Advice for MDP - Graphics based projects (1 Viewer)

dreamstar

HSC
I have a plan on going into UTS Visual Communication course, so I'm thinking to do a graphics based MDP for next year.

Anyone know which graphics based project usually marked quite high? I know that it would depend on how many works I put in, how aesthetically appealing, and all those criteria, but just roughly, which one is the best to do?

- publishing
- website design
- packaging design
- advertising

and would be great if some of you could help adding into my list.

I heard from my teacher that graphics based projects are kinda common these days?

crossmyheart

HSC
I did a website and got nominated for powerhouse, so if you got any questions hit me up

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
they are growing in popularity, in my grades dt we had one that did an advertising campaign (she had a billboard sized poster and a few other ones too, each with a diffrent look), one person did a computer game and another did a computer based shopping centre info board.

im not sure what scores better, but you shoudl do something you will enjoy doing (after a year of doing it then youll know). they all get marked on the same criteria, and most marks are from folio work, and not what you choose to do.

dreamstar

HSC
shortygb said:
they are growing in popularity
my teacher said so too. thats why i think I have to do something really grand to get the marks >.<
I've been thinking of an advertising campaign for an issue tho.. eg. conserving the water/ racism in australia.
planning to do a range of posters, booklets, or maybe a website along with that..

most marks are from folio work, and not what you choose to do
so folio is more important than the product itself? how different is the percentage? I thought it was 50-50 before.

crossmyheart

HSC
60-folio, 40-project

my advice: dont do a range of products, just focus on one medium and do a great job of it

dreamstar

HSC
the thing is, wouldnt a little range of products can do as a backup in case your main focus product is not really that great to get you the marks?
Thinking about it again, I might have to cross the website, because it's pretty timetaking to make.. hmm

Last edited:

DanielleM

HSC
Design and Technology most the time is about innovation and emerging technologies.. off course the more innovative you are the more chance you have being nominated for design and tech.. however in terms of the markers marking if your product isnt inovative but creative and your have an excellent product and folio you will have no problem in gaining excellent marks!
Also dreamstar l suggest you just concentrate on one or two major ones rather than heaps of small ones since by the time you actually get started, time does run out. and l suggest you start asap.. cause l was kind of rushing mine in the last 3 weeks so time management needs to be managed really well atleast do a bit everyday!

veee

HSC
N/A
hey im making a magazine for my MDP.
has anyone got any ideas about programs etc. that i could use.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
veee said:
hey im making a magazine for my MDP.
has anyone got any ideas about programs etc. that i could use.
well the main desktop publishing programs are,

QuarkXPress
Adobe InDesign

(as a personal preference i prefer InDesign, but they are both industry standards)

also some crappy ones, that would probably do the job are,
adobe illustrator, ms word, ms publisher, but they are not industry standards.

there is also a free one called, Scribus, but i've never used it.

veee

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
well the main desktop publishing programs are,

QuarkXPress
Adobe InDesign

(as a personal preference i prefer InDesign, but they are both industry standards)

also some crappy ones, that would probably do the job are,
adobe illustrator, ms word, ms publisher, but they are not industry standards.

there is also a free one called, Scribus, but i've never used it.

Thankyou ! yeah im trying to get a hold of Indesign, but its so difficult and im a poor : D

razza001

HSC
does anyone know any good programs for stop-motion animation? the one i'm using sucks balls...

me121

Premium Member
HSC
razza001 said:
does anyone know any good programs for stop-motion animation? the one i'm using sucks balls...
is that where, you take heaps of frames and stick them together?

well most video playing software has a capture button that will capture the screen to a file (PowerDVD can do this). Use this to capture the frames, then use a program that stick's frames together. there are many to do this. Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas, etc, etc. but also there are many smaller programs that just do this. one comes with Bongo, search it and download the trial. it should give you a program to stick frames together.

Starscream

HSC
hey everyone :)
im doing an advertising campaign for my MDP im going to be participating in graphic design courses when i leave so if you want advice or help just drop me a line :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)