Advice please? 10 or 11 units? (1 Viewer)

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
At the moment Im doing:

French Cont
Maths 2u (if youre doing 4u school makes you keep this until half yearlies)
Maths 3u
Maths 4u
Ancient Hist
History Ext
English Adv
English Ext

Total 12 units. Its ALOT of work with all those extensions. And extensions are at 7.30 in the morning, and i live 1.5 hr away from school. so this really sucks. I wanna drop 4u maths and HistExt but then ill have 10 units and my parents are freaking out that I'll fail something even though I come top 10 for the rest. What should I do? Drop to 10? or 11? If i go to 11 ill drop 4uMaths?
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh
k8kate

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I really dont know what advice i should give you because it is your decision and your HSC and not mine.

If you do 10 units then you have more time to do work and more time to prepare which could give you better marks.

If you do more than 10 units then if you stuff up something it might not be as bad as if you did 10 units and you got some sort of a safety net, but you might not be able to achieve your full potential in your subjects and you might not be able to see your best marks.

I am doing 10 units, i dropped ext english and ipt and i picked up 4 unit maths. I dropped ext english because i wasnt coping well with it and in ipt i stuffed up the yearly test and i got 37% and was last in my class. I didnt have much interest in that subject and hardly did much work and didnt pay much attention so i got through the lessons by playing games on the computer.

If you do 4u maths, ext 1 maths counts as 2 units and ext 2 maths also counts as 2 units.
But if you do 3u maths, the 2u maths counts as 2 units and ext 1 counts as 1 unit.

Good luck with your choice and just remember that sometimes you dont really know the consequences of your choices until you make that choice and you usually find out later on.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
the 10 unit fallback barrier is probably most effective if you think your at risk of actually failing a subject.

If say, you do pretty decently across the board, dropping down to 10 units doesn't really put you at an 'elevated' risk of losing your HSC.

P

pLuvia

It depends which subjects you are more passionate about. As you already know 4u maths or maths altogether takes up a lot of the time, you barely get to do anything else.

Languages, as I do japanese requires you to revise, and practice new structures, and vocab which takes a lot of time as well

I don't know about history or EE1 but as I have heard you have a lot of assignments right?

But the good thing is all your subjects scale really well if you do well

10 is risky
11 isn't so risky but gives time to revise and have free periods
12 is still ok

Wait till the end of the year for the BoS assessments and then see where you go bad, and you can make your decision from there

Do 11 in my opinion it's balanced :)

Good luck k8kate~ :)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
ScottyG said:
the 10 unit fallback barrier is probably most effective if you think your at risk of actually failing a subject.

If say, you do pretty decently across the board, dropping down to 10 units doesn't really put you at an 'elevated' risk of losing your HSC.
Wait... well it *does* technically (In case a Math's person attacks me with a probablity equation) but if you pull decent results you don't have much to worry about. Having less units theoretically should give you more study time anyway, so you might even find the disadvantages of 10 units counteracts the advantages.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
It's up to you, If you feel that by dropping a subject or two, you'll focus more on the others and ergo do well in them, go ahead and drop. Remember though that you should use the extra time to work on your other subjects and ensure that you're strong across the board.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I suggest you stay with 12 units and continue working through this term. If you can't cope with the workload, find out which extension is affecting your time input into your other subjects and drop it. 3 extensions is tough, a combination of 2-2-2 instead of 2 extensions would have been a better choice, but you don't have much choice when doing 3 extenions because you're gonna have to drop down one if the work's too much.
If you don't like that advice, then i will go a little more deeper with some analysis. :cool:
From your current selection of 12 units, it seems you are heading towards a career in writing/history direction? This is because of your extension history and english. I deduce that you have an interest in history and good at english (as well as maths?!). Therefore if you are heading in that direction, maths extensions are not required in this path, so you should drop at least maths extension 2 for a start. That should at least reduce the time needed to be allocated to maths homeowork.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
i agree with riviet. by what ur doing, i dont think maths is going to help a lot. with this workload, u will crumble under the immense workload of 4U maths.

either drop 2 2U or 3U maths, or drop one of ur extensions in english or history.

going to 10 units is fine. its just that u have to be careful not to screw up any exams/assessments too badly!

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Mountain.Dew, we know you really want to help people out, but upping threads that have been dead for a month probably isn't necessary. :)

I_F

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
insert-username said:
Mountain.Dew, we know you really want to help people out, but upping threads that have been dead for a month probably isn't necessary. :)

I_F
meh, i find something interesting so i make my comment. its a democracy you see...free speech.

and also adds one to my 'no. of posts' count. hehe

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)