ahhhh.. The irony is sickening (oh, and, UAI prediction, anyone?) (1 Viewer)

robertdapice

Yar... the irony that instead of typing this message I could actually IMPROVE my mark. Let's just ignore that for a moment:

English Advanced: Trial = 81/100. Final ranking = 21/160
English Ext 1: Trial = 45/50. Final Ranking = 7/65
Maths Ext 1: Trial = 96/100. Final Ranking = 1/118
Maths Ext 2: Trial = 88/100. Final Ranking = 6/64
Physics: Trial = 83/100. Final Ranking = 12/85
Latin: Trial = 83/100. Final Ranking = 6/12

(hoping to improve a lot in english adv. - really trying for band 6)
(also should do a little bit better in physics.)
(Oh, and my latin class is really competent. :p. Should get band 6 for latin methinks)

I go to NSBHS - 7th school in 2002 HSC.

Um, a prediction would be great, thanks to anyone who bothers, and good luck to peoples.

Last edited:

Saul

*ss
HSC
hmmm... i'd think you get low 90's if you're lucky. put some work in and you may get 95.

robertdapice

Originally posted by Cyph
Smoking hot stuff, 99 is within reach depending on how well you perform in english and latin in the HSC.

I see 3U & 4U maths, 2U physics, 3U english counting which are 99 material...then 2U of english or latin and 1U of the remaining subject maybe not quite 99 material. Depends how much you bring them up whether you break the 99 barrier I think, I'm inclined to think 98 atm.
thanks man.

I would be really surprised if latin didn't count. I don't know. I know the trial mark and rank looks low, but it's actually a really really strong class, and the teacher has told us repeatedly that we could all easily band 6. I would seriously disappoint myself if I didn't get band 6 in latin.

Physics was the worry for me. I really crapped on myself with those marks, but hoping to pick up and make band 6.

Oh, and I would REALLY like to get above 99 :p
as in, I would disappoint myself with less than 99. But that seems quite probable.

Thanks for your advice.

Originally posted by Saul
hmmm... i'd think you get low 90's if you're lucky. put some work in and you may get 95.
Saul, you need to put on some weight dude. seriously.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Definitely in the high 90's

For some reason, the past NSBHS people who have asked for predictions also didn't have such a good mark in comparison to their other subjects.

Was your exam hard?

robertdapice

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Definitely in the high 90's

For some reason, the past NSBHS people who have asked for predictions also didn't have such a good mark in comparison to their other subjects.

Was your exam hard?

Do you mean for Latin??

Well, first, our teacher is methodical, but also very pragmatic. NSBHS always has a really strong latin class methinks, so she is only familiar with very good people, and only expects very good-ness. But I talked to people in other schools, who had top marks around 83.

Anyways, i think last year about 60% of people got band 6 in latin. I'm pretty confident that I'm in the top 60%. (i think).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I went to that school, and those ranking are quite good. I don't think your year will do as well as mine (2002). :p But anyway, a reasonable estimate would be - somewhere between 98.50-99.50

Last edited:

huck fenn

Saul, mr sub 80's uai boy, i'd go an eat some more chocolate whilst playing 64 instead of studying if i were you.

Ragerunner: our school is not the greatest english school. we do well cause everyone is nerded, but not uber well. this is largely i think due to the emphasis in the minds of the individuals of the importance of maths and sciences. We also have some very silly english teachers. Having said that, i think that dap will get a higher mark in english in the hsc, and i also think our school will generally perform better than we did in the trials. I also hope that they did mark us harshly (we did the cssa paper...) because that would mean i am on easy street...

ne hoo. dapples, no prediction from me. i have a vested interest in you getting 99+ so you can come be a hermit at ANU with me. so bleary do it, ok?>???!!?

Saul

*ss
HSC
haha tommy... last time im ever giving you encouragement, EVER.

robertdapice

Originally posted by flyin'
I went to that school, and those ranking are quite good. I don't think your year will do as well as mine (2002). :p But anyway, a reasonable estimate would be - somewhere between 98.50-99.50
hmmm okay. I really need to push that up to above 99. I fiddled around with some calculators, and found that if I perform as well in maths as I'm doing at the moment, and make band 6 in all other subjects except english (which would be high band 5), I could get 99.85.

I'm aiming high.

yeah, I DO think they mark english advanced fair bit tough at our school. Well, we'll see how it works out.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Your Mathematics rankings are perhaps you're best rankings. As for English, you have a pretty good chance of gettin' in Band-6 for Ext1 and maybe less chance for Advanced, but it's very possible if you get 91 or 92 in the exam. Physics is respectable, but not great. As for Latin, you people are lucky you had Matters, we had, well let's just say... if we had Matters or Jones we'd have had a whole class in Band-6 last year.

robertdapice

Originally posted by flyin'
Your Mathematics rankings are perhaps you're best rankings. As for English, you have a pretty good chance of gettin' in Band-6 for Ext1 and maybe less chance for Advanced, but it's very possible if you get 91 or 92 in the exam. Physics is respectable, but not great. As for Latin, you people are lucky you had Matters, we had, well let's just say... if we had Matters or Jones we'd have had a whole class in Band-6 last year.
Yeah, she is a ridiculously awesome teacher man. SO lucky to have her. But she does expect a lot.

I just hope it all pays off. I really do think our class is pretty damn strong.

physics was really really disappointing. Last year I was coming first the whole year, then ended up 3rd. It's a really really poor course - totally regret it if it weren't prerequisites to so many uni courses. I'm hoping to make band 6 at least.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Although Matters is good, IMO Jones is better. I had Matters in Year 8, and Jones for the most of the rest of the time, before she left and Latin went basically downhill for us. However, Matters gets you to do so much work, that I have no doubt your class will do very well (against those rich private schools).

As for Physics, I knew nothing last year, and still got a very decent Assessment mark (I won't say much about the Exam mark, tho :p). So as long as your exam mark is strong, Band-6 shouldn't be hard at all.

Btw, there's a Latin forum in this forum.

Last edited:

Saul

*ss
HSC
yeah dap, don't worry bout physics... you've got a fantastic understanding of all the concepts, you're just being compared to our school. you'll easily get a band six.

robertdapice

the UAI calculator thingy (ozseeker) seems to tell me that only 3% of the candidature will get band 6 in physics.

Jeo

Originally posted by robertdapice
the UAI calculator thingy (ozseeker) seems to tell me that only 3% of the candidature will get band 6 in physics.
That is a prediction based on statistics from 01 and 02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)