AE dotpoint. (1 Viewer)

N

ND

"gather and process information from secondary sources to explain the use of acids as food additives"

Does anyone have any info on this? All i've got is that acidic environments kill microorganisms decomposing the food, but that's not enough.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
of the top of head:

acidic environments attack those microbes with pH-range intolerances... so basically if you drop the pH to like 5 (with the addition of vinegar or something) then the acidic environment will interfere with the metabolic processes of the microbes. therefore, since they can no longer metabolise, they cannot decompose (or eat) your food and they die.

also, in a rather unchemistry fashion, you can say that acetic acid in vinegar helps to flavour the food with sour taste (kinda obviously really - go balsamic vinegar!). you can also mention the fact that ascorbic acid (vitamin c) added to artificial fruit juices as a nutritional supplement.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i think what u have is good enough...it's not like they can ask u a 6 marker on it....
just remember citric and acetic acid, and you should be fine

parry

you should probably say it acts as preservative or something, because isnt that why its added- to extend shelf lifes

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by parry
you should probably say it acts as preservative or something, because isnt that why its added- to extend shelf lifes
Originally posted by Frigid
acidic environments attack those microbes with pH-range intolerances... so basically if you drop the pH to like 5 (with the addition of vinegar or something) then the acidic environment will interfere with the metabolic processes of the microbes. therefore, since they can no longer metabolise, they cannot decompose (or eat) your food and they die.
that's exactly what i said, but one better, coz i explained... LoL stupid verbs! :D

parry

im just saying you didnt actually say that it extends shelf life and the dotpoint say to explain the use of them, so i fugured it might be necessary

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sorry... another case of my-bad-not-stating-the-obvious... :(

but you guys know what i mean...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
just mucking around in my spare time... hahaha, i really should be studying... but i guess teaching is learning, eh guys? fire those questions away. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)