Advantages/Disadvantages of doing B Education. (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
newcastle

the undergrad teaching programs consist of 32 subjects over 4 years, 18 education to 14 science, arts etc.

they're called BTeaching/BSomethingElse, but it's a program where neither degree exists independently

i'm rorting it a bit by changing my major repeatedly so i'll have done 20 science subjects

but it still wouldn't let me do something like honours or research in science, because it's not a real science degree

Last edited:

dvse

HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
Unfortunately, the 1 year dip ed at most unis seems to be a dying breed.

However, dvse's major argument is correct - you want to waste as little time in (any) school of ed as possible.

I wasn't aware of this. It sounds pretty appalling - let's stop those who are most likely to actually understand a subject from even thinking about being a teacher! Do you have any more info?

Last edited:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
That is totally screwed up - and its not even a Dawkins University.

I just finished BSc/BEd at UNSW - I did about 50% more maths than required for a maths major in the BSc and could have done honours as well, if I'd wanted to. However, they have since screwed up the double degree at UNSW, by adding about 12 UOC more of education nonsense. So I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
dvse said:
I wasn't aware of this. It sounds pretty appalling - let's stop those who are most likely to actually understand a subject from even thinking about being a teacher! Do you have any more info?
Yes, that is about what happens...

Seeing what they are doing to undergraduate teacher training, I am quite glad that I got my qualification when I did. Over the time that I have been at UNSW, they have decreased the number of UOC in maths required for the double degree (from 72 to 60) and just last year they increased the education part of the course from 78 to 90 UOC.

The dip ed at UNSW is taking enrolments this year (I think), but it is under review.

dvse

HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
That is totally screwed up - and its not even a Dawkins University.

I just finished BSc/BEd at UNSW - I did about 50% more maths than required for a maths major in the BSc and could have done honours as well, if I'd wanted to. However, they have since screwed up the double degree at UNSW, by adding about 12 UOC more of education nonsense. So I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody.

But is this coming from the federal level, state or individual schools of ed?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I believe it is a response to the NSW Institute of Teachers trying to *improve* teacher quality - so I guess that makes it a state level thing. Which is why it is happening everywhere, and not just UNSW.

darkprincess28

HSC
That's why I'm going to do a Bachelor of Adv. Science (in case i become interested in any avenues within science as i absolutely love it) and then do a DipEd.

I hate it when people put down teaching. People say the pay is crap, but in reality, the starting salary of a teacher is usually higher than the starting salary of a doctor - it will be around $55 500 by the time I graduate. Every year after that, it increases by about $2000 until around 75-80K. Then it's your choice on whether you want to apply for Year Advisor (adds on an extra 10k i think) or apply for a Head Teacher position (which has a base salary of approx 90-100k). Then go onto being a principal (my prior school's principal earns 155K).

Keep in mind that teachers get around 3 months off a year plus weekends and public holidays. And, the average working day is about 8 hours. Although, i feel sorry for english teachers and history teachers to an extent - because the marking is horrible. But if you love it, then english teachers wont find that a problem.

I'll be a science teacher, so marking won't be bad for me and as I said, I love science anyway so it would never be a burden.

People say that the job is repetitive and a dead-end type job. Teaching involves two things: passing on your skills of the actual subject and also helping people learn and grow. If you truly have a passion for teaching, you'd never find those two concepts dead end because every student and every grade of students are different.

Teaching is not for everyone just like medicine isn't for everyone. But if you have a passion for it, then you'll love it.

Edit: oh, and of course there is SC and HSC marking (my chemistry teacher gets an extra 5000 for only 10 days extra work) and of course after school tutoring which can add on anywhere from 10-20K onto a teacher's salary depending on how ambitious and active the teacher is (and of course, how good they can tutor).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)