Age of silicon (1 Viewer)

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
So how'd you all fair?
I was fine till the stupid amplifiers, but I think I got it in the end. Reasons what the resistors did, I made up a 'cock-and-bull' story. (is that the right term??).

Apart from that, It was fair sailing. Was the logic gate X an OR gate?? There wasn't enough info for me to correctly determine since the question didn't state whether it returns a 1 only when A and B are 1 or not. In that case it could have been an XOR aswell, but I forgot to mention that. Shouldn't be too bad though.

- phizz

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Yeah I struggled with the amps question, and the last question about the reason for resistors. Gate X was an OR gate, I had no trouble finding all the info required, I think you made the question harder than it needed to be

hughbj

HSC
My friend, you are correct, it could have also been a XOR gate. But if you said OR, it is still correct.

For the amplifier I was clueless until I realized that there was the formula for calculation on the formula sheet! After that it was OK and the first page was regulation. The last part of the amplifier deserved, in Phizz's words' a "cock-and-bull" story, so that is exactly what I gave it!

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I don't know why hardly anyone does the silicon option, its not that hard.....

hughbj

HSC
Cactus said:
I don't know why hardly anyone does the silicon option, its not that hard.....
If you do software, it is definately the easiest, if you don't it is close to the easiest. Only about < 2% do it, I reckon it is because the teachers don't know how to teach it yet. Anyway, as we said this years questions were quite straightforward for AOS, maybe more others will join us next year

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
The guy who came 1st in our class and me (came 3rd) taught ourselves the silicon option, cos Medical is crap. The amp question was all I had any trouble with, and the logic gates are really just a matter of knowing the symbols....

hughbj

HSC
Yeah, me and Phizz taught ourselves. Also, it can be difficicult because there are hardly any text books that have it in and the resources you find on the net about stuff like operational amplifiers can be waaaay to detailed and technical. Eventually our teacher found a text book that had a few chapters on AOS. He gave it to us and said "Good Luck... learn it!". It was a good resource to verify the information we had and polish our knowledge.

Wow, doesn't that sound smart!?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
hughbj said:
Yeah, me and Phizz taught ourselves. Also, it can be difficicult because there are hardly any text books that have it in and the resources you find on the net about stuff like operational amplifiers can be waaaay to detailed and technical. Eventually our teacher found a text book that had a few chapters on AOS. He gave it to us and said "Good Luck... learn it!". It was a good resource to verify the information we had and polish our knowledge.

Wow, doesn't that sound smart!?

Someone had an old version of the Jacaranda textbook, with the silicon chapter so I swapped books with them.

jude_ess

yeah i did age of silicon and i thought the questions were pretty fair. the only one which was crap was that last amplifier question asking the purpose of the resistors (WTF?)

i thought it was pretty fair other than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)