Ahmadinejad wins Iranian election (1 Viewer)

Jessica14

HSC
Note: Results still unconfirmed at this stage.

Al Jazeera English said:
[FONT=&quot]Ahmadinejad 'set for Iran victory'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's president, has taken a seemingly unassailable lead in his bid for re-election, Iran's interior ministry has said.

With 80 per cent of the ballots counted on Saturday, the election commission put Ahmadinejad ahead with 63.8 per cent of the vote against 32.7 per cent for Mir Hossein Mousavi, his main rival.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Doctor Ahmadinejad, by getting a majority of the votes, has become the definite winner of the 10th presidential election," the official IRNA news agency reported.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But Mousavi, who had himself declared victory just moments after the polls closed on Friday, described the decision to declare Ahmadinejad as the winner as "treason to the votes of the people". [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I personally strongly protest the many obvious violations and I'm warning I will not surrender to this dangerous charade," he said in a statement.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The result of such performance by some officials will jeopardise the pillars of the Islamic Republic and will establish tyranny."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mousavi complained that many people had been prevented from voting, in part due to a shortage of ballot papers, and said that the authorities had blocked text messaging, which his campaign has used to reach young voters.

'Question marks'[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Trita Parsi, the president of National American Iranian Council, told Al Jazeera that the emphatic nature of the victory raised "a lot of question marks".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"There are so many inconsistencies, they are even reporting that Ahmadinejad won the city of Tabriz, which is Mousavi's home town, with 57 per cent. That seems extremely unlikely.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"How come the votes were counted so quickly, even though the polls were open six hours extra?" he asked.

Scuffles broke out between police and chanting Mousavi supporters in a Tehran square early on Saturday, witnesses said. Anti-riot police were deployed outside government offices.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Al Jazeera's Teymoor Nabili, reporting from Tehran, said that the results declared by the interior ministry would still need to be signed off by the state audit body and the audit commission of the supreme leader.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"These two bodies are headed by men who might not be so close to the present administration," he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Mousavi has the option of going to these two bodies and saying 'look I want definitive proof from you that these are clean numbers' ... but Mousavi is going to have to make some very tough choices about how much trouble he wants to make over these results."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ahmadinejad's supporters took to the street in the early hours of Saturday, waving Iranian flags and honking car horns, after IRNA had declared the election for the incumbent president.

"Where are the greens? In a mousehole," some of them said, referring to the campaign colours of Mousavi, whose supporters held mass rallies in recent weeks.

The two other candidates up for election - Mohsen Rezai, a former commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, and Mehdi Karroubi, an ex-parliament speaker - were set to finish a distant third and fourth.[/FONT]

If these results are correct, then I am disappointed by Ahmadinejad's re-election. I much preferred Moussavi's policies-- both foreign and domestic. I do not think this result is in the best interest of diplomatic relations within the Middle East.

Edit: Again, I do not know what is wrong with the Italics.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad needs to shave so he can look abit more like a decent, civilized president.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Oh dear, there goes the chance for Middle East peace in this century xD

Although I did read a report that said the opposition would have been likely to continue the nuclear program.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ouch! Landslide.
Crazy Persians

Jessica14

HSC
Oh dear, there goes the chance for Middle East peace in this century xD

Although I did read a report that said the opposition would have been likely to continue the nuclear program.

Yeah, that's true, but Moussavi had said that he would only be looking at nuclear power (not that I'm convinced by his words). On the other hand, he was interested in restabilising relations with the US, something they've not had since the 70s, and had called Ahmadinejad's Holocaust denial wrong. He was also planning to do more for women's rights and his wife, a university professor, was set to be the first First Lady to play an active role in the country's public sphere.

Jessica14

HSC
New York Times Breaking News Alert said:
Ahmadinejad Is Declared Victor, but Rival Protests

The Iranian government said Saturday the incumbent, President
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, won the presidential election with 62.6
percent of the vote and that the challenger, Mir Hussein
Mousavi, received 33.75 percent.

The Interior Ministry said turnout was a record 85 percent of
eligible voters. Mr. Moussavi charged that there had been
voting irregularities and said, "I'm warning that I won't
surrender to this manipulation," according to The Associated
Press.
I believe we have confirmation.....

How upsetting.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Iran is probably far more worried about the rest of the Middle East than it is about them. Collectively, the Arab world is generally on good terms with both Israel and America, and in some cases is specifically allied with them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Middle_east_graphic_2003.jpg

The only country on that map that isn't allied with the West or at odds with Iran is Syria.

If Iran gets the nuke, a lot of those countries will follow suit, including Syria (who also doesn't trust Iran). In fact, Syria already tried getting the tech off North Korea, but America bombed their nuclear facilities in 2006.

Last edited:

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
The world's media apologists are not supporting Ahmadinejad, thank God. I was expecting differently.

Still won't change anything. There'll be a few protests, Ahmadinejad will crush them, do some other evil nasty stuff, the Ayatollah will support Ahmadinejad and then the world will forget and focus on the Nuclear problem. Just watch.

banco55

HSC
At least noone will be able to claim with a straight face anymore that Iran is a democracy.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
i like the way when someone loses an election that you were all supporting, you pull out the OMG ELECTION RIGGED excuse

noone has proof it was rigged. you're all sore losers.

ahmadinejad 4eva. DEATH 2 ISRAEL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)