Advice to students who just got an offer for Engineering and IT at Sydney (1 Viewer)

bookwormtiff

HSC
Is it a good idea to follow CUSP recommended routes for unit choices? I'm so confused...

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, and where ever it asks for you to choose electives you can choose anything from the list that should pop up if you click on the link (electives come into play in later years only though). IIRC you do comm/biomed engo? If so then for your first semester you would do: BUSS1001, ENGG1801, ENGG1960, MATH1001/1002 (or MATH1901/1902) and BUSS1900 (although upon completion of the waiver test this doesn't need to be done if the uni thinks you don't need to do it).

bookwormtiff

HSC
Oh ok, thanks! I was worried about the selection being too generic & about missing vital info, because there's just so much choice...

(And yep, went for an Accounting elective but don't think I can choose anything rn. Also didn't grab BUSS1900 bc it's mandatory anyway, so... whoops. Time to edit?)

kirstann

HSC
Yes, and where ever it asks for you to choose electives you can choose anything from the list that should pop up if you click on the link (electives come into play in later years only though). IIRC you do comm/biomed engo? If so then for your first semester you would do: BUSS1001, ENGG1801, ENGG1960, MATH1001/1002 (or MATH1901/1902) and BUSS1900 (although upon completion of the waiver test this doesn't need to be done if the uni thinks you don't need to do it).
How do I choose the advanced maths?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
How do I choose the advanced maths?

The system has changed since last year, so I'm not exactly sure how to choose it. I think you will need to apply for special permission (online?) to enrol in adv maths subjects. engineering will know probably.

kirstann

HSC
The system has changed since last year, so I'm not exactly sure how to choose it. I think you will need to apply for special permission (online?) to enrol in adv maths subjects. engineering will know probably.
I don't quite understand what's the point of choosing advanced maths? Does it give us a greater opportunity get employed ?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't quite understand what's the point of choosing advanced maths? Does it give us a greater opportunity get employed ?

lol no, it has 0 benefits employment-wise. I just did advanced maths because I did 4u at high school and wanted to be pushed further.

kirstann

HSC
lol no, it has 0 benefits employment-wise. I just did advanced maths because I did 4u at high school and wanted to be pushed further.
I did 4u maths as well, can I always change it to advanced maths if I find maths 100X too easy?

Silly Sausage

HSC
How is ENGG1802? It says there is no assumed knowledge but I've heard it's pretty hard.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 4u maths as well, can I always change it to advanced maths if I find maths 100X too easy?

I'm not too sure if you can change to advanced maths, but you can definitely go from advanced maths to normal maths (as long as it's all done before the census date). If you did 4u (and you were ok with it) you should be able to do advanced.

How is ENGG1802? It says there is no assumed knowledge but I've heard it's pretty hard.
There's no assumed knowledge, and it is also hard. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It's not impossibly hard though, just challenging.

Silly Sausage

HSC
I see, so apart from vectors and integration is there any other maths involved? How long do the "long quizzes" go for?

engineering

HSC
N/A
I see, so apart from vectors and integration is there any other maths involved? How long do the "long quizzes" go for?
You will find out in 6 months time when you do the unit. If you were told now 1 hr or 2 hrs, would it actually make any difference?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)