After the bomb (1 Viewer)

DMOS

HSC
Hi,
Has anyone done or doing the module After the Bomb for 3U Eng?
I've got an essay due next week but I have no clue where to start.
I was hoping if anyone can give me hints on how the Cold war has impacted on both the personal and political world.

ty:D

K

khorne

are you serious? Do some research...The cold war is perhaps the easiest thing to look into...and its impacts are quite obvious and overt.

If you are still lazy, try this for more help.

HSC
i think im gonig to fail 3u english.

i got 7/25 for my assessment so im probably not the best person to ask

but good luck.

do what khorne said and research the cold war.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm doing this too! Your essay will come down to what text are you doing at the moment...?

Look at key themes like paranoia, fear, government control, questioning society and the individual, government tactics, disillusion. There is so many possibilities and pathways you can choose. Do some research though otherwise you won't be getting far.

georgia-ellen

HSC
Yeah we're doing this.
What core texts are you doing? Hiroshima, Catch 22 and Waiting for Godot?
The second reply was good like associate it to those themes, you mainly need to talk about the anxiety within the societies, whether it be social political etc....
and so like Catch 22 uses absurdism to show how crazy everyone has become, and reflects ideas about all sorts of things like censorship and religion and social constructs etc.

Do you know any of your related texts yet? They don't have to reflect anything really about the Cold War, more just the idea about social anxiety etc, so I've heard dystopian novels.. maybe Orwell's 1984 or Atwood's Handmaid's Tale
Umm what else.
Anything really, look for movies or speeches if you want shorter.

However, I'm not v good at extension english, I'm going to come like last in the state, so perhaps I will help bring all your ranks up?

NewiJapper

HSC
An AWESOME related text is Dr. Stranglelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb.

Especially if you are doing Catch-22 or the spy ho came in from the cold.

NewiJapper

HSC
Dr. Strangelove is a really good but kind of absurdist movie.

Out of the two novels I've only read Catch-22 because its one of my core text :p the other...I've heard its ok.

jet

Banned
HSC
You're looking for evidence of the ways of thinking during the cold war, through their emergence in your texts. That includes paradigms.

Suspicion and Cold War anxiety are some of the more obvious. Things like Existentialism, Postmodernism, MacCarthyism, are not so obvious.

Even overt references to the Bomb and the Cold War are acceptable. I always liked this topic as it's quite free, and you can choose whichever ones you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)