• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advice On Future (2 Viewers)

velvet-skies

Theres a summary down the page for those lazy readers.

Im currently a year 12 student at a public school.
I am now thinking about whether i should repeat year 12 because of my not so fabulous marks. Which means a low UAI.

I fed my marks into the SAM.. and let's just say it wasnt so good =(
i got 30.65.
By anyone's standards thats low.

I do
Standard English (adv wasnt offered at my school)
2u maths - couldnt handle 3 u cuz it was after school and i was usually really tired
physics - i can grasp physics pretty well..
senior science - i get the basic outline
SDD - im into computers so this isnt much of a problem.

But yeah back to my UAI.. i really want to get into uni.. with a mark of 90+.. right now thats IMPOSSIBLE.

So all i can think of atm is repeating and really trying harder.

I just want to get some other opinions on the topic.

Also if i do repeat i know for sure im not going back to the same school. I was thinking of changing schools and repeating year 12 there.. but friends are saying might as well go to TAFE and do it.

Theres that in mind.. and also whether i should bother doing the HSC this year.. or just go to a new school in Term 4.

Im really confused. I hope i made some sense..

**SUMMARY**
I got really bad marks in year 12.. thinking of Repeating Not sure how to go about it..
Options :
Change school for term 4 start again.
Complete HSC and try for HSC again in TAFE.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
In my opinion, i think you should go to tafe... changing schools just means people are going to think your weird, so theres no point because its extra stress.

And you UAI wont be that bad... your school probably gave you raw marks not scaled marks

mack

Banned
HSC
From what i can gather, it sounds like you have put raw marks into SAM. As many others have said before, this is exactly what youre NOT supposed to do. SAM will predict a UAI miles away from what youre really heading for, so do not make a decision based on what raw marks and SAM have made. You need to estimate how youd fare against the state-which at this moment is all guesswork. Wait until you get your trial marks back, then use SAM again. At least then youll get a somewhat decent estimate, and then youll be in a position to decide whether or not to repeat yr 12. My opinion would be not to repeat unless you receive a UAI severly below 90(which is what youre aiming for), there are plenty of other options available to get into a uni couse, repeating should always the last resort, and remember if you go through it all again and get a lower UAI you're stuck with the lower one.(I couldnt imagine going through that, itd be suicide for me!). My advice would be to start seriously working, going through the syllabus, doing practise papers, up until the HSC. At my school we only have around 40 or so days of actual school, so that right there is serious motivation.40 more days of hell and then the rest of our lives. Take a step back and look at it in perspective. Its quite motivational.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
What are your ranks - and what is the performance of your school - this will give others a better idea when they are predicting your UAI.

btw When you said that 3U was after school, did you mean that the 3U-2U people were in the same class and you had specific extension lessons? I have never heard of that.

velvet-skies

Zarathustra: Yeah we have the 2/3uniters in one class and the 3unit classes are held after school. =\ its why i couldnt bear it.

Ok yeah i put in my raw marks.. heh didnt know iw asnt supposed to.. ok my marks and ranks are:

English standard : -
Exam Mark - 53% 12/42
Course Mark - 64% 11/42

Maths 2u :-
Exam Mark - 42% 11/12
Course Mark - 46% 12/12

Senior Science :-
Exam Mark - 68% 2/11
Course Mark - 43% 6/11

Physics :-
Exam Mark - 58% 4/9
Course Mark 62% 4/9

Software Design And Development :-
Exam Mark - 56% 2/8
Course Mark - 63% 2/8

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I don't think it's as bad as a 30... depends on how your school usually goes.
But think about it. Would you rather repeat another whole year, or would you rather work hard and easily top your school with a decent performance in the trials (I'm assuming your school is a typical elementary one based on the fact they have courses like Senior Science and low student numbers).
Then 90 might be out of the question, but you can do a lot better than 30.

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Estel that elitist attitude will get you nowhere:p Although with only 42 people in your grade and none doing Advanced - it doesn't look promising. I believe in such an environment it is difficult to be a diligent student and as such you will fall far below your potential. Move to a better school or TAFE but don't repeat at the school you are at now. The other option is to blitz the trials as Estel mentioned - if you get a decent UAI (i.e 70+), you could go to UWS (or equivalent) and transfer later to your desired course.

Velvet-skies, what UAI does your dux usually obtain?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
you may find that changing schools will not help. say you're going to a more elite school, you have to consider factors of getting in first. even if you do decide to go to a different school with new subjects, you have to bear in mind that your learning all over again-even repeating the subjects are really boring. I repeated maths because i was an accelerant and i can tell you now, i'm so lazy even though i changed schools in year 12 to a more elite school. This, however, has not changed my study patters. I suggest you give this year a go, and see how things turn out. As someone has said above, you only typed in raw marks into SAM and beleive me, if you put in the effor now you will be plesantly suprised with the marks that come out in the end :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
This optomism is starting to get soppy.

Zarathustra: I have good reason to be elitist. :p
Besides, somebody needs to validate Nietzsche.

Don't see how changing schools at this stage could possibly help.

santaslayer

HSC
I'm thinking that you entered your marks incorrectly. Have you taken into account moderation of marks?

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
im in the same situation as you, but a year on...i finshed my HSC last year and did really poorly..im now redoing my HSC at TAFE and killing it
:)

pm for more details

velvet-skies

Zarathustra
i think the dux of last year got 96.5 or 97.5 one of them.. and yeah he did really well in school.. everyone talks bout him hehe.

Ok im thinking atm that ill complete my trials in approx 4/5 weeks but really study for it etc.. get results enter into the SAM and post em up again hehe.

Hmm im not familiar with the process of getting my HSC in tafe.. could anyone enlighten me?..

Also.. say if i move schools or wutever to do year 12 again.. hows that work?
cuz dont year 12 of next year start term 4 this term?.. and if i complete my HSC and start next year.. wouldnt i miss 1 term of work?..
im confused..

**EDIT**
forgot to ask.. if i do my HSC again in tafe or new school or wutever.. how would my subjects be like..
cause for year 11.. i chose
Standard English
3u Maths
Software Design & Development
Information Processes and Technology
Physics and
senior Science

According to the BOS i have droped 3u maths and IPT.. so when i redo it can i like pick up adv english?.. and keep 3 u maths?..

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Estel
This optomism is starting to get soppy.

Zarathustra: I have good reason to be elitist. :p
Besides, somebody needs to validate Nietzsche.

Don't see how changing schools at this stage could possibly help.
he goes to sefton, so he is hardcode physics professor :D Look at how many 100's they turn out, like 17 or so??:D

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Sefron has 17 100s? What do you mean?

Nietzsche was elitist:eek:

A man who strives after great things, looks upon everyone whom he encounters on his way either as a means of advance, or a delay and hindrance—or as a temporary resting-place. His particular lofty kindness to his fellow-men is only possible when he attains his elevation and dominates. Impatience, and the consciousness of being always condemned to comedy up to that time—for even strife is a comedy, and conceals the end, as every means does—spoil all intercourse for him; this kind of man is acquainted with solitude, and what is most poisonous in it.
Nietzsche

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I'm not saying Nietzsche is elitist.
I'm saying Nietzsche calls everyone an elitist bunch of @#%#$%#$%$#%#%$8#%@#$%@*($.

In the most eloquent possible way of course.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
wrx, I think you got that mixed up with the number of 30's we churned out last year. :p

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
i thought that if your repeat your year

your uai still going to be the average of previous and current year

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hey, ure ranks don't seem that bad. What's your school? You could get a uai in the upper 70's or low 80's depending on your school. If you improve ure ranks in everything u could get ure target uai if u do extremely well in the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)