Advice pleasE! What course should I choose? (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
shelley said:
Hrmm id love to know what exactly those numbers corresponded to...

anyhoo, look she actually does arts to, and im on scholarship at usyd too thanks mate! Its not like usyd doesnt have them!(and the next person who bags my degree, please realise i qualified for pretty much anything...unless u needed like 4 units maths for the degree, instead i chose something i loved at a uni that will give me the greatest chance at developing my skills)

Actually for me, in terms of an arts ancient history degree, research is all important, rather then having somone telling me what someone else maybe thinks, my lecturers have been there, wrote the influential works and are well known...world renowed in fact for their knowledge and achievements in the field...why would i wanna trade that for a slightly shorter train trip?

and btw what do you think getting a job is about? yes folks its impressing arrogant ppl who think there better then you!

by the way i did read his post he was saying people need to use a higher quailty of english on the boards, and that while less nominilised and informal language may be acceptable at UWS but wouldnt cut it at usyd. And seeming ive written essays for friends at other unis hes right, sydney does demand a very high academic standard of writing (atleast in humanities) the other universities.

UWS has the highest drop out and dissatification evel of all unis in Australia....TO ME I THINK THIS PROBERBLY DEMONSTRATES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS UNI!

Also universoity is suppose to be about gaining skills to think for yourself and critical analyse situations. Who wants a lecturer who holds your hand? Id much rather have one whose been out researching in teh feild and knows there stuff, rather then someone who wants to spoon feed me information!
1) Your comments above do not indicate that you do not understand what my numbers correspond to. You are, after all, a USYD student with higher conceptual and logical skills that are far beyond most peoples comprhension.

2) Show me an example where I 'bagged' your degree please. Fabricating and manipulating my words does no good if you can't back them up. :)

3) What does it mean if your lecturers are 'world-renowned'. It appears that you have formulated a happy notion that your lecturer's success directly corresponds with your own success. :p

4) Impressing people yes. Arrogant people? Well it largely depends on who the employer is. I have the answer to that question if you were to be a future employer. :)

5) It is hard to communicate with someone who will in future, hold a USYD degree. It is beyond my direct abilities as to how I should coherently communicate my idea of how one has not read all of melbournian's posts in the past. This is only a small sample of his works. :)

6) Please give appropriate citations and/or references to that particular point. :)

7) Last paragraph is quite confusing. Maybe because I don't go to USYD and cannot understand such complicated language but it appears to me that you have directly contradicted yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong:

shelly said:
Id much rather have one whose been out researching in teh feild and knows there stuff, rather then someone who wants to spoon feed me information
You want someone who knows their stuff rather than someone spoon feeding you? I would like to ask how someone can spoonfeed a student if they do not know their 'stuff'? Also, has it not come to your reasoning that spoonfeeding can occur even if the lecturer knows thier ;stuff'?

EDIT:... I'm quite enjoying this, yet I have to study...maybe I should continue with this some other time..:p

Last edited:

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
In summary:

UWS students are no less human than students from other unis.

Usyd isn't the best uni in the world (Harvard is)

a UWS degree is a degree and you should be proud of that

In general, if possible you should try to get a degree from USyd rather than UWS

lol erm i dont agree with points two and four, lol ok ask me oxfords the best uni in the world, unless you want to do business or law (which are two VERY small feilds in the scheme of things) and i think u should try to do a degree at which every uini suits your needs....

yet again i have contact with Melb outside of here, admitidly in a limited sense, but hes NICE i promise, and no where near as snobby as you all think

Generator i must admit i never considered UWS too simply because they do have an inferior history staff...and that may actually be as natstar said because its relativly new!

Santa slayer even i cant read minds, thus randomly number things with generalisations dont make a whole lot of sense to me, i left my santa 2 shelley dictionary at home :cool: (ok i am kinda joking here please dont take my rather sarcastic humour as an insult..btw go UOW..haha my dad went there)

In history my lecturers knowledge is important, its pretty piontless me heading off to a dig (like i am at the end of the year) finding stuff and thinking...hrmm its a coin, and no idea what and were it dates to!

