Akhenaton (1 Viewer)

classics_chic

HSC
Does anyone here have any information on Akhenaton (Amenhotep IV)? I'm studying him at uni atm and I just don't get it as much as I'd like to (but then again, maybe that's the problem). I've never studied the Near East/ Egypt before so it's all a bit new...

Thanks in advance! :)

Best of luck to all of you! :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i havent studied Akhenaten in any detail, but i do know from my research of early new kingdom egypt that theres a heap of new theories on the possibility of akhenaten being a woman.
oh, also that hes commonly credited with the religious revolution (re: Amun vs Aten), but the Aten was already considered prominent in religion in Hatshepsut's time.

Ogden_Nash

HSC
Hmm, it's a shame, our teacher is giving us so much information on Akhenaten recently. I know he's getting it all from books, so check your library.

kas

HSC
Hey!

I just did my trial for AH, so i hope i can help you!
Ummm, from the lack of evidence of reliefs just prior to the Armarna period (The period of Akhenaten) it seems as though Akhenaten may have bneen shunned by his parents and families in his youth. As such, Akhentaten seems to have abandoned the central god of Amun in the 3rd-4th years of his reign. He starts to dedicate all of his time to the worship of the god Aten, and as such changes his name from Amenhotep to Akhenaten. I'm not sure what that means, but hey.

He hurridely builds a city and moves the entire royal court (and capital) to Akhetaten (Sounds awfully like "Akhenaten", but hey...) or modern day Armarna, where he bans the worship of any other gods and dedicates much of Egypt's resources to the worship of the Aten.

In reliefs from the period, Akhenaten is shown with a protruded stomach, elongated head and abnormally long fingers. Scholars today speculate that it may have been the result of a disease, which i can't remember the name of at the mo. ;)

The sculptures of this time may be a relfectinon of Akhentaten's motto of, "Living in truth," as before this era, statues of pharaohs were always perfect. Akhenaten is also shown in intimate scenes with Nefertiti and his children, stufdf that had never happened before.

Hope i've helped! Anyone reading this, feel free to correct me! :lol:

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
akenaten basiclly = change

he moved the city ( literally and aligned it and stuff)
he changes the religion ( make main god aten instead of amun)
he changes the art ( make it more naturlistic, there have been tombs found with pictures of his family etc which was unheard of before hand)
and he changed other stuff too ( um i am trying to think)
yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)