agrippina II (1 Viewer)

stressed monkie

im a random
does any1 know were on the net i can get agrippinaII notes cause no matter how hard i try for that part i never do well in it
thanx

Wiggum

I'll put it to you in brief terms:

Ambition: Learnt from mother her family was to rule the Empire. Attempted to achieve this by two ways, 1) marry the emperor and 2) get her son, Nero, to be heir. Achieved both.

Influence: Before her marriage to Claudius, you could say she had influence on the populace through her popularity, daughter of Germanicus. Never really influenced any of her two husbands before Claudius. During Messalina's "reign", still had strong influence yet kept a low profile for obvious reasons. Whilst married to Claudius, her influence on Claudius was comparable to Messalina's and evident by rewarding her supporters with high ranking jobs (eg Burrus as Praetorian Prefect). Aparently during Claudius' last years, she totally dominated Claudius with her influence. As co-regent still retained a great amount of influence and carried that into Nero's sole reign. When Nero had the affair, was the starting point of the fall of Agrippina, as some her supporters, eg Burrus, saw more opportunity with Nero than Agrippina.

I'll tell you about the role when i'm not that tired to think. It's pretty basic stuff but it'll do.

Originally posted by Wiggum
Ambition: Learnt from mother her family was to rule the Empire. Attempted to achieve this by two ways, 1) marry the emperor and 2) get her son, Nero, to be heir. Achieved both.

Just to add to that... Agrippina ultimately wanted power for herself, being the control-freak that she was. However she recognized that, being a woman, she could not hold power in her own right, thus used the men around her to achieve her own personal goals. She did this by manipulating Claudius, and later Nero while they were each emperor.
Her other marriages were also examples of using men to get what she wanted -->Money, amicitas, friends in high places.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hint for the exam...throw in as many latin terms as you can...for some unknown reason examiners like latin, so its not power its potestas!!!lol...we got told this like 2 weeks ago...i now officially hate latin

Last edited:

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Influence of Agrippina

Heya,
hope this helps!

Assess the power and influence of Agrippina the Younger in Julio-Claudian family. (10)

"Daughter," "Sister", "Niece," "Wife," "Mother". Each of these headings, defines Agrippina by her relationship to the main in power" (Anthony Barrett). This depicts the way Agrippina gained power and influence in Rome. By having incestuous relationships with most of her male family members. It was the perfect plan as a stepping stone to supreme authority she yearned for.

Agrippinas father was Germanicus, who was popular amongst the armies in the Roman Empire. He was also from the blood line of Augustus and thus Agrippina had already established a name for herself since her birth. "she derived prominence from her famous military father" (E.A Judge). Her mother, Agrippina the elder, was an head strong woman who Agrippina the Younger looked up too "The techniques of the two women were very similar. Both cultivated the military" (Bauman)
This establishes that Agrippinas parents were a major factor in her life even though they werent around for most of it. Her father died when she was four years old and her mother died sometime after in prison. Her father had given her prestige and her mother had shaped her cunning personality.

When Gaius (her brother) became emperor he offered Agrippina as well as her sisters, the highest honours a woman could ever have in Rome. "[received] the privileges of the Vestals" (Barrett). They were allowed to watch the public games from the imperial seats, be included in the annual vows of allegiance to the emperor and have their figures appearing on the coins. This increased Agrippinas status dramatically because if Gaius, the emperor respected her, ultimately the majority of people of Rome would.

After reclaiming a grand amount of wealth after the death of her second husband Pallas she married Claudius, her own uncle who was emperor at the time. This was "a stepping-stone to supremacy." (Tacitus) because Claudius was the highest respected authority figure in Rome. Thus, being wife to him gave her absolute influence. She could use her cunning wit to have her way with Claudius and hence managed to totally dominate him. She made him perform ruthless behavior including the death of a woman Claudius had considered as pretty. The ancient historian Tacitus believed that "complete obedience was accorded to a woman" This further portrays the influence Agrippina was creating for herself in Rome thanks to her Julio-Claudian descent.
She had Claudius adopt her son Nero so he would become heir the throne and not Claudius own son Brittanicus.

When Claudius died Nero became emperor.
deemed by Nero "Best of Mothers"
picture appeared on the emperors side of the coin
involved in political affairs including meetings of the senate
killed off any political rivals

Sorry about the unfinished adequate ending but i hope you get the idea :p

Wiggum

That's pretty good :)

Just one thing, remember the word "assess", you have a bit in there but they MIGHT want more. Just something that you might find useful

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hey smoked salmon, be careful with the incestous comment, plenty of sources argue she didn't have incentous relationship. Its the ancients, in particular tacitus that allege incestous relations!!!! Read Barret for the debate. But when we went to a hsc lecture we were warned to tred carefully around the incestous stuff, if not leave it out all together!!!!

Not that I've looked at them in depth yet, but I thought it was Seutonius who threw in the more 'contraversial' comments such as incest?

Maybe I'm wrong. I need to do more work on the sources.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hey, i could be wrong!!! though i think all the amcients have something to say about the relationship, Tacitus definatly infers that she had an affair with her brother in law, but suetonius would proberbly have accused her of sleeping with the entire population of rome!!!

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I understand that ancient Historians tend to regard Agrippina very poorly because it was a patriarchial society. Of course they would have claimed she had affairs with her family.. Suetonius was always up for a good gossip and Tacitus... well Tacitus loves making everyone look terrible. Look how he portrayed Tiberius!
But not saying the incestuous relationships could not be true. we are not sure about that... damn I wish I had a time machine. :p But i'll keep that in mind shelley. Thanks for the warning.

stressed monkie

im a random
first off thanx to everyone all ur posts were a great help

second off if i remember correctly the incestous remark by the ancient historians was to do with her son when nero fell in lovewith acte the freedwomen at this point agrippina changed tactics and offered her own bedroom for nero's frolics (quoted directly from the text book "antiquity 2"
cassius dio also had ideas of their relationship "nero had a mistress resembling agrippina of whom he was especially fond of because of this very resemblance, and when he toyed with the girl herself or displayed her charms to others, he would say that he was wont to have intercourse with his mother" cassius dio, roman history, Vol8, trans. by E.Cary

plz correct me if im wrong but thats what i understood from the sources

Wiggum

I have no idea about Agrippina offering her room to Nero. It's very dangerous heading into the direction about the incestous affairs without the proper sources. I'd steer very clear from that issue unless you are positive about your opinion.

The best thing to do, as you've all rightly mentioned, is to make sweeping remarks about this incident and say that the ancients have been known to dislike Agrippina and show her and many others in a bad light.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
as far as i am aware the sources we know we got it right.....but i would just avoid the issue alltogether, their never gonna ask us direct about it, so as long as we don't bring it up its all good.

tink 18

hey if you need some notes still, you can email me and i can get some to you i have hundreds of them! my teacher insists on giving them to us all the time. I also have some from a study day i went to which might be handy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)