Im going to be a teacher, i cant employ you, however i could probebrly get you a job....

ok piont taken i dont exactly stalk melb, but hey if thats your favourite game, go have fun...

if 6 is a reference to teh drop out thing it was in the sydney morning herald last year, we studied it as part of equality and difference in society and culture last year. No i dont remeber exactly when but if its that important ill sift through my notes and find out..later..when i could be bothered

Okay my lecturers will touch on a subject and then say for ore info go look here and here and then move on, ive noticed my friends lectures at UWS in the same subject seem to be primarily aimed at telling them EXACTLY what the author says and doesnt encourage kids to read works formaulate own opionion, thus "spoon fed"

haha i like this too!

Actually i live in Penrith, well used to, know i live in the mountains...but spend enough time in Penrith to still be considered a Penrithite! see we have something in common...who would of guessed, also we chose our unis for teh same reason...hey can i call you superficial now (this is me joking, i realise teh net doesnt portray this, so this is me letting u know)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
accoring to recent study harvard is the best uni in the world, i can post a link to study if you want

as i was browsing i stumbled upon this

http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings.php

UOW beats maquarie :D

and here is the top 500 uni in world ranked

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

UOW isn't in there :(, not that I expected it to be there...
It is kinda biased to science and tech by focusing on nobel prize winners.
I guess it is very hard to have a non-biased ranking.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Western Sydney is a big land area, it woul dbe really hard to put a uni in one place that will be neutrel to all students in the western syburbs. Most degree units are clustered at singular campuses- eg-arts/performing arts types of subjects at Penrith, Business, building and construction at Blacktown, business, law etc at Parra, business at Cambell?, nursing, langauges etc at Bankstown and ag, science etc at Richmond. Its not about teaching structure...
Also it may be that way at ur school but teachers any where in general should be proud that their students are even getting to uni, or any tertiary education. Regardless of what institution they are going too. If i had teachers like that id tell them they can stick up their ass.

My degree at usyd and unsw didnt offer the same versitlity and variety that UWS provides me..as at UWS im open to more expereinces....The are also a number of reasons why i decided on UWS. As i had to move away from home to go to uni, i choose uws cuz its close to family and other friends that i have (as i used to live in penrith b4 moving north) my cousin also was a student there at the time. There are all different reasons why ppl choose uni apart from the uni's rep and the course.
I do know how large Western Sydney happens to be. I still live out at Penrith, and the last thing that I wanted back in year 12 was to continue living my life stuck in a localised suburban rut. But, quite frankly, I do not see any point in anyone trying to justify a degree choice because others will always try and find fault in the reasoning, despite the fact that everyone's opinion is valid for their given situation.

Just to clarify an earlier point, I finished school back in 2001, and back in the days UWS was not as clustered as it now is, hence the 'then pathetic teaching structure' point. Also, most teachers at my school (the history department in particular) did not see any point in studying at a resource poor UWS when you could easily hop on the train for just under an hour and attend a university in the city (as much for the experience as for the academic resources). They were merely catering to the needs of the student body (it was a selective high, and in saying that I am only trying to set the scene).

I love brackets.

Last edited:

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
jezzmo, monash is in melbourne, i was looking at going there for forensic science (yea i watch to much csi)

Haha im surprised to find out natstar, gen and myself are all from penrith!!!!!!!!! I must admit i did generally get bad raps from my teachers about UWS, specially from my society and culture and history teachers!

Then again apparently im an elitist snob (which i must admit this is the first time ive ever been called snobby by someone who wasnt a guy i just turned down for a date lol) I went to a selective school, well its not exactly selective, i went to st marys snr high which is based on applications, but its not off your grades they let you in, its attude to learning, community involvemnet and commitment to studies.

Hey gen did u by any chance go to Penrith high? See actually u and i differ Gen, i love coming home, i mean the cities nice, but it lovely to come home where i know more people, i dont get lost so easy and it doesnt smell! But your so right, this really was a piontless exercise (though i found it fun) but i think its interesting to have these discussions.

And hey if wanting to do courses i love and be at a place i adore makes me a snob i say BRING ON SNOBBISHNESS

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yep, I was at Penrith High. Heh I do love the area, but I'm always waiting for the day that I move out, too.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Doesnt everyone feel that way about there suburb? I mean i dont know too mny people who are interested in staying all there lives in the one place! Especially not somewhere like penrith where once you get to 18 entertainments a bit dodgy as u serioulsy can only go to panthers so many times before its starts to get tedious!

santaslayer

HSC
shelley said:
Just for your reference thats u bagging my degree :eek:
Please note the word before 'Arts', you may like to reconsider if I ever "bagged" your degree out. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)