Advice on choosing my Commerce major(s) (1 Viewer)

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice regarding what I should choose as my commerce major. For context, I'm doing a double degree in law and commerce and UNSW, and my career aspirations would be to work in the legal domain as a lawyer (maybe corporate, criminal, private law field, not sure though), and eventually enter the bar. I would ideally like to choose something that works hand in hand with my law degree, if possible, because I'd like to use my commerce degree.

The majors are:
- Accounting
- Business Analytics
- Business Economics
- Finance
- Financial technology
- International business
- Information Systems
- Marketing
- Human Resource Management
- Taxation

I believe I can double major as well.

I'm currently interested in taxation (but I've heard that it's hard to make your timetable work for law students), finance, and maybe even HRM.

If you can run me through what you know about any major, what it consists of, my options are career-wise, why it's valuable, etc, and the amount of maths even, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, from a legal perspective, Human Resource Management is mainly focused on the Fair Work Act 2009 and on government bodies such as the Fair Work Commission and the Fair Work Ombudsman (as you would've studied back in HSC Business Studies). Other areas of law may also be intertwined with this field, including legislation such as the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. In other words, employment law is generally directly connected to HRM. This means that the concurrent study of law and commerce with a major in HRM may open the door to a legal career involving employment law.

The Taxation major also seems suitable with respect to a career in law. The understanding and knowledge you will gain from studying taxation would constitute a good combination alongside those gained by studying Human Resource Management (should you decide to pursue a double major), which you can consequently utilise as part of your career as a legal practitioner, i.e. taxation law (which is considered relevant to HRM and may have some underlying connections with corporate law).

I hope this helps! 😄

Greninja340

HSC
can one choose majors in first year for commerce or is it only during second year we can choose? or does it depend on the uni?

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, from a legal perspective, Human Resource Management is mainly focused on the Fair Work Act 2009 and on government bodies such as the Fair Work Commission and the Fair Work Ombudsman (as you would've studied back in HSC Business Studies). Other areas of law may also be intertwined with this field, including the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. In other words, employment law is generally directly connected to HRM. This means that the concurrent study of law and commerce with a major in HRM may open the door to a legal career involving employment law.

The Taxation major also seems suitable with respect to a career in law. The understanding and knowledge you will gain from studying taxation would constitute a good combination alongside those gained by studying Human Resource Management (should you decide to pursue a double major), which you can consequently utilise as part of your career as a legal practitioner, i.e. taxation law (which is considered relevant to HRM and may have some underlying connections with corporate law).

I hope this helps! 😄
This is very helpful, thank you so much!

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
can one choose majors in first year for commerce or is it only during second year we can choose? or does it depend on the uni?
I'm not too sure about other universities, but for UNSW, we choose our majors in our second year. This is because we spend our first year and one semester from our second year doing the commerce first-year integrated courses (double degree students finish it later because of the maximum units of credit you can do and what not). The reason I'm enquiring now is because class enrolment opened up a while ago and I want to be ready for class registration before hand : )

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the university. I go to WSU and picked my major when I enrolled. I took my first HR major unit in my first semester, as per the course schedule, although this is something that is rather flexible, i.e. you do not necessarily need to select a major right from the start. You must, however, have selected a major by a certain period, which I believe is the end of the first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)