, I must say that I enjoyed King Lear and Frontline as they allowed some interesting insights. I have an abiding distaste for most of Journeys and the Pardoner's Tale/A Simple Plan though. The Creative Writing for Journeys was ok as well.

English Extension 1: Oh, how deliciously freeform and investigative it was! And we got to sit and eat pastries while heckling Marlowe <3 And who can forget The Real Inspector Hound?!:D While I greatly enjoyed this course, and I had a great teacher, I must admit I found the size of the responses required to be rather grueling - or rather, not the size required but the size you needed to compete with all of the other manic writers who use 4 booklets a question.:s

English Extension 2: In the end, I'd say this was my favourite - mainly because I set out with a rather outrageous idea and wasn't censored for it, like I would have been in Advanced and to an extent Extension 1. I did find the deadlines rather trying at times though, as well as the lack of support this kind of course has in the classroom.

BJHendy

HSC
i enjoy 2U for the fact that my teacher is so good and our class dynamic - apart from a few members - works so well. However course-wise i would have to say 2U is the most boring, well when you have to study journeys it is anyway - the other texts aren't to bad, i'm actually starting to like Cloudstreet and Hamlet is hilarious as is Roz and Guil are dead.

I'm rather annoyed at extension 1 - there's so many good areas to chose and i'm wishing i could have studied two courses of extension 1 rather than 2U - it's just so difficult to choose between 19th Century and Crime Fic since i really enjoy both. but it's good.

overall though, and i think the poll supports this, extension 2 is by far the best. the freedom to study and create has been really enjoyable so far... although i hate writers block. my teachers are really supportive and my class... well let's just say it will never be boring in extension 2... hehe were-badger syndrome (that will make no sense to all but about three people in this world so don't worry :p).

anyway i'm only doing this to procrastinate while i'm supposed to be writing an essay for adv english - grrr stupid simplistic and generic essay questions with 1500 word limits. goodluck to everyone in the hsc year - i know i certainly need it lol

benjams

HSC
EE2 all the way as I and the majority of people in the state are allowed to do something that they appreciate, and actually care for, rather then something that a flock of elderly people sitting around the BOS round table decide would be fun for students, who are considerably younger, to do.

Personally though, I believe that it is a teacher who makes a subject really work for you. Thank the lord i have an excellant, supportive, intelligent (you wouldn't believe some of the teachers at our school) teacher who actually enjoys mentoring us as a class. As a class we are a "good" class, varying but thats the best bit about EE2 isn't it?

Next, (although you didn't ask) I would definitely have to say Advanced English comes next. This comes down on the teacher. I had 2 okish ones in Year 11, however they weren't really passionate about it - it was just I THINK another job for them. But now however, we have this amazing teacher/author who just makes English so much more fun. Instead of trudging through Emma and The Tempest, I had/am having a ball with these texts. She just makes these so much easier to understand. She's tops!

Last is EE1 because of the teacher. I love crime fiction (weird i know) especially Agatha Christie - but really dislike it because of the teacher. It frightens me that the biggest and MOST important difference (to her) between The Big Sleep and The Skull Beneath The Skin was that one was a movie and one was a novel....that scares me....

HSC
N/A
EE2 dude... all the way. I hated the "formula-fulfilling" system of Eng Adv back then, and I still hate it now. EE1 gets a bit of leeway because I ended up doing very well in it, but I still remember a lot of frustration with it for a goodly amount of the year.

kami said:
I did find the deadlines rather trying at times though, as well as the lack of support this kind of course has in the classroom.
I disagree. :( Even back in Yr 12, I felt that I had HEAPS of times to do the assessments/write drafts etc. I mean, we get roughly a term per internal assessment... that being said a lot of us are procrasinators :p

Additionally, I had really good teachers so I got LOTS of support, which sometimes borderlined on motherly nagging! hahaha.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
EE2 takes the prize hands down. I loved EE1 as well because the texts we covered for 'retreat from the global' were pretty cool and my teacher was funky too. Advanced was just totally.... omg... no words to describe how dull i found it.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
As with . . . pretty well everybody . . . writing in this thread, I'd have to say EE2 is my favourite. The class discussions we get into are really quite productive but hilarious all the same. Our teacher is really odd (and random), but he's awesome.

EE1 on the other hand, I'm only keeping so that I can continue EE2. Aside from The Real Inspector Hound I really dislike most of our texts and I really don't like our teacher. The classes are boring and I really don't like the craploads of writing we are expected to do.

I'd probably slot 2U in between the two. I really like the texts we're doing, particularly Ros and Guil are dead, and our teacher is fantastic. She's quirky but she's the best Eng teacher I've ever had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)