Agrippina the Younger (1 Viewer)

TheVoodooChild

HSC
Hey there! I'm kinda new at this, so forgive me if I get something wrong, but I'm doing an assessment on Agrippina the Younger and I have to "assess the contributions and achievements of Agrippina II." and in doing so I also have to "provide an assessment of the various historical interpretations of Agrippina II." Anybody got any ideas/tips/anything at all to help? I would be SO grateful...

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
Try this. I took it from an essay I did last year. Its basically what she achieved for HERSELF during the reign of Claudius, so mention how she promoted Nero. My best advice is to just use the quotes and use your own words to explain answers.

In addition to the elimination of potential threats, as well as the promotion of her son, Agrippina certified her position by allowing a wide range of distinctive honours to be bestowed upon her. The title of Augusta given, according to Barret, "would enhance Agrippina's status in the eyes of the public and this elevated status is reflected in the coins produced" as "for the very first time the emperor and his consort appear on the same issue". It was unprecedented for a living woman to receive such an honour, while her appearance on coins was used as visual propaganda in order to enhance her position as empress. Iconography was also used by her as a means of consolidating her power. The sculpted heads of her were usually decorated with a diadem – or crown which were usually associated with a goddess. "This was an exceptional honour" says Barret, and was "another striking demonstration of her elevated position" during the reign of Claudius. Her elevated position was enforced by entering the city in the royal carpentum which was usually reserved for priests and objects of worship. Agrippina had a colony in Germany, now Cologne, which just adds to her unprecedented honours. On this aspect, Tacitus is highly critical of Agrippina. He is cynical of the extent to which her power bounds. He mentions that she accompanied Claudius when receiving foreign dignities, and in consideration of the way she openly portrays her power, "was asserting her partnership in the empire her ancestors had won."

Agrippina the Younger became one of the most powerful and influential women in Rome. Her relentless ambition to secure her son's emperorship and to gain as much power to the extent that she rivals the emperor give her a legendary status. The reign of her uncle Claudius provided an excellent stepping stone to undertaking a role no woman had ever conceived. A role which involved the manipulation of the law, politics, family connections and sexuality. All of this "increased the reverence felt for a woman who to this day remains unique". (Tacitus)

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
As for interpretations, i rekon this would be useful:

Bauman tells us that Agrippina the Younger "had one supreme ambition, to place her son Nero on the throne: 'Let him kill me, but let him rule'. But not far behind that was her determination to secure a position of unprecedented eminence for herself." In regards to this, the many different sources are in agreement. However, the circumstances of Agrippina's rise and fall are interpreted differently by different historians, reflecting bias present in the work of the different historians and their respective contexts. The constant theme in the end is the perception that she, according to Tacitus possessed "…dictatorial, feminine excess of ambition" and that, Syme asserts, she was "Prepared…to wade through slaughter to a throne."

 Tacitus is hostile towards ambitious members of the imperial family and his interpretation of Agrippina's history is evidently influenced by his misogamy: adjectives like "immoral", "disreputable" and "violent" in describing Agrippina. He however also shows some admiration: "…this was a rigorous, almost masculine despotism ". Judgment – although he is bias against women with ambition, he paints a fairly accurate history of Agrippina, occasionally admiring her influence. It should also be considered that he had access to her memoirs.

 Cassius Dio – understands that much of the sources on Agrippina rely on gossip and speculation, however is still hostile to her and stresses her immoral seductiveness, firstly with Claudius and then Nero. However, like Tacitus, takes note of as well as admires her powerful influence and achievements. "she had more power than Claudius himself….a fact that was entered in the records."

 Ferrero – unique reassessment of the role of Julio-Claudian women in wielding power. Stripped away bias of likes of Tacitus: "Agrippina brought back into the state the authoritative vigour which the nobility had considered the highest ideal of government."

 Barrett – evaluates the different interpretations, takes a somewhat middle ground – and his eventual judgment is that she is a woman should be admired for her achievements and the influence which she gained.

Try to write 4 paragraphs(+intro & conclusion) with 2 modern n 2 ancient historians and basically say what they think of her and importantly use direct and straight to the point quotes and you shud be fine. Also, even if you dont agree, try (without using "I") to make a judgement as to the best interpretation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)