Advice for dropping physics or chemistry (1 Viewer)

MK2308

HSC
Hi everyone, my subjects are:
  • Adv english
  • Maths ext 1
  • Ancient history
  • Economics
  • Physics
  • Chemistry

which is a total of 13 units. I've been doing REALLY bad with physics and chemistry for year 11, mainly because I haven't studied nor has the teachers have been teaching effectively (not blaming them for my bad marks though, but other students claim this as well)
I've been wanting to keep chemistry and drop physics for year 12 but my results for chemistry prelims were horrible, and my friends say physics is a lot less complex than chemistry.

I was just wondering if I will be able to keep up with year 12 physics or chemistry even if I did horrible in year 11 if I start to put more effort in. Thanks ><

tomp1612

HSC
trust me i was terrible in preli physics, cause of the teacher but mainly you only need formulas for HSC physics and a tiny bit of knowledge, chem on the other hand is ridiculous, I know my chem units wont get counted unless i get like 100% in the externals which is like impossible so if your results were that bad I'd drop chem and keep physics as physics isnt that hard compared to chem :):):):):):)

barbernator

HSC
Hi everyone, my subjects are:
  • Adv english
  • Maths ext 1
  • Ancient history
  • Economics
  • Physics
  • Chemistry

which is a total of 13 units. I've been doing REALLY bad with physics and chemistry for year 11, mainly because I haven't studied nor has the teachers have been teaching effectively (not blaming them for my bad marks though, but other students claim this as well)
I've been wanting to keep chemistry and drop physics for year 12 but my results for chemistry prelims were horrible, and my friends say physics is a lot less complex than chemistry.

I was just wondering if I will be able to keep up with year 12 physics or chemistry even if I did horrible in year 11 if I start to put more effort in. Thanks ><
this is not true. IMO physics is more difficult conceptually, and chemistry just has more to learn while being less conceptual.

Yes you will definitely be able to keep up if you put the work in. If I were you I would keep both subjects until at least the half yearlies and see how you are coping. Also, you could get tutoring for each subject and that would help you improve as well.

good luck :)

HSC
Dropping would be dependent on what you want to do when you finish high school and what you actually need out of the two. Physics has harder concepts although chemistry is super difficult (I do both). But seeing as you do ext. 1 maths you can probably cope with the maths and what not in chemistry and physics is also higher scaled, but you can definitely lift your game for the HSC, year 11 content is fully different to year 12

MK2308

HSC
this is not true. IMO physics is more difficult conceptually, and chemistry just has more to learn while being less conceptual.

Yes you will definitely be able to keep up if you put the work in. If I were you I would keep both subjects until at least the half yearlies and see how you are coping. Also, you could get tutoring for each subject and that would help you improve as well.

Some friends suggested that I might keep both in case, so I might keep both subjects until half yearlies. Thanks :D

Dropping would be dependent on what you want to do when you finish high school and what you actually need out of the two. Physics has harder concepts although chemistry is super difficult (I do both). But seeing as you do ext. 1 maths you can probably cope with the maths and what not in chemistry and physics is also higher scaled, but you can definitely lift your game for the HSC, year 11 content is fully different to year 12
I think the course I want to get into (psychology) doesn't really require either subjects haha, more biology but I hear it doesn't matter. I'm just a bit worried because my ranks and previous exam results were a bit (or a lot) on the downside and that I may need to know some stuff from year 11 to do well in the HSC course :/

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
What were your ranks/marks in physics?
trust me i was terrible in preli physics, cause of the teacher but mainly you only need formulas for HSC physics and a tiny bit of knowledge, chem on the other hand is ridiculous, I know my chem units wont get counted unless i get like 100% in the externals which is like impossible so if your results were that bad I'd drop chem and keep physics as physics isnt that hard compared to chem :):):):):):)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
I think it depends on people because for me I believe I do better in physics than chem as I dropped chem after first lesson

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)