Advice on subject choices (1 Viewer)

Aussiechick

HSC
I've been through my course choices and have picked 8 that I think will suit me. (I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts, leading towards English/History teaching) Here's what I came up with. Anyone from wollongong uni that's taken any of these, please tell me if they're any good!

Autumn
Introduction to Literature and Screen Studies (English)
Education 1 (Education duh)
Aspects of Australian Society (Sociology)
Australian Politics (Politics)

Spring
Living Australia 1800-2000 (History)
Contemporary Writing in Australia (English)
Education 2 (Education)
The Cold War & After (History)

It sounds like I really love australian stuff, but really there isn't much else you can pick from that's any good IMO lol

On both monday and wednesday I have 4 lectures/tutorials in autumn, is that too much work for one day? or will I be able to handle it?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
4 lectures/tutorials?

As in 4 hours of tutorials and lectures? Or 2 lectures and 2 tutorials in a day? (which would usually equal 6 hours approx)

I try and use as a general rule, try and bunch it together as tight as possible, the less days the better, but don't go more than 4 hours straight at the most in a day without a break of an hour (for lunch etc).

It sounds managable, and if you're only there 2 days a week, then you've got what most would consider a timetable that is better than 90% of us.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Aussiechick said:
I've been through my course choices and have picked 8 that I think will suit me. (I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts, leading towards English/History teaching) Here's what I came up with. Anyone from wollongong uni that's taken any of these, please tell me if they're any good!

Autumn
Introduction to Literature and Screen Studies (English)
Education 1 (Education duh)
Aspects of Australian Society (Sociology)
Australian Politics (Politics)

Spring
Living Australia 1800-2000 (History)
Contemporary Writing in Australia (English)
Education 2 (Education)
The Cold War & After (History)

It sounds like I really love australian stuff, but really there isn't much else you can pick from that's any good IMO lol

On both monday and wednesday I have 4 lectures/tutorials in autumn, is that too much work for one day? or will I be able to handle it?
Thursday in Spring I had 8:30-7:30 day. You can handle that load.

If you don't like it, you can always withdraw, or finish them and enroll in different subjects for Spring. Arts has plenty of subject areas.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Are you sure 'The Cold War and After' is available in 2005? Cos I remember I saw that but I thought it said it wasn't on offer.....

Um as for your first semester choices, Ive done the sociology one and dropped it after week 4 cos I hated it (it was subjective rhetorical bs) and Australian politics is not too bad but REALLY fundamental, it really is stuff that everyone should have learnt in primary/high school, but the final exam is a piece of cake (Greg practically gave us the questions before hand).

And Im doing education I this semester. See ya there!

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Oh ok well i'll enrol in it then!

I did history & film last year (before they changed the pre-reqs so that first years couldn't do 200-level anymore grrr) and it was awesome.

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
Well it seems they're be a lot of us there then.

Does anyone know how many people can fit in 67.107? That's the lecture theatre in McKinnon Building I think, cause that seemed moderate in size when I went there last week.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
they're pretty big, but if its not big enough it'll be moved to communications

suz

HSC
like Katelyn said, Australian politics is very basic and easy!!!!

Aussiechick

HSC
cool I like easy! makes for a nice transition into uni life I hope

Raiks: I meant having 4 lectures or tutorials on the one day. But from what everyone's been saying I think I'll be able to handle it :)

Thanks everyone! See you in Education I Ms 12, and both you and pam17 in the Cold War and After in Spring!

teneale99

HSC
kinda off the topic

Hey i am actually new to this site its pretty mad hay i neva knew things like this existed untill my legal teacher informed me.
im actually in yr 12 now and r looking to go to wollongong uni...to do the same course ur thinking of. Do you want to be a teacher of some sort? i was looking to do exactly the same courses...maybe u could let me know how they are n stuff n if you have any regrets. also u said u did extension hist i do that...it kinda sucks! do u have any hints or pointers to help me get thru it especially the bloody project its stressing me out! im doing the black death- plague and pestilance in europe but theres just soo much stuff 2 organise!! any advice would be greAT!!! i kno u r wanting advice but any u could give me would b xcellent. thanks!

Aussiechick

HSC
yep I want to be a teacher, either a high school teacher doing english/history or primary teaching, I'm leaving my options open for both :)

History Extension is very stressful, but once you finish the project you'll be extremely proud and pleased with yourself for making it. That feeling is worth all the hard work I think. :)

Advice? just make sure you know exactly what your argument is, and what conclusion you want to come to at the end, then look through the information you have looking for stuff that directly supports and rebutts your point of view. That's what I found works the best. And make sure you have lots of sources to refer to, a good bibliography is impressive. Try not to only use books, using media articles as well makes it look like you did wider research. Don't stress if you leave ur project alone for ages and then have to do it all in 2 weeks or something, because at least for me, I found being completely concentrating only on my project for a while made me keep my focus better. I guarantee you'll never want to read your project again once u've finished it if u've done as much work on it as I have, I haven't even looked at it since I got my mark back, and I don't plan to :)

Hope that helped!

Fungrys

*lookin for wgong maccas*
HSC
Hey!

Well, im in Arts at wollongong too, enrolled on Wednesday :D

For my subjects, I chose:
- Practical Reasoning (Philosophy)
- Empires, Colonies and the Clash of Civilisations (History)
- Australian Politics (History)
- Knowledge, World and Values (Philosophy)

The timetable looks like Mon to Thurs, but the first phil. subject hasnt released its times yet.... hmm...

I so dont know anyone lol *loner* :(

suz

HSC
hey fungrys dun worry lots of ppl r in the same boat as u n u will b surprised how many ppl u meet on the first day of uni
I met one of my best friends on the first day of classes n we have been inseparable since, u meet the greatest ppl
btw ur sub's look good, i did the pol and hist ones ur doin, as have quite a few of us here lol
u may even meet some bos'ers who r doin ur sub's without even realisin it lol
that happened to a few of us lol even sat next to Ms 12 in one of our law seminars lol n we realised that nite when we were describin each other, it was hilarious!!!!

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hehehe yeah that was pretty funny. Im sitting in this computer lab thinking "I know theres like 3 people from BOS in here right now"......and I was sitting next to one as it turns out! And I don't think Maree was too far away either (but she was brave enough to ask if I was from BOS hehe).

Yeah don't worry bout the not knowing people thing, I didn't know anyone when I started and it felt like I was the only one who didn't know people in their course, it felt like I was the only nigel hehe. The first semester was pretty boring cos I spent the days pretty much being a loner, but Ive made awesome friends now and we have so much fun (feels like we've known each other for ages).

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Don't worry about not knowing anybody, its not hard to meet new people at uni, you'll do it every new class you enroll in.

I've seen a few people from BoS but nobody has seen me, because I like to remain anonymous (it's that or I'm just lazy)... but it's not too hard to find me if you make an effort.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Raiks said:
Don't worry about not knowing anybody, its not hard to meet new people at uni, you'll do it every new class you enroll in.

I've seen a few people from BoS but nobody has seen me, because I like to remain anonymous (it's that or I'm just lazy)... but it's not too hard to find me if you make an effort.
You just don't want me to buy you that beer.

santaslayer

HSC
Raiks said:

The guy with the hat on...24/7? :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Actually 5 BOSers were in that LLB110 class! Me, Suz, MissKitty, Santa and krayziekarnevil....hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)