Advice needed for everyone-How to start the central material of the PIP (1 Viewer)

Jessisbored

HSC
I've done alot of my research and i've finished my introduction. I'm going to start my central material now and have alot of information to put in it, but I'm not quite sure how to start it off, I keep getting confused as to what I should say...? Should it be like an essay intro discussing what will be included or what? I'm very lost...

philly17

OMG thats exactly the same as me Im so unsure of how to start and structure the central material HELP US!!

jessum

HSC
i was thinking bout that yesterday.. i think i decided that id get a big piece of cardboard and draw up a big thingy with each subtopic and the concepts for each bit and how to relate everything.
but i dont have a clue how to write it hey... please help?

Jessisbored

HSC
wow...that actually a fantastic idea to know what you want to talk about...good thinking!' I've got a whiteboard to do it on

yes but we are still on square one....:) not sure how to start writing

missyA

mehh
im doing my pip on juvenile justice and youth crime but i cant think of a catchy title, anyone got any ideas??

Jessisbored

HSC
thats not what this thread is about...its about how to do the central material

theres another thread on titles and ideas

jeska

the way my class has done it is by establishing what the chapters will be, then sorting all of the information in our pip log into the relevant chapters

shell_bell86

i agree that we need some advice from people with PIP experience because i am struggling with my central material.... ive looked at past pips but i don't want to copy their style if its wrong!

Jessisbored

HSC
hehe, how can they be wrong? are they ones from the state library? coz if they are then they r the ones which have received a prize so theyd be correct.

Or they could be a friends one...
my teacher wont let us see other pips from our school in past years, i dont know why coz they were quite good

how stressful

Kulazzi

HSC
we had to do a 700 word report on rites of passage for our prelim soc class and i couldn't write anything either. So what a friend suggested is write down everything that comes to your head, even if its a jumble and sort it out on which concepts or whatever it goes under....and then expand or write in full sentences abt it....whatever you think souns good as an intro then use it........i hope that works guys :)

Jessisbored

HSC
omg i've actually started! whoah that took a while...

Okay guys i can try and give you advice coz what i did was i started writing something really personal and the reason for choosing that topic in the first place then i just started talking an talking (writing should i say) and it all fell into place. if you have no idea how to start but you know what you want to say, just begin with that in the middle (start writing not at the beginning), who cares, so once you've said everything you want to say, then go back to the beginning and work out what you'd like the examiners to see first. try and make an impact...

i did start from the beginning though, i hope this helps...

alby

cool duckie
HSC
my teacher said to start with your body structure (chapter outlines), get ur info together in that order, write the body, then do the intro & conclusion, etc.

also a quick question, has anyone been told not 2 do chapters cuz the markers dont like them? my friend told me this, but my teacher's a marker & every1 i know's doin them (not just at my skool)

Last edited:

frazzle

HSC
chapters

I've never heard about the markers not liking chapters. It seems to be the opposite, I've been told by many that chapters are the best way to go, it's easier to read, and write, and it's more oarganised.

I'm trying to write my central body right now, I've kind of sorted out a plan by cahpters, and now I'm just spewing out everything I know by each chapter! Hope it works...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
With or without chapters, it is the quality that is upmost important. A good piece of work will get good mark regardless of the way of organisation in the Central Material.

Regarding how to start your Central Material, you guys have came up with some great ideas yourself. Don't forget to check the "Example of PIPs" thread. I've added one chapter of a High Distinction PIP in there (Chapter 1), which will show you one of many excellent ways to start your Central Material. Good luck people!

J

jhakka

I just launched straight into a case study. You should introduce your work in the intro, right?

J

jhakka

Mines all secondary research, personal observation and content analysis. Sorry. Can't help ya.

mishka

HSC
N/A
because you have a mixture of primary/secondary, you could compare and contrast. a lot of my primary research seems to slightly disprove secondary material i have analysed and read. just make sure it all flows, and don't forget to add references to concepts and so on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)