Ahst 260 (1 Viewer)

xQuIsIt

HSC
hi everyone
just wondering if anyone here has done Ahst 260 or knows anyone who has done it and can give me a little feedback about this unit in general.

Thanks heaps

much appreciated :wave:

X

xeuyrawp

xQuIsIt said:
hi everyone
just wondering if anyone here has done Ahst 260 or knows anyone who has done it and can give me a little feedback about this unit in general.

Thanks heaps

much appreciated :wave:
I'm doing it this sem.

The hieroglyphs summer school would have been really beneficial. If you'd like, I could pass on my notes from the school. :)

xQuIsIt

HSC
Cool
So u did summer school for hieroglyphs..sounds goood. How did u find it?

Regarding ur notes it would be great it u could pass them over, thats if u dont mind ofcourse... very much appreciated ;)

X

xeuyrawp

Sorry about the late reply. I just noticed you'd posted back!

xQuIsIt said:
Cool
So u did summer school for hieroglyphs..sounds goood. How did u find it?
The summer school was awesome!

I'm sorry you didn't come, but it was more of a social/fun thing rather than a very academic one.

Regarding ur notes it would be great it u could pass them over, thats if u dont mind ofcourse... very much appreciated ;)
Probably the best thing to do is to add me to msn. What is probably easiest is to meet at the uni and to photocopy what we did, so that I can explain it to you.

Even better would you be getting Collier's How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs, the new edition.

Basically, if you can't meet up with me, I'd

1. Learn all the uniliterals (the one-letter hieroglyphs) by sight. Probably put them on some flash-cards (I've made some already),
2. Learn about direction, phonetic complements, and grouping,
3. Learn a few biliterals.

Collier is excellent in that it's a good introduction. I've actually got a copy which I would be more than happy to lend you. I wouldn't recommend getting into anything as heavy as Gardiner's Egyptian Grammer, but if you are really keen, Allen's Middle Egyptian is excellent.

Something to be mindful of is that Allen and Gardiner use a few different methods to Macquarie, as does Collier (but not as much). Worth noting is that Macquarie teaches in a very traditional way (imagine your parents learning Latin); Collier and, to an extent, Allen both use a far more practical 'verbalist' approach. This is the best way to learn by yourself, because it keeps you motivated.

Furthermore, Allen and Gardiner use different signs for transliteration; both use the 'z' as a transliteration of the door-bolt glyph, whereas Macquarie transliterate it as a 's'. Allen also uses a 'j' for the reed-leaf, Macquarie uses a 'y'. Just some things like that, as well as using parantheses for soft Is, plural Ws, and feminine Ts, and the use of the equals sign for suffixes, is something to note.

Bah. Just add me to msn. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)