Aether Question (1 Viewer)

Spoz

This is question 18 from the 2003 HSC:

Outline TWO features of the aether model for the transmission of light.
And this is the note from the markers:

Most candidates did not correctly give two features of the aether model and instead gave two properties of aether.
How would you give two features of the aether model without giving properties?

richz

an all pervading medium proposed to allow light to propogate. It was transparent, elastic and filled all space.

Haku

i think it is permiable through all substances. invisible, oh and most importantly the constant frame of reference before Einstein stated that all inertial frame of references are equal.

second feature is that it is a medium for light to travel through. Do not say EM waves as they do not really know it at the time.

I think those two features will get u the full mark.

helper

HSC
N/A
To say what the aether is like is to give two properties of the aether.
To outline two reasons why aether is needed for light propogation is to give two properties of the aether model.

Spoz

helper said:
To say what the aether is like is to give two properties of the aether.
To outline two reasons why aether is needed for light propogation is to give two properties of the aether model.
Thats what confused me originally. Saying that it is invisble, all-pervasive and that light travels though it is really just giving properties.

It seems like a retarded question, since the features of the aether model are really based on the aethers properties.

Haku

so why is aether need for light travel? give two properties.

also by saying the aether is the constant frame of reference, is that a property of the aether or the aether model?

still confused. please give an example for one of each please.

serge

HSC
nosadness said:
also by saying the aether is the constant frame of reference, is that a property of the aether or the aether model?
I'd say that was a feature of the model

helper

HSC
N/A
nosadness said:
the aether is the constant frame of reference
By itself, that would be considered a property of the aether. It would have been a borderline one, if you had Aether is medium for propagation of light/EM radiation with that, then you would have been given the marks. The context of the sentence now makes a lot of difference.

To be talking about features of the aether model, you have to be talking about the relationship between light and the aether.

To just list things like:
aether is permiable through all substances
aether is elastic and filled all space

without mention of light, is just listing properties of the aether, that had been suggested by the Ancient Greeks, to explain the movement of the planets and other things. They are asking you to answer in the context of the syllabus.

Another example from the same paper:
Describe Einstein’s contributions to Special Relativity and to Quantum Theory and how these contributions changed the direction of scientific thinking in the Twentieth Century.

You listed
Time Dilation, E=mc2, velocity of light is constant. length relative to velocity you would have only received 2

If you said
The velocity of light is constant, length contraction, so now length is now relative instead of being constant, then you would have received 4.

You had to show the characteristics of special relativity and then link to a change of thinking. It wasn't good enough just list the current thinking but you had to show the change in thinking.

Haku

oh i see, for the relativity and the aether questions link it together.

properties of aether with the transmission of light.

relativity with the connection between space and time.

Spoz

The two questions are not linked on the paper, or am I missing something?

Sorry to sound like a total idiot, but I still dont understand how to answer that question. Can someone give an example response that would get full marks?

[hr]
Edit: Helper, I reread your post a few more times and I get what youre saying now. Thankyou muchly :)

Last edited:

Spoz

And I just found this on the board of studies site:

* During the nineteenth century, physicists were certain that light was a waveform. They assumed that, like all other known waveforms, light waves needed a medium through which to travel to us from the Sun and other stars.
* No medium could be found, and so one was hypothesised, along with a set of expected properties. It was called the luminiferous aether.
* The list of properties included the following. The aether should:
o fill all of space and be stationary in space
o be perfectly transparent
o permeate all matter
o have a low density
o have great elasticity in order to propagate the light waves.
Yes, I know its a bit late, but Im trying to avoid study by posting this.

It worked, kinda.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)