Advice needed: Preparing for English Adv Trial paper 2? (1 Viewer)

wLym

HSC
I have yet to see an English Adv Trial Paper 2. I know it consists of 3 sections on King Lear, Emma, Ted hughes. Is it alright to go in with a few prepared points on each module, or does the question vary so much taht i need to know everything? :S Any help would be appreciated.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Look at the syllabus for each module, and condense the main 'ideas' down into <6 (if possible) "themes". these themes should be the core ideas of the syllabus and thus the core ideas of any possible exam question.
for these, write 5 different thesises, or 'lines of argument' each. that way, you have prepared thesises for what ever areas of the syllabus your exam questions come from.
for example, in crime fiction, i have the areas of
context
human nature
enduring popularity
etc etc. from those ill develope lines of arguement of thesises about each area. ie, the eduring popularity of crime fiction is reliant upon its ability to manipulate and subvert the genre
it quite often helps if you ask you teacher for assistence to begin with.

mind maps. take each module, and condense it into a mind map.
you can do it thematically (the best way in my opinion), by techniques for something like frontline, or text by text.

organise a study group with your friends. test yourself on quoting texts and then giving examples of techniques and their effects. this works the best with shakespeare ive found.

read texts alloud to yourself.

post-it-note key quotes to the toilet door or your bedroom walls.

colour code your notes. say, yellow for quotes, blue of technique and pink for effect. makes stuff easier to find, and i often remember things in terms of colour codes.

--

Thats how I study for english (and most of my subjects).

bored of sc

HSC
I'm only in year 11 but I think they can ask you a question that incorporates virtually any form of writing e.g. essay, imaginative response, speech, description, discussion, report etc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I can't imagine what we'd know about it that you don't. :p

wLym

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Look at the syllabus for each module, and condense the main 'ideas' down into <6 (if possible) "themes". these themes should be the core ideas of the syllabus and thus the core ideas of any possible exam question.
for these, write 5 different thesises, or 'lines of argument' each. that way, you have prepared thesises for what ever areas of the syllabus your exam questions come from.
for example, in crime fiction, i have the areas of
context
human nature
enduring popularity
etc etc. from those ill develope lines of arguement of thesises about each area. ie, the eduring popularity of crime fiction is reliant upon its ability to manipulate and subvert the genre
it quite often helps if you ask you teacher for assistence to begin with.

mind maps. take each module, and condense it into a mind map.
you can do it thematically (the best way in my opinion), by techniques for something like frontline, or text by text.

organise a study group with your friends. test yourself on quoting texts and then giving examples of techniques and their effects. this works the best with shakespeare ive found.

read texts alloud to yourself.

post-it-note key quotes to the toilet door or your bedroom walls.

colour code your notes. say, yellow for quotes, blue of technique and pink for effect. makes stuff easier to find, and i often remember things in terms of colour codes.

--

Thats how I study for english (and most of my subjects).
Thank you! I think i panicked a bit and tried to read through and memories everything :S. Right now i think ill start typing up core ideas, based on my essays through the year, it shouldnt take too long. The trial is tomorrow, wish me luck, and thanks for your advice! =]

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
wLym said:
I have yet to see an English Adv Trial Paper 2. I know it consists of 3 sections on King Lear, Emma, Ted hughes. Is it alright to go in with a few prepared points on each module, or does the question vary so much taht i need to know everything? :S Any help would be appreciated.
honestly, KNOW EVERYTHING

our essay on Hamlet and RAGAD was so obscure it destroyed half my grade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)