• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

AGREE OR DISAGREE? > I NEED YOU OPINIONS! (1 Viewer)

staCey*

"private schools best meet the EDUCATIONAL and SOCIAL needs of students"

i would greatly appreciate YOUR individual perspectives based on your experiences with the private and/or public education system.

BTW, this isn't to turn into a debate or for people to condemn either private or public schools.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. :)

[edit] ur opinions would - in large part, help with the research component of my major assignment. [/edit]

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Unless youve been to both i guess you cant really make a valid opinion.

kochou

i guess they do have better facilities and sources, i go to public so i dunno...maybe some individuals work better in private school environments and others don't

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i've been to both, private is (generally) full of people who are rich & snobby, public is (generally) full of people who are just plain assholes.

They both suck.

bubble_tea

selective schools r the best!
=P u get the rich, the smart, the dumb (cuz they used to be smart in yr7) and the friendly.. Well, everyones friendly i guess, most of us help each other out. and i dunno about public school, prolly stereotype, buh yeah noone physically fights with each other.. everyone just bitches.. XP

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
I've been to both .. personally I liked the private school better- for both educational and social reasons.. the class sizes at the private school were smaller (which is always an advantage in my books)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I go to public school and always have. I don't know anything about private school obviously, but from the education I've received I don't feel like I've missed out much. It hasn't been flawless but I doubt any school is able to ofer such a thing. In my experience, I'd say a good majority (over 90%) of my teachers have been truly dediacted. This is not to say they were the best teachers but they tried and even if their teaching style didnt suit me, it was the dedication that was important.

I can't comment or compare on type of people in schools. I don't believe an education should be judged upon the people in the school. I went (and am going) through school independently and don't rely on other so I don't see why they should be a factor of influence. I'm speaking about people in general, not close friends of course.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
Unless youve been to both i guess you cant really make a valid opinion.
exactly what i was going to say. i don't know what the other system is like so i can't really comment

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Homeschooling is best. Wish I was homeschooled. Not by my parents, though. That's not always what homeschooling involves.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
staCey* said:
"private schools best meet the EDUCATIONAL and SOCIAL needs of students"
i don't see the relevance of further discussing this topic, for the statement assumes that each and every private school is best equipped to meet the educational and social needs of its individual students, whose needs undoubtedly differ amongst each other.

but what are you trying to discuss anyway? that private schools have more facilities and hire better teachers (the latter not necessarily the case) so they can best meet our educational needs? but is not a public selective school environment also good for that? and by what do you mean social needs? every school, regardless of its public or private status, hosts regular social and extra-curricular events.

i just feel it's absurd to further dissect this topic: it's been done many times, and most of the time it has been debased into a slanging match.

so you go to (a private) school? geez get over it.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
truly-in-bliss said:
not another thread abt public vs private.... @@
No but this ones different its asking if people who went to a private school had their social needs better met and hence are more likely to be "better" people (well thats the way I interperated it).

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
well better is all relative... what is the standard that stacey is comparing against? the public system.... u cant have a *better* system if u dont compare one against the other... the word better only comes into play when its refering to 2 or more systems...

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Well I went to a public school that doesn't even make the top 300 schools list and I found it to be just as good as I would imagine any private school to be. Maybe the extra resources and attention would be nice but there is nothing stopping people from doing well at a public school. I can't make a call coz I haven't done both but in my opinion public schools are just as good. Going to uni now most of my friends are from some of the most highly rated private schools in Sydney and I feel just as educated as them :)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Well...I haven't been to both so I personally do not know, but one of my closer friends used to go to my school (a public school) and now goes to a private school...hmm...but then again, I can't really compare well because it's not your run of the mill private school...her's anyways...I do believe no one at that school has gotten over 75 or something in the HSC...and I have found she is far less academic now than she was when she attended our school...when she came to our school she was very competitive and studied extremely ahrd because she didn't want to risk being stuck here forever...but now...I've never seen her get such low marks before...their school seems to focus more on doing extra curricular things and flashing their funding around...she constantly seems to be going on a school trip somewhere...so from that I would say our school was better...but then again - she doesn't go to your typical private school.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Both private/public schools meet the educational and social needs of the society. It just depends on the individual, which means their upbringing, etc. A private school wouldn't best meet the educational or social needs of someone from a poor suburb whose smart enough to get into a selective school for example. Another consideration is what they want from school education. If they're planning to further their education at uni, private schools don't prepare students as well sometimes (results of spoonfeeding, for example).

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i had been 2 a public skoolll but my sis is going 2 a private skool ...ni can see the diff!!! so im for private skools!!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
And another thing, you can't judge all private school by just one private school (the same can said about public schools too, of course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)