Advice leading to confusion (1 Viewer)

Nattles

HSC
I am really irritated by my teacher. She reads my story and says, "Anyone can write a good story. Experiment more!"

She doesn't want a linear story from me but I don't want to write a story totally random and confusing my reader!

I'm so confused. It's making me apprehensive to start writing again.

HSC
N/A
The EE2 course currently delights in postmodern works, and your teacher is probably pushing you towards that (assuming it's a technical issue... ).

If something really isn't your thing, I'm of the mind you shouldn't force yourself to do it unless it's merely an exercise in experimentation (eg uni-level writing courses) rather than a huge, chunka-munka MW (eg HSC EE2 MW). Stick with your strengths :)

pungemo

HSC
Have to agree with that, you never know what the board is going to say, and what actions they take seems to contradict half the things they say. If you don't feel that you can or want to write in a postmodern fashion then don't, it can get pretty damn confusing. Also, there are other ways of making a piece postmodern without resorting to non-linear structure, self-reflexivity or authorial intrusion, but they may be harder to implement over a pre-existing story.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Nattles said:
I am really irritated by my teacher. She reads my story and says, "Anyone can write a good story. Experiment more!"

She doesn't want a linear story from me but I don't want to write a story totally random and confusing my reader!

One thing I always try to tell people is that advice, no matter who or where it comes from, is just that - advice. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it isn't, but its up to you, the writer, to decide this and whether or not you can take it on board. So if you don't think you can work with what your teacher has said - then don't, follow your instincts instead.:)

Nattles

HSC
Guess what everyone? I started writing again.

Thanks guys for reassuring me and giving me YOUR advice. The reason why I was apprehensive was because she said something that made me feel low. She said, "Oh this story will only get you in the middle B's." Made me feel quite stupid and ordinary.

I did add a bit of postmodernism and hopefully when my teacher "reads" it she'll be a bit more happier. She told me to throw in more text types like diary entries and newpaper reports.

So I did.

I'll be back to report.

p.s i'm not from gildrey college

nwatts

HSC
Asheroth said:
I'm with Lynn. Don't prostitute yourself to the evil biases of the Board of Studies just to get a good mark :D
Err, the whole point of the HSC is to get good marks.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Nattles said:

I've got 6 pages here for you to look at about how to write short stories and some of the skills needed.It is from the English Teachers association. It's probably better if I mail them to you because of their size but you may have concerns about sending your address to a stranger (by private email)which I can understand. Is there a PO box no that I can send them to in order to protect your identity? I could meet you somewhere if you attend MacQuarie Uni after I get home from school about 3-30. i can send you a phone number if you contact my private email address and we can discuss getting this info to you if you want it-I think you will find it useful.
If you are happy mail is probably best.
Ian

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Nattles said:

Nah it actually sucks. Shes just being nice....teachers do that.

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Um, and the only reason to live is to earn money :p If you don't think you're going to earn a lot of money in later life, why try? Just kill yourself now and be done with it. Similarly, why are we doing EE2 at all? Omg... could it possibly be because we are royally pissed off at how a lot of the HSC is structured, and want the opportunity to DO SOMETHING WE LIKE rather than whoring ourselves for marks?

I've said this before to nwatts (very possibly in the EE2 forum last year), and numerous times around BOS, but I'll say it again so everyone can hear (again). I really don't give a f*** about what people get so long as they try hard and give it their best shot. That's all you can do, that's the best you can do.

And if you can do your HSC well *and* have a life, good on you :) Balance is an awesome thing.

Last edited:
J

jhakka

nwatts said:
God forbid we actually do a course we have an interest in. Everyone should be doing 4unit Maths and all Sciences. You're all idiots for even looking at humanities because they scale poorly.

/sarcasm

Here's a thought. There might actually be people doing their HSC for reasons other than a UAI. Some because they have to, others because future positions just want you to have a HSC regardless of your marks, and others just because it gives them options.

My God. How dare people take subjects they might actually enjoy at the expense of being a mark whore.

Last edited by a moderator:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
Here's a thought. There might actually be people doing their HSC for reasons other than a UAI. Some because they have to, others because future positions just want you to have a HSC regardless of your marks, and others just because it gives them options.

My God. How dare people take subjects they might actually enjoy at the expense of being a mark whore.
Super Saiyin powah!:p

But anyway - to the OP, there are heaps of people doing what they enjoy and doing well because of that - in this subject and others - and when they're doing what they enjoy it makes all of the difference. Just go with what you want and it will all come through.:)

nwatts

HSC
Oh dear you guys take this seriously.

