Advice?? Anyone?? please lol Need info about BA (1 Viewer)

need2study_girl

HSC
Hi All! I'm currently a yr 12 student and i'm thinking of doing Bacholor of Arts next year at Callaghan campus basically cos I don't really wanna do anything else lol. Anywho... I was wondering if any one our there has majored in one of the following:
Cross cultural communication
Philosophy
Societies and Cultures
Sociology and Anthropology

If anyone has it would be greatly hugely appreciated if you could reply with your personal opinions on these subjects, which one you recommend, what you don't recommend, if they are intresting or worth while doing, what careers they can lead to etc. As i said it would be soooooo appreciated if you helped!!! (Thankyou in advance if you do help! :) lol)
Also if anyone knows where i could get additional information on these subjects would also help.

rific

HSC
mrbassman said:
can anyone say "unemployed"?
Oh, oh, I can! I can!

It's not quite that bad. Those types of majors can lead to some great careers, but they are tough to break into because, apparently, there are many people in those fields. I have friends that have done aspects of those majors in the past, and they say they are generally quite interesting to do, but if you really want to do those areas, I would suggest applying for a double degree, or starting an Arts degree and picking up another later to complement your area of interest, it will take a little longer, but you will be more employable and still get to do what you are interested in.

What sort on other info do you want?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
need2study_girl said:
i'm thinking of doing Bacholor of Arts next year at Callaghan campus basically cos I don't really wanna do anything else lol
Like have a career?

Anyway, the only advice I can offer is to go through the courses and pick the ones you think sounds good. http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=391&FOS=2&UGPG=13

However, as for philosophy, they've had a major cut down on subjects and you wont have any choices each year. I'm not sure if the others are the same.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
beware of lame arts student jokes directed your way...

its really not that bad.. just as long as you have hippy pants and a need to protest random blah crap

good luck!

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
I’ve done/doing introductory studies in sociology and anthropology. My advice, don't do them. Sociology and anthropology is so incredibly boring and you also have to sit a very tedious multiple choice exam.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Craig said:
I’ve done/doing introductory studies in sociology and anthropology. My advice, don't do them. Sociology and anthropology is so incredibly boring and you also have to sit a very tedious multiple choice exam.
so what? it's easy!
but yeh, definitely hated sociology..anthropology i'm finding BETTER, but..still crap
..depends what you're interested in though, of course

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I enjoyed sociology, but it was Education Sociology, so it was aimed at the degree im doing, much more targeted!

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Craig said:
I’ve done/doing introductory studies in sociology and anthropology. My advice, don't do them. Sociology and anthropology is so incredibly boring .

I concur!

I went to the first lecture of it and was so bored and confused about what the heck he was going on about that i left the lecture, went into the nearest computer lab and dropped the subject.

I enjoy the Sociology side of it, not the anthropology. I didn't mind SOCA 1010, and if your doing Society and Culture for your HSC, this won't be a hard course.

Beware of Cross Cultural Communication. I'm doing CULT 1100 at the moment, which is Communication and Culture, and i hate it... It depends on the individual i guess. If you enjoy sitting there and picking apart and analysing texts, then go for it.

I guess it's up to individual tastes... Do 4 subjects from different areas in your first semester just so you get a taste of everything and see what you like, then build upon that for the rest of your degree. Remember that you get 2 majors in Arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)