Advice on choosing electives (1 Viewer)

kitty28

Having received the re-enrolment pack in the mail today I’m starting to think about choosing electives for next year. I'm studying B Medical Science but I want to do at least one unit from School of Humanities, either * India: History in the Making of a Nation, * New Ethnicities, Old Racisms, * Foundations of Asia OR * Democracy in Asia. (I know these units have nothing to do with Med Science but they seem really interesting from a personal perspective).

I have to choose two electives next year and then four more in my last year. So, I was thinking that I could choose 1 or 2 Humanities units and the rest as Science units.

Should I stick with all straight science subjects or mix it around to include units that (personally) interest me? (Don’t get me wrong… I love science and what I’ve learnt so far this year has been great!)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Do alteast some subjects that you *think* you will enjoy. Thats why you get so many electives. So you can personalise your degree to your liking and your own interests.

If the subjects that you want to do aren't on your home campus, then you will need to email the unit co-ordinator to get their permission to do the subject. They are pretty good, they generally allow anyone to do the subject, as long as you give them notice.

However, electives quite often clash with core subjects, especially if they are on different campuses. Its sometimes very hard to get your ideal subjects, so you can also see if you can take them externally as well.

Yup, I'm blabing now. Good luck with your subject selections :)

klh

HSC
please, please check th online handbook for any prerequisites youhave to meet...than check your own degree as to whether it allows you to fit it in, and whether if you do a major in science will benefit the degree. i mean yeah, you can learn stuff you are intereseted in, just that some degrees [like mine] rely in theelective to do a major so to enhance the degree.
also, if you know nay arts students, ask them what its like. arts is known to have many essays, not like science where is defined. also are you considering any majors with your electives or just doing anything that interests you?
anyway, do what you like, but most importantly is to check with your coordinater so to get the porper signatures, policies etc.

hope all goes well.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I hate choosing electives sometimes. The handbook makes them seem so interesting, but after half a semester or so, they are actually shit. I've made bad choices in electives so far, I'm starting to regret it :(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Urban Geography - went for like one lesson the whole entire semester. Lecturer decided it would be fun to have group discussions every week. His teaching was an excellent time to catch up on sleep.

Sustainable tourism and recreational planning - this subject is supposed to be a year long subject, but its condensed into one semester. The lecturer is so annoying, he constantly changes his mind. And the final assignment, which i still have to start is worth 50%!!!

They are my two bad electives that I chose.

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
question off topic but where do we get the hecs forms from? and that package everyone has been talking about

i got the elective thing in the mail today but im just worried about the hecs form thingy as i have finished uni for the semester and i the only time i will be turning up is to do my exams

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I think they have changed it, since the new system came in this year.

If you defer your payments, but you want to pay upfront, then you need to go to the student centre and pick up a Commonwealth Assistance Form. And vice versa if you pay upfront and want to defer.

Thats how I understand it anyway. They don't send the HECS forms out anymore. You are recorded in the system.

ally15

Beep.
HSC
how do we know what our core subjects are?

are we told by the current lecturers?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
oh ok i didnt know about this. So they still send out invoices and if you pay up front you just take the invoice to the student cantre and pay?
Yes, they should. I don't know if what I said was right, its just the way that I read it.

ally15 said:
how do we know what our core subjects are?

are we told by the current lecturers?
Ally, check the handbook here: http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=3618.2 - your in for a killer second year :p

Lecturers don't know jack shit about what subjects everyone does.

klh

HSC
i feel sorry for jack shit...seems no one knows him...hahaha
ok, after my smart ass comment, i dont think there are any more hecs to fill, as its CSP...ok mere technicality. but if you want to change, you do it yourself, last year we had to fill in a new form as it was a new "system", now that everyone is implmented inthe new system, no need to redo teh CSP/Hecs form [as i have suggested in an elarier thread]

natstar, i think its as per normal as before, re enrolemnt this tikme is internal thing i think. nothing about hecs.

ally15

Beep.
HSC
hmm...i dont know what to do. I think i want to do something with art and business marketing...where do we find out subject names and timetables?

*wait....in the handbook right?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ally15 said:
hmm...i dont know what to do. I think i want to do something with art and business marketing...where do we find out subject names and timetables?

*wait....in the handbook right?
Handbook

Timetables
The draft timetable dates will be available from 24th october.

Some of my friends did business subjects during their free electives, while I did bludgy tourism subjects :p

klh

HSC
i recently emailed teh marketing coordinaters [blacktown was more helpful than parra] and got this reply from Nick Scott:
Unit Search: key in 2503 (BBus Mktg) and look at
the 8 marketing units set down for 2nd & 3rd year. Four of these
constitute a marketing sub-major.

so bascially ppick any of those and that may help you achieve an major/sub major. but you must do prerequisites. i cannot as i do not satisfy so yeah...you need stats, marketing principles etc.

arts: check tha thandbook, there is lots of info about it.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
i know this sounds dumb...but when selecting units for 2006, do we only look at units that are level 2..? any help would be appreciated

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
No. You can choose any level electives, as long as you DO NOT do more than 10 level 100 subjects.

Although, if you are thinking of doing level 300 subjects, leave them until atleast the second semester. Because they are generally third year subjects.

For example, this year, for my electives, I did 2 level 100 subjects, 1 level 300 subject and 3 level 200 subjects. My 2 cores were level 200 though.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
ok cool..thanks..so im able to do level 2 and level 3 subjects..ok thats pretty cool..thanks

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
ok ill keep that in mind..i was mainly lookin at international management as a unit..but i think it was level 3..so yea may have to think it over if the levels equal the difficulty level..

klh

HSC
yes Im and SM [not what your thinking, its Strat managment] are very high theory and hard subjects as the theories are rich and complex. my team members have and are doing this subject [they are 3rd years, im only in 2nd] and say that its hard, you need alot of time and the assignments and how they are done suck. i thijnks it M that you aare picked randomly to do weekly presentations so you have to do the presentations every week in case you are picked...very stressful.

but i suggest if you do do that subject, to allow time, so either doing less a load [e.g. 3 sub instead of 4] will reduce alot of stress. or if you aret bludgy and can focus and motivate yourself and get time, then do normal loadings.
i am doing it next year as well with strat so yeah 2 very hard ones together...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)