Albert Speer Essay Questions (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Here are some essay questions previously posted about Albert Speer. Please add any essay questions you have to the thread so this can be a continuing resource for HSC students studying this personality.

- To what extent was Speer an apolitical technocrat?
- How effective were Speer's armament reforms?
- Explain the positive effect of Speer's architure on the Nazi's power
-Describe Alberts Speers contribution to German arcitecture from 1933-45
-Assess Speers importance to the German war effort 1941-45

Jennibeans

HSC
Describe the significant events in the career of Albert Speer up to 1945

'From the beginning Speer served Hitler & the german war effort without question. He was unaware of the importance of anything else.'
In light of this statement, assess the role of Albert Speer in the Nazi war effort from 1941 onwards.

(HSC 2002)

rama_v

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Here are some essay questions previously posted about Albert Speer. Please add any essay questions you have to the thread so this can be a continuing resource for HSC students studying this personality.

- To what extent was Speer an apolitical technocrat?
- How effective were Speer's armament reforms?
- Explain the positive effect of Speer's architure on the Nazi's power
-Describe Alberts Speers contribution to German arcitecture from 1933-45
-Assess Speers importance to the German war effort 1941-45
I really really doubt that you willl EVER get a questino onf Speer's architecture, mostbooks dotn really go into Speer's architectural detials very much because the building swere just reaally big and plain. However it is definitely much more likely that we will get one on teh war, or perhaps even his relatinoship with Hitler.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Wrong.

You can get a question on it, his career is divided into two aspects, architect and minister of armaments.

of course you can get a question on architecture, architecture as a tool of propoganda etc.

star_mountain

HSC
You think we are gonna get one on whether Speer knew about the final solution this time?

KarmaKitten

HSC
star_mountain said:
You think we are gonna get one on whether Speer knew about the final solution this time?

Um. they might.

but probably along the lines of 'assess Speer's involvement in the final solution' etc

rama_v

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Wrong.

You can get a question on it, his career is divided into two aspects, architect and minister of armaments.

of course you can get a question on architecture, architecture as a tool of propoganda etc.
I think your right in the sense that architecture was a tool for propaganda, but a quesitno about Speer's architectural styles will not pop up - only teh significance of the buildings themselves and the grand 'pomp and ceremony' value, e.g. teh nuremberg rallies. It would definitely have more to do with the implications of teh architecture as a use for nazi porpaganda i think. If they give us a question on that then ppl in our school would be screwed :(

`|<|2o|\|aLd`

Speer designed more power efficient homes for the new germania. That could be seen as an important archetectural aspect.

fugazi

HSC
Speer's architectural works, such as his rebuilding of the Chancellory, worked as a tool for propaganda.
For example, the 220m walk through spectacular halls and rooms of the Chancellory to get to Hitler's office impressed foreign dictators and represented the state's immense power.
Speer's idea of having a large balcony outside of Hitler's office allowed the Fuhrer to gaze down and greet his support, effectively creating an idea of a 'people's leader'.

Just a couple of ways in which Speer's architecture acted as tools of propaganda.

Maaate

HSC
does anyone else think that hitler and speer might have been gay?!?

they spent all that time away on trips together and didnt speer miss a christmas with his family because he went away with hitler somewhere.... think about it...lol

billy_slater

HSC
hey this isnt really about essay questions, but my school assessment has to do wiht me writing up 3 pages of handwritten notes and taking it into class to do an essay on it with those notes present.
i was wondering whats the best way to approach the notes, just answer the syllabus points? its what i tried doing first, and seeing as this website is like my bible i searched for syllabys answers to speer, but none of the notes directly answer the syllabus points. most of the ntoes just summarise what hte macquaruie guide and other text books have to say. This is not specific to the syllabus. I have the macquaruie guide for modern history, do u think ill be ok wiht just knowing that stuff? and has anybody got straightup answers to the syllabus points??

and another thing, this might put the icing on the cake of my laziness, it says handwritten notes and im trying to figure out a way to dodge it. I have found a good font that looks non typed and hand written, but hwo do u think i could make the microsoft word so that it looks like its a ruled piece of paper instead of a normal white A4 paper to make it look even more "handwritten"

scoobydoo

HSC
amutha you are a lazy turd. there's no way you can have something typed and say its handwritten. just copy it out. its good practise, seeing as you actually have to write in all your exams anyway.
i would also like to know how to approach writing notes for a task such as this. same school. same class even. for the moment, i plan to write notes on significant nazi events and speer's involvement in those. but what should i add to that?

