ah...desk checking anyone....??? (1 Viewer)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
ai pplz, can somebody please explain to me the concept of desk-checking? i really really realllllly dont understand that crap coz my book dosent explain it properly.. and also can somebody define 'test data' please.....any help would be appreciated!!!

smallcattle

HSC
Deskchecking is like inputting different test data to see what each outcome will be

eg

BEGIN MainProgram

READ num

num = num + 1

Display num

END MainProgram

test data would be like 2, 4, test, and stuff like that

input of num =2 would get you a result of 3, input of 3 would get you a result of 4, and a input of test would get you runtime error

Last edited:

Doogsy

:eek: u dont even know what test data is. its just any data you use to test an algorithm or source code. You should pick test data that tests outside the boundaries, close to the boundaries, on the boundaires and well within the boundaries of the algorithm
eg
IF count > 10 THEN
here some suitable test data would be: 50, 11, 10, 9, 5 (in the respective order above)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
basically our teacher sed doing a structured walkthrough is just as good as a 'desk check' i dont really know why they are 2 diff things :S

but yeah make sure u test:
- legal + expected
- illegal + expected
- legal + unexpected

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
lol ok ok i get it now hehe thanx u guys, gud luck 2moro!

xeriphic

desk checking is manual testing of the algorithm using test data and comparing the expected output with the actual output as an attempt to locate errors, this is ofen carried out in the planning and designing stage as elimiting error early can reduce costly and time consuming errors later on, when desk checking, you need to check all paths of execution, above and below boundary conditions and unexpected inputs

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
yea but in reality everyone uses desk checking by puttign the names of variables in a table and usign the necessary test data to update the value of variables..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)