Aiiyah!!!! (1 Viewer)

boogerboy999

HSC
N/A
Well this is my 1st post, and i am scared to hell about my marks at James Ruse.

Well you see, im new to ruse this year, and lets just say i have quite the pressure from parents as such. Just finished my half yearlies, and i must say, i am in quite the shizz... T____T. However, i did do ok i think, but yeh, here are my results.

English 2unit Advanced: 27/30 (ranked top 20 out of 172)
English Extension: 14/15 (ranked top 10 out of 150 something)
Economics: 19/20 (ranked top 10 out of 80 something)
Chemistry: 48/55 (ranked top 30 out of 150 something i fink)
Biology: 48/59 (ranked top 30 out of 70)

I couldve done much better in chem and bio if not for my silly mistakes in chemistry and screwed up prac results for bio ( i mean who the hell gives marks for naming colours of cells xD)

Those were my good subjects i fink. Here are the rest:
Mathematics 2unit: 51/60 (ranked top 90 out of 172 i fink)
Mathematics Extension: 40/60 (dont know approx ranking, but should be bottom 30 xD)

I was jsut wondering, how i can improve my maths marks. I normally do well in maths during class but i always blank out during my maths exams....maybe its the pressure but i dont know. Maths is like the one true important subject at Ruse xD. And i really want to get into 4unit....
At my old school, i came like 4th in maths, coming to Ruse, i am now in srs shock D:

So yeh, can anyone shed some light on how my maths marks can be lifted. Oh btw, how would you say my current situation is at Ruse, and if possible, a UAI calculation :S?

stillwaters

HSC
wooow!! if thats what youre getting at ruse youre probably gonna kick the majority of the states arses next year ^^

erm... improving maths marks-
  • try and do all your work thats meant to be done in class, in class... (might not be a problem for ruse but i always did abit of stuff then got distracted and wound up having to finish it at home)
  • if theres anything you dont get go to the teacher and keep asking them questions, make them show you how to do it etc. until you get it. and then do more questions from textbook etc. until you get it to the core of your being... :p (i dont thiink the first two points are much of a problem cos you said you normally do well in class...)
  • when you think you get all of the topics that theyve taught you so far, grab past hsc exam papers and do questions that are relevant to you. (cos its maths, you can hsc papers that go back to like thw 1970s or something... it hasnt changed that much... you can get books which have all the past exam papers from 1970s onwards... was my best friend for a while...) see if your teacher/ friends in year 12/ grade above (?) can get you past ruse papers as well? and do those.
  • make list of all formulas etc. and rote learn those...
sounds like its your exam technique... maybe try some breathing exercises when youre in the exam room to relax?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Erm, except for Maths, I think that a lot of your results are rather stellar (for James Ruse). You shouldn't worry too much about it. As for Maths - just know your formulas, and then the various different types of questions you can get by applying those formulas, and then after that, it's just past papers, past papers, past papers.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Are you fucking serious? You're in the top 30 for all your subjects bar math AND you're in the top school in the state and you're worried? What course/UAI are you aiming for anyways?

You're doing perfectly fine, nothing wrnog with yuor ranks unless you're aiming 100UAI (I have no idea why you would aim for 100 rather than the "do your best" thing).

For math - practice papers, that's all.

PS. I think you'll get around 60 UAI.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
boogerboy999 said:
So yeh, can anyone shed some light on how my maths marks can be lifted. Oh btw, how would you say my current situation is at Ruse, and if possible, a UAI calculation :S?
You get your UAI estimates soon right? Your schools proberly going to give you something around 98, but thats just stupid. Your ranks = UAI >99.5 at your school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ok, I will be realistic here. Looking from your results, you are looking at UAI around 99. Statistics show that half of James Ruse students achieve 99 UAI. You are on your way for 99 UAI.

HOWEVER, you need to learn to accept your own results and move on from it. Your marks are your responsibility and you cannot dismiss that fact. So, I recommend you to look at your results once again and learn from those mistakes. You ranks are perfectly fine. All you need to do is to move forward from then on.

Good luck.

boogerboy999

HSC
N/A
haha thanks guys.