Lynn, you may not give a fuck what people get, but i'm afraid to say you neither control their university applications nor do you seem like someone whose advice is worth listening to. What's the point of taking in what you have to say if you have no care whatsoever for the marks that will eventuate?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
nwatts said:

Lynn, you may not give a fuck what people get, but i'm afraid to say you neither control their university applications nor do you seem like someone whose advice is worth listening to. What's the point of taking in what you have to say if you have no care whatsoever for the marks that will eventuate?
I think the point she's trying to make is more that, both Lynn and Justin are more concerned about people retaining their sanity rather than stressing themselves only to get a mark.

EE2 is not a conventional HSC course, people don't always do EE2 just because they are good at English, rather, they often do the course simply because they enjoy writing or because they derive satisfaction from completing a huge project.

Marks aren't necessarily the be all and end all. Lynn and Justin are merely trying to remind the 06ers that losing their sanity by doing something they don't want to which may or may not equate to better marks, is not always the best thing to do.

Back onto the topic...

Nattles said:

What everyone has said is very true. The EE2 course, does (apparently) delight in post-modernism, and this may/may not get you marks.

Remember that, for the most part, a linear story written well, will do better than a post-modern story written badly. This is definatley about the quality of your work and the process etc, demonstrating "flair" (syllabus word)

After all, if we wanted to do a course which involved reguirgitation of the syllabus, we would have done a Math/Science right? :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
EE2 markers 'love' postmodernism, IF you can write it. Otherwise, don't buy into that pretentious bullshit, because frankly, if you don't feel your story, how the hell can you sustain interest from someone else for the thousands of words you'll be writing for?

nwatts: whilst the HSC may be about gaining good marks, the ability to get those marks becomes much more muddied within the arts/humanities subjects as they are very subjective. Again, you have to remember that they will be marked on a common criteria. The reason 'pomo' pieces are perceived to be 'highly' is because the ones you see do them very well. But those that don't do them very well, or don't fulfill the criteria get hammered, badly. My friend did a fairly safe piece, wasn't out there, didn't have any fundamentally critically acclaimed po-mo shit and got 50/50 for it. The only presence of pomo would have been the narrator talking in the intro/outro.

to the topic starter: By all means take on board what she says, but if you feel uncomfortable, tell her, or find another mentor who can help you through. Its a fine balancing act of satisfying the internal marks to try and get that elusive E4, but at the same time, don't do it because it'll get you marks when you hate it, because it'll show in your piece.

gorgo31

HSC
This should help your predicament:

Board of Studies 2005 Examiner's Report said:
A simple story well told continues to be an engaging option.
Also, studying postmodernism at Uni across several disciplines has revealed to me that Year 12 students, especially in EE2, are very likely to misinterpret and butcher it. Few major works that I've read, including many in the Showcases, actually demonstrate any real conceptual engagement with postmodernism. However, if you're still worried about your mark, then yes, I'd suggest experimenting with form and structure. But don't go writing about "adding postmodernism" to your work in your reflection statement.

Last edited:
J

jhakka

nwatts said:

What the fuck is your problem? Honestly.

On English Extension 2:
As far as this course goes, as Mike mentioned there are other ways than pomo to getting high marks. The only reason pomo appears to be the key to high marks is because the ones that get recognised (in Showcase, etc) are pomo-esque. You are intelligent enough to know this and should not be encouraging their people to bend over backwards in order to use a style they may not be comfortable with. And with any style, if you can't do it you won't do the marks. One should always stick to what they know and what they are good at, using their skills to the best of their ability while sticking to the criteria. This is the key to marks.

On your attitude towards others in the community:
You are a coward. You have criticised my modding in public at least twice (here and in Reading Room), as well as Lynn's at least once (in here), and yet each time I direct you to somewhere where you can solve the problem in private, I see nothing. You bitch about my modding to other moderators, and even when they direct you to the appropriate places to complain, you never take it up. Do you expect us to be cowed by the fact that you're rude and arrogant? We know you're intelligent, but no one respects arrogance. Do you expect me to change my moderating approach just because you'd do it better?

You are in no position to talk to people on this forum the way you do. You treat others like shit and expect them to accept your opinions or insults because they are "obviously morons", and then complain when other people "act like a moderator". If you have such problems with behaviour like this, especially in my forums, take it up with me. If you think you can do the job better apply for a moderator position yourself. I'm sure your arrogance will be a key factor when deciding on that vote.

You're all talk. Bitch all you like in public, but I'm sure you don't have the guts to take it somewhere where the problem will be solved. If you're going to post like this, stay the hell out of my forums.

You have the right to post, but if you do, you are expected to be polite and treat other members with respect. No rudeness towards others will be tolerated, and I will delete such posts on sight.

My apologies to Nattles. This has nothing to do with you, and I encourage other users to give you any advice they can. I sincerely hope nwatts will take any issues he has to the appropriate areas so any of his issues can be resolved, and the discussion can be continued without any further nastiness.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Got your message Nattles.You will have the help you need by Wednesday.

Ian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)