AGSM to merge with FCE (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
The University of NSW will combine the Australian Graduate School of Management with its undergraduate faculty of Commerce and Economics.

The move follows the University of Sydney's decision last year to abandon the graduate management school, which had been run by both universities since 1999.

The former Fairfax chief executive Fred Hilmer, who will take over as vice-chancellor at the University of NSW in June, said yesterday that the amalgamation was a great opportunity.

"It buys scale," he said. "If you look around the world, the model combining graduate and undergraduate faculties is growing."

That same model was followed at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton business school, which Mr Hilmer attended. He said he did not regret the University of Sydney's decision to leave the Australian Graduate School of Management. The partnership had been a bad decision, he said.
SMH.com.au.

FCE Dean Media Release

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

USyd sucks. Enuff said. :D

Seriously, AGSM hasn't been able to attract sufficient enrollments for its MBA program. Now, they're putting a positive spin on how they're trying to save the AGSM.

So-net

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

§eraphim said:
USyd sucks. Enuff said. :D

Seriously, AGSM hasn't been able to attract sufficient enrollments for its MBA program. Now, they're putting a positive spin on how they're trying to save the AGSM.
Hardly to judge USyd. sucks or not.... but at least as what you've said the insufficient enrollments for its MBA program I think that's the fact.... even the Hong Kong program MBA.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

What interests me more is how this merger with the postgrad AGSM is going to shape undergrad courses in the future, say like the Wharton School.

So-net

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

§eraphim said:
What interests me more is how this merger with the postgrad AGSM is going to shape undergrad courses in the future, say like the Wharton School.
Your in Year 3 already.. I think it won't affect you much :D :D .......

"Might be" all the Masters will operate by AGSM ??.... then FCE will have more resources focus on the Undergrad. course ?....:p :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

I still have another 2 yrs to go (Honours yr) :D

I think the FCE is absorbing the losses from the AGSM.

So-net

HSC
回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

OMG....The AGSM website still showing this:eek: :eek: ....
The AGSM is a School of both The University of Sydney and The University of New South Wales

So-net

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

§eraphim said:
I still have another 2 yrs to go (Honours yr) :D

I think the FCE is absorbing the losses from the AGSM.
Good on you :) :)
Ya.....learn from the failure :D :D

Raginsheep

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

So is it a yay or nay thing? Will the merger ultimately provide benefits for us undergrads or will AGSM just be a heavy burden on the FCE?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: AGSM to merge with FCE

Probably not at undergrad level anytime soon (~3yrs).

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
So-net said:
Your in Year 3 already.. I think it won't affect you much :D :D .......

"Might be" all the Masters will operate by AGSM ??.... then FCE will have more resources focus on the Undergrad. course ?....:p :p
FCE won't actually have more resources even if the Masters program is transferred to AGSM, since it will have to transfer some of the existing postgrad resources to support the Masters courses.

But there will be benefits in that instead of maintaining two "Commerce Faculties" (ie. FCE and AGSM), it can now be streamlined into one. I don't think it will be identical to the Wharton model since they rebranded their undergrad to "Wharton" too, but i doubt FCE will rebrand itself "AGSM" (simply because that name isnt relevant to undergrads!)

phrred

HSC
Has anyone heard anymore on this?
I read in the AGSM alumni magazine its going to happen and FCE will be renamed UNSW Faculty of Business. I dont know when its happening though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)