(ps. its jane!)

hangerm5

HSC
A timeline of the significant events in Speers life would be good. Not only should it include Speer's role in significant Nazi event but also the role of Signficant Nazi events in Speers life, especially those that led to him joining the party.

A word of advice, every student in the state will have the Macquarie (or some equivalent) guide. It is where you should start to get a basic overview of Speers life. IT will help you to identify the important aspects of his career but you would be very unwise to assume that that was the only research you needed to do.

biggie walls

HSC
Honestly.. do you want someone to wipe your ass too?

You have the macquarie study guide, you have a copy of the syllabus dont you? Why can't you link the information from the book to the syllabus dot points yourself you lazy bastard?

bozic31

bozic
HSC
u guys must b idiots under the new syllabus they have 2 ask a general question becaus it is required 2 cover aspects of all the other personalities studies, thus both question will b quite broad.

xblizzard

HSC
i love how worked up you idiots are getting about school. I just love it. PS. Just say speer was pure evil + 3 reasons and you'll get a band 3 no probs.

ellle_33

HSC
thankyou bozic! ALL the personality questions are standard dodgy quotes these days... hence its highly unlikely you'll ever be limited to discussing just his architectural career or just his knowledge of the final solution or just his relo with hitler. You're much more likely to have to have a broad understanding of speer held together by what you think of him. Think english meets modern history. You can pretty much make up your own questions, but here are a few good ones i've been given so far:

a) Describe the rise to prominence of the twentieth century personality you have studied (virtually the same sort of question every year!) (10 marks)

b) "Those who are inspired by an ideal rather than self-interest make the biggest impact on history". To what extent does the study of your personality support this view? (15 marks)

or another possible part b) question could be:

b) " This history of a nation is shaped by its leaders". Discuss, making specific reference to the personality you have studied.

As for making notes on Speer, the textbooks give it to you in a really straightforward and easy to handle manner, and i personally find it easier to go in sections such as "early life" "architectural career" "rise to prominence in nazis" etc rather than by the exact syllabus, although it is VERY important to understand and be able to discuss EVERY bit of part 4 of the syllabus "Significance and evaluation"- thats where youre going to source your opinions and essay answers from. Also, keep a section for historiography, because how others interpret speer is integral in how youre going to present him!

Good luck!

wce06

HSC
Our recent Trial question on Speer;

a) Describe the significant events in the life of the Twentieth century personality you have studied (10m)

b) 'Important historical people are judged by their contribution to their nation'
To what exent does the study of you personality support this view? (15m)

The second question always seems strange, simply because they have to fit it to 27 different personalities or however many, so it's a bit of a struggle sometimes to work Speer into it. This one was ok though, I thought.

ane_st

HSC
We were told than one of these four quotes would be in our trial....

(The support/Not Support were done with my teacher.... And scribbled on the board... May not make sense but :S )

1. "The impressive figure in history is not the one who reflects the character of their society, but rather the one who attempts to change it"

Support:
- He was a Nazi - Nazis tried to change things
- Getting rid of Jews
-Architecture/Rallies - used as propaganda to get ppl to follow and believe.

Not Support:
- Follows Hitler
- Technocrat - only doing his job
e.g. Architect- Nasis liked Neo-classical architecture- conservative, no radical designs.
e.g. Armaments Minister - very efficient/organiser
e.g. Final Solution/Foreign Workers- DORA camp
- If he knows about it- he wont challenge it

2. "The most remarkable figures in history are those who have more than one talent to offer their society"

Support:
- Architecture.Propaganda
- Ability to organise - armaments minister
- Intellgent
- Maipulative
- Technocrat
- Writing

Why is he remarkable? *survival*

3. "The career aspirations of talented individuals do not necessarily serve the needs of the society in which they may hold high positions"

Support:
- Supporting himself once after hs release
- "Good Nazi"

Not Support:
- Architecture/Rallies - propaganda, make them feel good
- War/Armamaments Minsiter- serving the needs of the time

4. "The most successful individuals in any society are those who can adapt to the demands of changing times"

Support:
- Great career as a Nazi architect/armaments (means of adaption- skills to help Nazis- Hitler likes Neo-classical therefore Speer likes Neo-classical)- the 'good nazi'
- Does adapt: after was in Nuremburg
- Factories-> Scorched Earth Policy

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Hope that helps!!!!

b3e

HSC
hiiiiii
this isnt about essay questions but can someone help me out here. ok was speer in prison for 19 years or 20 years?
i have like a hundered different numbers for everything grr
thankzz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)