Advantages of ethanol used as an alternative fuel (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Could I write this as an advantage?

The use of ethanol as opposed to petroleum could reduce carbon dioxide emissions as CO2 is absorbed by crops hence why it is also called a "greenhouse neutral"

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
So... you don't understand it or is it wrong? At least tell me how could I change it to improve the answer.
If your reason is that crops "absorb" CO2, then your not really reducing greenhouse emissions, since both ethanol and hydrocarbons combust to form CO2. So the CO2 in either case will be "absorbed" by the plants.

I think the idea that your trying to present is the net CO2 released into the atmosphere will be less than burning fossil fuels by ethanol since CO2 is released when fermenting glucose->ethanol + released from combustion, but is recycled by plants for photosynthesis.

Still a dodgy reason, since why do we even have a greenhouse problem if plants can just take all the CO2 from the atmosphere. HSC still accepts it though.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
If your reason is that crops "absorb" CO2, then your not really reducing greenhouse emissions, since both ethanol and hydrocarbons combust to form CO2. So the CO2 in either case will be "absorbed" by the plants.

I think the idea that your trying to present is the net CO2 released into the atmosphere will be less than burning fossil fuels by ethanol since CO2 is released when fermenting glucose->ethanol + released from combustion, but is recycled by plants for photosynthesis.

Still a dodgy reason, since why do we even have a greenhouse problem if plants can just take all the CO2 from the atmosphere. HSC still accepts it though.
Is there another way to word this more properly because this is the idea I'm trying to present.

Drsoccerball

HSC
I meant as in wording the advantage more clearly in a sentence.
Ethanol is considered carbon-neutral. This is because as it burns it produces water and carbon dioxide. This carbon dioxide is then used in plants for photosynthesis and ultimately forms glucose. Therefore since glucose is used for fermentation to make ethanol again, ethanol is carbon-neutral.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Alot of you are misusing words like "hence," "since," "because" etc.

I'm not sure what "carbon neutral" means aswell...

Drsoccerball

HSC
Alot of you are misusing words like "hence," "since," "because" etc.

I'm not sure what "carbon neutral" means aswell...
Making or resulting in no net release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, especially as a result of carbon offsetting.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I meant as in wording the advantage more clearly in a sentence.
"Another advantage to using ethanol as a fuel would be that it's overall CO2 emissions is minimal compared to petroleum as much of it is theoretically recycled by plants and used in photosynthetic reactions."

You include the question's key words when answering. Include equations.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Making or resulting in no net release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, especially as a result of carbon offsetting.
Never heard of any of those expressions, but if you know it's been accepted in the past, go ahead and use them.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Never heard of any of those expressions, but if you know it's been accepted in the past, go ahead and use them.
Ive seen them in many past papers and even questions ask : "Explain how ethanol can be considered carbon-neutral."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)