Advantages & Disadvantages of a Scholarship (1 Viewer)

*rUsTy*

HSC
I know there's been talk of this in the past but I couldn't find the thread that people were talking about it in.

I've been posting a lot in here lately so I apologise if you're getting sick of my questions lol but I just wanna know from people who have first hand experience or people who know people who've had first hand experience with DET scholarships.

I remember people saying that the DET owns them once someone signs their contract but surely this must be a little extreme. After all it is a contract and I took a look at an example of the agreement they have on their website and they had a list of what I was sure were preferences (more specifically, which areas) of where you would like to work.

It looks like it has its perks as well in regards to paying you to study and then a guarenteed job at the end of it. The only thing I'd be worried about would be changing your mind but having to go through the course regardless.

So yeah, any input would be great.

*rUsTy*

HSC
So in other words, be 100% sure that this is what you wanna do...

undalay

HSC
1. Accept scholarship
2. Invest all scholarship money in something secure (cash investment with interest)
3. Graduate Degree
4. Decide if u want to be a teacher
If yes -> You've got a fuckload of money to do something with
If no -> Repay scholarship, keep interest

Iruka

HSC
N/A
1. Accept scholarship
2. Invest all scholarship money in something secure (cash investment with interest)
3. Graduate Degree
4. Decide if u want to be a teacher
If yes -> You've got a fuckload of money to do something with
If no -> Repay scholarship, keep interest

Problem: you don't actually get all the much cash in the hand with the DET scholarship - about $1500 a year, i think. The scholarship mostly consists of them paying your HECS debt for you. Which is one of the reasons I don't think it is a good scholarship - it does very little to improve your financial situation when you need it the most, i.e., when you are a student.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Yeah, only $1500 and it doesn't sound adequate enough If it were $1500 a month then we'd be in business lol.

Yeah, I'm thinking that a scholarship would have to be the definite last resort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)