AFP wrong about Haneef (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
AFP did an excellent Job in protecting this country from muslim terrorists, they deserve unreserved praise NOT criticism. Even if Muhamed Haneef is innocent, it means his innocence was proven by AFP's excellent work. I'd rather not risk the country's security by NOT arresting this man at the airport.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
because he was clearly wrong and put an innocent doctor into humiliation and quite possibly ruined his reputation despite the fact that he will be cleared of his charges. being the director, he didn't instruct his team to thoroughly check the evidence before go for the arrest, who's fault is that? the indian doc's?

to make it worse, the whole thing has been blown up by the media, so yes, someone has to go to jail.
Yes because it was the prosecutor who started the investigation of Haneef and ordered his arrest.

Dongle

HSC
'Tis a worrying trend of the compromising civil liberties for the 'greater good'. Thank god justice prevailed in the end.

However, in saying that, I think the arrest was legitimate, just the process by which to establish his guilt was flawed and incompetent. Kevin Andrews is still trying to save face...*sigh*...he has no sense of rationality or maturity at all.

Zionist

HSC
He is NOT an innocent victim.

Alleged webchat between Mohamed Haneef and his brother
July 31, 2007 06:10pm
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
THE following is a reconstruction of an alleged internet conversation between Mohamed Haneef and his brother Shuaiv on the day Haneef was arrested in Brisbane.

It is based on evidence released today by Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews. Mr Andrews said it informed his decision to cancel Dr Haneef's visa.

Shuaib: Nothing has been found out about you. When will you be getting out?

Haneef: Today.

Shuiab: Have you permission to take leave? What have you told the (Gold Coast) hospital?

Haneef: I told them my baby was born in an emergency caesarean.

Shuaib: Tell them that you have to (leave) as you have a daughter born. Do not tell them anything else.

Shuaib then went on to tell Haneef not to delay his departure and not to let anyone else use his number in Australia, or give it to anyone.

He added that “auntie” had told him that brother Kafeel (accused terrorist Kafeel Ahmed) had used the number "in some sort of project".
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22166791-2,00.html

he lied about his reason for leaving the country.

Thank You Kevin for making this country a safer place by revoking Mohammed Haneef's visa.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
i dont know what to think any more. the government is controlling my mind

HSC
Shuaib: Nothing has been found out about you. When will you be getting out?
That seems rather shifty.
But it's only alleged isn't it? Or was it like backtracked?
From what the media's been showing, he seems completely innocent.
Can you sue the government for detaining you when they have no proof?

HSC
yeah. deep shit for everyone.
especially that allah guy jb_nc ... hahaha...

princeharry said:
Even if Muhamed Haneef is innocent, it means his innocence was proven by AFP's excellent work.
they detained him purely on his relation to his cousin.
isn't that rather ridiculous?
so it's not innocent until proven guilty anymore, but guilty until proven innocent?
let's say they kept him in gaol for 5 years. and he was innocent.
that's somewhat 5 years of someones LIFE gone because they were related to a terrorist.

far from fair.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The reasonable suspicion was founded upon the information obtained by the AFP (most of which is unknown to the media and the public), and regardless of the lack of evidence to establish a brief to substantiate the allegations at court, the suspicion still exists.

The actions in revoking Haneef's visa are likely to be valid in this regard, and it is more than likely that the Federal Court will uphold the ministers decision despite the whining and moaning of Mr Russo. The minister did not need to prove the allegations beyond reasonable doubt, nor did he even require a reasonable belief, and as such the weaknesses in the development of a brief/case against Haneef have very little bearing upon the decision the minister makes with respect of the visa.

A simplistic view yes, however I fail to see how the grounds upon which the suspicion has been formed (most of which are unknown) can be commented on in the public domain at this point.

I'm no legal expert, but the investigations are ongoing and it is highly unlikely that the AFP would release sensitive and relative information.

Zionist

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Yeah its impossible to fabricate an msn conversation. Why was the entire conversation not released, only an excerpt that seems incriminating when viewed in isolation.
NOT INNOCENT VICTIM, Again.

India police claim Mohamed Haneef link to al-Qaeda

August 01, 2007 09:38pm

Article from: AAP
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

AN Indian police file on Mohamed Haneef completed after his arrest in Australia says the Gold Coast doctor has alleged links to al-Qaeda.

The so-called dossier, revealed on SBS television tonight, is an Indian police record of Dr Haneef that contains details of his education, earnings, relatives' names, his family's economic status and physical abnormalities - including “prominent hyoid bone on the neck”.
One entry in the police file, which is marked “restricted”, says “Organisational set up: alleged links with al-Qaeda”.
“After having his education in Karnataka (an Indian province), Mohamed Haneef must have come into contacts (sic) with the members of terrorist entities and assisted,” the document states.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22174236-2,00.html :bomb:

Terrorist sympathisers are not welcome in Australia. Well Done Kevin.

