Advice and tips for prelim Mathematics (1 Viewer)

BabyBlueVamp

HSC
Hi,
I am taking Ext. maths, so the course involves mathematics. I was wondering if you guys can give me advice on how to cope with hard mathematics..
like tips and advices from experience.
did u come home and practise maths everyday. for a set amount of time.. and which books are gr8 for the course

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
BabyBlueVamp said:
Hi,
I am taking Ext. maths, so the course involves mathematics. I was wondering if you guys can give me advice on how to cope with hard mathematics..
did u come home and practise maths everyday. for a set amount of time.. and which books are gr8 for the course
if u have time u shud do as many questions as possible, make sure understand the concepts of each topic and after u know that, just do lots of questions,

for 2unit, fitzpatrick "new senior mathematics" is arguably the best textbook

btw, is that selena gomez in ur dp :)

Lukybear

HSC
Just do alot of questions, and youll get the hang of it.

-tal-

HSC
Be silent in class. By silent I mean no talking at all. Just focus on doing your own work. Trust me, the more time you spend not wasting it the better off you are. So stuff talking to your friends in class you'll be grateful for the extra time at home you could spend doing other things. Get into this habit.

Algebraic skills must be razor sharp.

And don't be lazy. Just because you understood most of it in class, doesn't mean you don't have to revise it at home. (look over your book if it was insultingly easy)

Also, practise a lot of calculus. Know that topic inside out, upside down. Most other topics are very basic, revision-type topics so stuff them. Spend your time on 3u.

You don't have to practise maths everyday (although that would be better) but I managed to get by with doing about 1h every second day.

If your school uses Maths in Focus, make sure you practise from one of these textbooks at home: fitzpatrick, cambridge, or the terry lee book. Maths in Focus is far too easy to allow you to learn the harder parts of prelim maths.

And New Senior Mathematics by JB Fitzpatrick is the king of 2u.

Last edited:

rellenayyy

HSC
well my biggest mistaike was not revising at home and not studying for exams.
sooo. yes. just cos you understand it and are gun at class doesn't mean you shouldn't study etc.
that's my advice =]
andddd don't write comments on your exam paper. bah. that gets you no where lols...
but yeah. 3u is aight. just be like amazing at the basics otherwise you'll be shitcentral when you need to apply all the basics into one question. then it's like BAM ! etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Be regular with your homework/practice. When I stopped doing homework my marks started going down but when I started again they went back up.

bored of sc

HSC
Whenever I get a question wrong I redo it until I get it correct.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
If you're taking Ext 1 and have a keen interest for mathematics, you'll have no problems with this course as it's relatively easy. As the others have mentioned, you should always be revising concepts and when you learn a new topic, I suggest you search for those questions in past hsc or trial papers, as they tend to be trickier and more interesting than text book questions. Finally, always feel free to post here if you've genuinely attempted a question to no avail - there is a multitude of fine mathematicians on this website :)

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC
Hi,
If you don't feel like studying, Don't study.

micuzzo

HSC
do your homework and revision... when revising try some past papers as well as Qs from your text book.

vds700

HSC
heres a useful link to some questions

http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=2

scroll down to "Preliminary" and you can download past papers and stuff, this is rly important, doing questions from past papers, not just the textbook.

BTW a bit up from Preliminary, you will see " CSSA HSC Trial Papers, Sorted by Topic, Questions from Preliminary Topics (1984-1996)", this is very useful too, as the questions are sorted by topic

TBK11

HSC
how can i Abolish Ext 1 Maths :) get like 97%+
keep revising till you can write the concepts and answers in ur brain?

bored.of.u

HSC
my plan since last year was to top ext1 maths at my school so this holidays i finished the prelim course for ext1 doing the 'maths in focus' book. Its a pretty simple book easy to understand. Write down all the formulae and identities u do while your doing the first time. Now im redoing the ext1 prelim course from 'cambridge 3u yr11' book much harder maths but im coping well since ive see most of the stuff the last time i did the course. Now u need to memorise the formulae n identities. Good luck for yr11 =D

HSC
mathematics is easy i think, dont stress too much about it. extension on the other hand...=P
just basically what everyone else has said...revise constantly, not just when it comes to exams & make sure you practise a variety of questions from a variety of textbooks.

h3ll h0und

HSC
doing most of the questions from cambridge 3U prelims has helped me do better in maths....and if i dont understand anything ijust ask my tutour :)

however if u dont hav a tutor u can use maths in focus in combo with cambridge so that u understand and u can do questions which challenge u and make u think xD .... and if u still cant do it ... ummm u cud ask a teacher or try and get a maths tutor?

jet

Banned
HSC
Find something interesting and use it to give you motivation.
My favourite was always projectiles and SHM, which incidentally worked out well in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)