Al-Faisal College beats James Ruse in Maths (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
FIrst and foremost your statement has a huge flaw. Do you imply al Faisal, Ruse and Baulkham hills are not selective schools. What are you trying the same. You are trying to contrast two or more things when you are trying to say they are all the same.
Sorry I meant Faisal isn't a selective school, while JR and BH are*

s97127

HSC
Sorry I meant Faisal isn't a selective school, while JR and BH are*
In terms of teacher performance, i believe Faisal teachers are better compared to JH and BH. Faisal does not have the best students but their teachers work very hard to get that results. Obviously, JR and BH students are better that is expected.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
In terms of teacher performance, i believe Faisal teachers are better compared to JH and BH. Faisal does not have the best students but their teachers work very hard to get that results. Obviously, JR and BH students are better that is expected.
Let's be honest, teachers are JR and BH don't teach. Students teach themselves.

vishnay

God
HSC
Let's be honest, teachers are JR and BH don't teach. Students teach themselves.
teaching at a selective school must be a teacher's dream

kids might be mildly noisy or disruptive but aren't straight up violent or abusive, furthermore they get satisfactory results without u having to even teach them

u get paid the same as ur comprehensive school counter-parts with half the effort

there are exceptions where good teachers work hard to push good students and make them better but i'm talking abt the lazy teachers who just dont give a rat's arse abt their profession and are just living the dream

Johnny Sins

HSC
My mates mom works at Al Faisal as a primary school teacher, and according to him staff are severly overworked. Mfs in year 4 are getting yearly tests to determine wether they go to a smart or dumb class, cant imagine whats its like during high school. They also expel students before year 11 who don't achieve satisfactory academic grades. The school legit values its reputation over everything. fraudsters

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
My mates mom works at Al Faisal as a primary school teacher, and according to him staff are severly overworked. Mfs in year 4 are getting yearly tests to determine wether they go to a smart or dumb class, cant imagine whats its like during high school. They also expel students before year 11 who don't achieve satisfactory academic grades. The school legit values its reputation over everything. fraudsters
in year 4 lmfaooo wtf, talk about starting early

5uckerberg

HSC
teaching at a selective school must be a teacher's dream

kids might be mildly noisy or disruptive but aren't straight up violent or abusive, furthermore they get satisfactory results without u having to even teach them

u get paid the same as ur comprehensive school counter-parts with half the effort

there are exceptions where good teachers work hard to push good students and make them better but i'm talking abt the lazy teachers who just dont give a rat's arse abt their profession and are just living the dream
Now, @vishnay do you why those teachers keep staying in the workforce despite all the students and parents wanting to remove them. I will give you a clue. They are supported by the big elephant in the room that once chanted on the 7th of December for a rise in teachers' wages. Do you know what that is called?

I mean this is a double-edged sword in today's society.

jkjkjk

HSC
most private schools value reputation over everything. its just how it is lmao. also remember that the oc test exists - a test in year 4 which determines whether you can get into a 'smart' class or a 'dumb' class. a large chunk of selective kids come from oc classes.

Jojofelyx

HSC
most private schools value reputation over everything. its just how it is lmao. also remember that the oc test exists - a test in year 4 which determines whether you can get into a 'smart' class or a 'dumb' class. a large chunk of selective kids come from oc classes.
from what ive seen, a private schools reputation is upheld and directly coorelated to the success of their first XV rugby team, closely followed by their rowing success, and then followed by their athletic performance, and THEN comes the academic b6 focus.

5uckerberg

HSC
from what ive seen, a private schools reputation is upheld and directly coorelated to the success of their first XV rugby team, closely followed by their rowing success, and then followed by their athletic performance, and THEN comes the academic b6 focus.
Rugby team and then rowing success and then athletic performance, academic focus.
Well, do you know why this is the Australian culture
For them,
#1 Rugby, cricket, others
#2 Rowing as Australia has a reasonable amount of success in that especially in the Olympic games
#3 athletic performance because Australia loves watching sports and such loves intense moments
#4 Academics because this stuff makes Australians look the other direction.

jkjkjk

HSC
those private schools also cost 30k a year. i wouldn't expect anything less from them, if not more.

HasanJamali

HSC
Uni Grad
Not to take away from the achievements of the students in those schools, but care needs to be taken to put the statistics with appropriate context (much like the broader school rankings in the media). What these schools have achieved is amazing but it would be misleading to say that Al-Faisal has outperformed James Ruse in maths (by measure of band 6s) when the different levels of the cohort as a whole are not taken into account.

For example, the article notes that the majority of the students in Al-Faisal did Mathematics Standard as a caveat (which James Ruse does not offer) and it is well known (anecdotally at least) that there are practices of forcing perfectly capable students into lower level maths courses. Since the data excludes a significant chunk of their students (it only shows advanced and extension percentages), it would not be correct to extrapolate this to make a general comment about the cohort as a whole.

More context can be provided if you look at where the band 6s are coming from even if you just outright ignore the Mathematics Standard students (which you shouldn't). For Al-Faisal, the proportions of its band 6s in Adv, Ext1 and Ext2 are (66%, 18%, 16%) whereas for James Ruse they are (12%, 52% 37%). This suggests that for Al-Faisal, most of the band 6s are coming from Mathematics Advanced whereas for James Ruse, the majority of its band 6s are coming from Mathematics Extension 1 (noting that about half its students take Ext2).
Hi, as a 2021 Ruse graduate, most of what you are saying is right. However, some of your stats were slightly off. In 2021, we had 156/159 students from our Y12 cohort choose Maths Extension 1 (MX1) while 119/159 students from our cohort chose Maths Extension 2. A simple HSC Ninja search while show that 147/156 (94.2%) of those MX1 students received a B6 while 105/119 (88.2%) of those MX2 students received a B6. Also, out of all the students that did do the Mathematics Advanced, all of them received a B6. Just wanted to provide some inside stats :)

Last edited:

XXXPUMPERXXX

HSC
Uni Grad
. This will go a long way in correcting the mostly negative image most people have of the Muslim community: suicide bombers, Al Qaeda, the Islamic State, the gang wars of the crime families . . . .
BRuh they are at a private school of course there's not going to be people like that. Come and see the high school I graduated from.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
BRuh they are at a private school of course there's not going to be people like that. Come and see the high school I graduated from.
lmaooo oath bro, some people at my school idk what they're on half the time and why they even continue into hsc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)