Last edited:

Zionist

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Excatly right. We can not be sure if he is innocent or guilty, nor can we even make an accurate guess. Therefore, shouldn't he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt? Suspicions can be raised about anyone, in lieu of any substantive evidence what right do we have to lock them up for such a long time?
25 days detention is a long time? :rofl: In Britain, a country considered as the mother of parliamentary democracy, accused terrorists can be detained for 28 days without charge.

Haneef was detained for 25 days, with the permission of the Court. And what is wrong with detaining a suspected terrorists who have alleged link to Al-Qaeda according to his own country's Police?

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Excatly right. We can not be sure if he is innocent or guilty, nor can we even make an accurate guess. Therefore, shouldn't he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt? Suspicions can be raised about anyone, in lieu of any substantive evidence what right do we have to lock them up for such a long time?
I'm not defending the right to imprison him without charge, but rather I'm merely attempting to convey that I believe that Andrews actions in relation to the visa cancellation were more than likely correct.

The issue of being detained for such an extensive period for the purposes of investigation is obviously a legislative issue, and one of the powers afforded by the terrorist legislation. It still remains nonetheless that he was not arrested merely for the purposes of investigation, but was arrested as the suspicion was attached to him and his activities etc.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
When it comes to terrorism I'm in favour of extended periods of investigation as occured in this case. Not months, but longer than normal is acceptable. Terrorism is different to established and more traditional crimes.

While being centre lefty and civil libertarian of sorts I don't think Haneef should be made out to be mother teresa. This is a rare situation where I agree with MS Devine.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Actually, I think someone abducted Miranda Devine and took her place- her articles (in SMH at least) have been almost reasonable recently. Especially the one about Education.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
i cannae stand her. reading her article yesterday reminded me why. australia's best irl troll

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
Guyz, let's have parliament pass a new law.

Alleged = evidence

I allege all of you have links to terrorists. OMG U GO GAOL NOW!

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
there are alternatives to detention.

we really need to explore these areas, because we're disrupting the lives of people without knowing who they are. Where it is clear that their activities are not in any imminent threat to Australians or human beings, that they are not in the process of planning to commit a terrorist act, or assist others in doing so, or have attempted to do the aforementioned activities, then we should release them.

so what if we do have evidence that can ground our suspicions?
The court let haneef out on bail - that is, he is able to live life outside of a total institution, subject to certain controls.

What usually happens is that the police will arrest you, detain you, question you, and either charge you, then either bring you to jail for overnight/weekend, detention or take you to court for a bail hearing.

That should not take anymore than 3 days, it can take 5 hours, other simple crimes, it just takes a notice.

why did it take 25 days? the police stuffed up the operation, but based on the information they had, they should have brought haneef in much earlier than that.

this reason, and the fact that the minister was seen to have used immigration powers to give effect a judicial action (i.e keep him in detention) are the main sticky points to this issue.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Haneef was in contacts with Islamic radicals: reports
2 Aug 2007, 0707 hrs IST,PTI
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

MELBOURNE: Indian doctor Mohammed Haneef was regularly in contact with Islamic radicals under surveillance by British spy agency MI5, media reports here said on Thursday while a dossier said to be made by Bangalore police alleged him of having contacts with Al-Qaida.

Highly classified intelligence documents leaked on Wednesday reveal the former Gold-Coast doctor "still considered a person of interest by British and Australian investigators" made contact using medical chat rooms, international phone cards and phone boxes, 'The courier mail' newspaper said on Thursday.

The intelligence suggests this was to avoid detection and suspicion.

The leaked dossier, part of the information that formed a key plank in Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews' decision to revoke Haneef's visa, alleges the Indian-born doctor spoke to a number of suspects about a "project" and a "purpose" before the failed UK bombings.

However, it's understood the intelligence does not contain information about a terrorist attack in Australia and only believes Haneef to be on the outer edge of a large group of like-minded people.

Meanwhile, the Indian police intelligence alleged Haneef had links to Al-Qaida.

He remains under surveillance in India by at least two law enforcement agencies, the report said.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty on Wednesday said Haneef could face further charges.

"It's still potentially possible that a brief of evidence will be submitted against Haneef," he said.

Also on Wednesday, senior government sources confirmed that Haneef's former Gold Coast colleague and Liverpool flatmate, Mohammed Asif Ali, was being investigated over his knowledge of terrorist activities.

Ali, stood down from Queensland Health on Friday for lying about his employment history in India, owned two rubber stamps used to forge medical testimonials.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...amic_radicals_reports/articleshow/2249854.cms

More and more people realised he is not that innocent as he was painted to be by the Press. Only about 5 people turned up in a massive rally organised by his supporter :D

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
They can be, when people make up an imaginary Australian legal system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)