Advice on Subject Dropping/Picking Up Please? (Extension 2 Maths vs. Visual Arts) (1 Viewer)

HSC
At the moment, I have 11 units --> Advanced English, Chemistry, Physics, Visual Art and Extension 1 Maths (+AdvancedMaths)

Due to a change in principles in my school, I was finally offered 4 unit maths last week (a bit late I know). However, I have to drop a subject to be able to put in 4 unit maths in my timetable next year. I really enjoy/am getting great marks in chemistry and physics, so I have to either keep Visual Art and not take Extension 2, or drop art and take it up.

So heres what I've been thinking so far:

Maths is definitely my favourite subject. I'm getting 95+ in my 2 unit class without much effort, and got around the 70s in extension one with no study whatsoever (I placed emphasis on business studies, because my school didn't really place an emphasis on 3 unit maths for end-of-year school marks and I was getting horrible in business. dropped it though!) I'm also really interested in going further in it, but they didn't let me take it earlier in the year because I was the only student wanting to do it, so I have to put a lot of effort in to catch up on 4 unit work, and finish the 3 unit + 2 unit course, with me doing alot of the work on the summer holidays.

In terms of art, I'm getting around 85+ overall. I think I can do well in the theory component if I put enough effort in, but the practical part has gotten me completely stuck. I don't know what direction I'm heading in, and I've hardly started my art diary. Work in the summer holidays would include me practicing essays ( :sad: ) and working loads on the practical part, whcih may take alot of time. However, my teacher assures me that I am a band six student, and is persuading me to keep it.

So what do you guys think? Should I take up extension two maths and drop art, or keep art and not bother with extension two? Why? I'm really indecisive :(

Thanks in advance!!!

nifkeh

HSC
Don't take my word too certain if you are still unsure, but if you're the type that hates assignments/art diary maintaining drop art. Although it's easy to score marks in, it takes a lot of effort and when you procrastinate that means doing possibly an all night before the due date if you're that type of person lol. :) Extension 2 will take a bit of time to catch up on, but it won't be too bad if you put your effort in, it's not an easy course and definitely requires practice in as well, so I'd say take it up and see how it is, if you don't like it then you can pick up art again because in a way it is slightly easier ish. and guaranteed marks

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you like Maths, take that but note that you MUST work hard to catch up with everything you have missed/behind with. MX2 normally requires, maybe, an hour or two every few days to get a half decent mark (70+). I did practically no consistent study for it and got an average of 60% or so and got around 70% raw is 3U when I was accelerated the year before.

In terms of the best ATAR, MX2 will be your best bet assuming you catch up.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're very good at Maths, and you like it, then I'd say Maths extension 2. But it also depends on what you want to do when you leave school? Do you want to go to uni? If so, what course do you want to study? What ATAR do you need? It's hard to give advice without knowing these things. Also, what would be the most enjoyable subject of the two for you? This is an important consideration, as well.

funstudy

HSC
Definitely pick up 4u maths. The scaling is worth it. Remember, you only need to get a raw mark of 60, 70+ to get the top band.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
At the moment, I have 11 units --> Advanced English, Chemistry, Physics, Visual Art and Extension 1 Maths (+AdvancedMaths)

Due to a change in principles in my school, I was finally offered 4 unit maths last week (a bit late I know). However, I have to drop a subject to be able to put in 4 unit maths in my timetable next year. I really enjoy/am getting great marks in chemistry and physics, so I have to either keep Visual Art and not take Extension 2, or drop art and take it up.

Maths is definitely my favourite subject. I'm getting 95+ in my 2 unit class without much effort, and got around the 70s in extension one with no study whatsoever (I placed emphasis on business studies, because my school didn't really place an emphasis on 3 unit maths for end-of-year school marks and I was getting horrible in business. dropped it though!) I'm also really interested in going further in it, but they didn't let me take it earlier in the year because I was the only student wanting to do it, so I have to put a lot of effort in to catch up on 4 unit work, and finish the 3 unit + 2 unit course, with me doing alot of the work on the summer holidays.

In terms of art, I'm getting around 85+ overall. I think I can do well in the theory component if I put enough effort in, but the practical part has gotten me completely stuck. I don't know what direction I'm heading in, and I've hardly started my art diary. Work in the summer holidays would include me practicing essays ( :sad: ) and working loads on the practical part, whcih may take alot of time. However, my teacher assures me that I am a band six student, and is persuading me to keep it.

So what do you guys think? Should I take up extension two maths and drop art, or keep art and not bother with extension two? Why? I'm really indecisive :(

Thanks in advance!!!
Take maths. You are obviously suited to it more than in Art where you're "completely stuck".

Eg155

HSC

Thanks in advance!!!
If you're a natural at maths then do 4u. Even though I am a visual arts advocate, 85 ish probably won't cut a great ext 2 mark.
Also, if your school doesn't have the best history of VA results- art express- etc then yeah maths. deffs.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
In terms of marks-> 4U rapes V.A in terms of scaling so 4U is better for ATAR
In terms of enjoyment-> You said "maths is definitely my favourite subject"

Very simple answer-> pick up 4U

Tbh I don't think it'll be that bad catching up. Your school has probs just done complex numbers and maybe started another topic. You have a 6 week holiday though which is heaps of time -> either try teaching yourself or get a tutor to bring you up to speed

Good luck

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
pick up MX2 and drop art. You said you enjoy maths so MX2 should be a good subject to pick up. Also MX2 scales and aligns much better than art so theres an extra bonus.
It shouldnt be too hard to catch up since complex numbers is pretty straight forward. if you have trouble use http://www.slideshare.net/nsimmons it has heaps of videos on each of the topics in MX2. It helped me a lot in MX2

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Pick up MX2 since you love maths. Its not hard to get E3+ which will do wonders for your ATAR.

enoilgam

HSC
In terms of marks-> 4U rapes V.A in terms of scaling so 4U is better for ATAR
In terms of enjoyment-> You said "maths is definitely my favourite subject"

Very simple answer-> pick up 4U

Tbh I don't think it'll be that bad catching up. Your school has probs just done complex numbers and maybe started another topic. You have a 6 week holiday though which is heaps of time -> either try teaching yourself or get a tutor to bring you up to speed

Good luck
This pretty much. Not only are you better at Maths than VA, but MX2 is also a far superior scaler to VA. So the answer is pretty simple, pick up MX2 and drop VA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)