Yeh it was just a sudden shock coming from a private school into a selective school where everyone is competitive.

Btw my maths teachers pretty crappy, she cant speak english properly so :S. Ill just make do with going to a tutor or something. (haha mrs chan for all you ruse ppl on this forum...if there are any ppl from ruse here :S)

I still really dont have any idea of wat course i really want to do. But i wouldnt mind becoming a surgeon (therefore doing med) like my dad or a commerce lawyer like my cousing. Im just having a lot of pressure put on me since all my cousins got 99.5+ and they expect me to get like 100 (xD).

Oh yeh, i kept my choices open, and i wouldnt mind becoming a commercial lawyer. But yeh, hopefully i do well...

Another question ppl, should i really stress that much about yr 11, and do we really need to study lke 3hours a night like all the teachers say. Right now im putting in like aruond one hour a night :S.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
yeah ruse avg is low-mid 99s

OP is heading somewhere around 99.5

phys and chem "careless mistakes": sorry, about 80% of lost marks are those "careless mistakes," so keep working hard :rolleyes:

you have nothing to worry about, maths ranks at ruse are a joke. just try to get about avg..

calagain

Banned
HSC
boogerboy999 said:
Another question ppl, should i really stress that much about yr 11, and do we really need to study lke 3hours a night like all the teachers say. Right now im putting in like aruond one hour a night :S.
lol

why would you dude, it doesn't count for shit.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
boogerboy999 said:
haha thanks guys.

Yeh it was just a sudden shock coming from a private school into a selective school where everyone is competitive.

Btw my maths teachers pretty crappy, she cant speak english properly so :S. Ill just make do with going to a tutor or something. (haha mrs chan for all you ruse ppl on this forum...if there are any ppl from ruse here :S)

I still really dont have any idea of wat course i really want to do. But i wouldnt mind becoming a surgeon (therefore doing med) like my dad or a commerce lawyer like my cousing. Im just having a lot of pressure put on me since all my cousins got 99.5+ and they expect me to get like 100 (xD).

Oh yeh, i kept my choices open, and i wouldnt mind becoming a commercial lawyer. But yeh, hopefully i do well...

I reckon two hours a night will be sufficient. One hour = homework
Another hour = revision

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
melanieeestroll said:
i agree but its better to be conservative.
their schools conservative, they're high UAI estimates are around 98 even though everybody gets over 99. It's proberly just to make them work harder. :D

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lol, I"m in year 12 and I'm rarely doing 2 hrs a night. Let alone 1.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Wow nice ranks, especially from a student at Ruse. Your probably looking around at 99+...

L

lsam

boogerboy999 said:
Well this is my 1st post, and i am scared to hell about my marks at James Ruse.

Well you see, im new to ruse this year, and lets just say i have quite the pressure from parents as such. Just finished my half yearlies, and i must say, i am in quite the shizz... T____T. However, i did do ok i think, but yeh, here are my results.

English 2unit Advanced: 27/30 (ranked top 20 out of 172)
English Extension: 14/15 (ranked top 10 out of 150 something)
Economics: 19/20 (ranked top 10 out of 80 something)
Chemistry: 48/55 (ranked top 30 out of 150 something i fink)
Biology: 48/59 (ranked top 30 out of 70)

I couldve done much better in chem and bio if not for my silly mistakes in chemistry and screwed up prac results for bio ( i mean who the hell gives marks for naming colours of cells xD)

Those were my good subjects i fink. Here are the rest:
Mathematics 2unit: 51/60 (ranked top 90 out of 172 i fink)
Mathematics Extension: 40/60 (dont know approx ranking, but should be bottom 30 xD)

I was jsut wondering, how i can improve my maths marks. I normally do well in maths during class but i always blank out during my maths exams....maybe its the pressure but i dont know. Maths is like the one true important subject at Ruse xD. And i really want to get into 4unit....
At my old school, i came like 4th in maths, coming to Ruse, i am now in srs shock D:

Your ranks are quite decent. But this is only the preliminary year. You don't know what might happen. I have a girlfriend at JR who was like top 10 in all her subjects. Now she is like out of that league due to increased competition. Good luck. You will survive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)