agrippina (1 Viewer)

Barbie_Bitch

hey...any help would be great for these 2 questions!

- Discuss the strangths and weaknesses of Agrippina's character

AND

- Assess the ancient and modern interpretation of Agrippina

THANK YOU for anything you have ppl!

Sasky

HSC
Hey BB, I don't study Agrippina, but I know how difficult it can be to scrounge around for some notes. I'm taking excerpts from the Ancient History Revision Guides-pg.99-100-others specified (and believe me, they're extremely helpful in almost all subjects), so here goes:

Achievements:
Agrippina (Ag) had two important ambitions and she achieved them both. Her son Nero became emeror of Rome and she became the most influential and powerful woman of her time. Her official title was Ag. Augusta, (wife) of the Divine Claudius, mother of Nero Caesar, by decree of the Senate. THe following are Ag's achievements for Nero:
- She convinced Cladius to adopt Nero and place him before his own son
- She had Seneca appointed as his tutor
- She elimated rivals
- She saw Nero made emperor
The following are Ag's achievements for herself:
- Powers
- Honours and prestige

Honours given to Ag early in N's reign (pg. 95)
- Made priestess of the deified Claudius
- Given two lictors
- Appeared on coins with Nero
- Rode together in her litter
- Recived various embassies
- Sent letters to influential pepople such as govenors and kings
- Suetonius and Cassius Dio both mention that Ag controlled N's public and private affairs
- A rear door was installed so Ag could stand behind a curtain and listen to discussions in the Senate

Honours and privileges given by Gaius to Ag and her sisters(pg.92):
- 3 sisters appear on reverse side of coin
- Given seats in imperial closure at games
- Included in annual vows of allegiance to the emperor
- Included in preamble to proposals submitted to the Senate
- Incl in annual vow for the emperor's safety
- Made honorary Vestal Virgins

Ancient and modern interpretations of Ag:
All the ancient historians we use for our information about Ag were men (e.g. Tacitus, Suetonius and Cassius Dio). In Roman society there were very strict ideas about how women should behave. They were to be loyal, dutiful and to abide by the decisions of their fathers and husbands without question.

Tacitus:
- Portrayed Octavia, Antonia and especially Ag I as good examples of Roman matrons.
- Ag II was not portrayed in this way, instead seeing her as acting in a scandalous way, actually dominating the government.
- Livia, Messalina, Ag II and Poppaea Sabina were shown as ruthless women dominating their unfortunate and docile husbands.
- he wrote this because he wanted to undermine the Principate and the Julio-Claudian dynasty

Suetonius:
- Concentrated on court intrigue
- A great deal of his work must be regarded as gossip

The conclusion from ancient sources is that Ag was a wicked woman and a dominating mother who involved herself in schemes to marry and murder Claudius just so Nero could become emperor.

Modern Historians:
The modern historians questions whether the ancient interpretation is an accurate portryal.
- Ag did not act as a traditional Roman woman
- She certainly exerted great influence, which was unusual
- Her achievements show that she did have a degree of political power
- She must be evaluated in the context of her time
- She would have realised she could not rule in her own right
- Yet it was acceptable for her to try to achieve the best position for her son
- The methods she used were similar to those used by others in the imperial family

Ag had two definate ambitions and she achieved both. In this sense, she is considered a strong, successful and much admired and respected Roman woman.

---------

Voila. C'est fini. Anway BB, tell me if it helped or if you need me to dig up some more - good luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)