Albert Speer - inspired by an ideal or self-interest? (1 Viewer)

bunnie

As above. :)

I'm thinking both, but what evidence would support that Speer was inspired by an ideal?

TIA. ;)

rama_v

HSC
Speer himself said "The nazis represent the true ideals of German society"
You can include info on how he supported the holocaust (theres no weay he could not have known about it, his claim that "i had closed my eyes" simply goes to show that he knew about it but he didnt do anythign about it)...He visited concentration camps and ordered that "the walls should not be lined, bare walls are enough" - so you could talk about that too...

I think he was inspired by both Nazi ideology and also self interest though it is of my opinion that he was more career driven and didnt question teh morals of his activities (e.g. the aryanisation, and the building of germania which equired teh so calel djew flats to be vacated). I cant see how someone coudl be such a close friend of HItler if they totally disagreed with his ideologies, so maybe you could put that in there too...

rama_v

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
He used slave labor to complete his projects as well.

But just because your friends with someone doesn't mean that you share their ideologies. Might have just been a brown noser perhaps?
Perhaps, but they were very close friends, if hitler ever had a "freind" it was Albert Speer...

Jennibeans

HSC
He believed that Germans were racially superior as demonstrated by the fact that he used Jews, people from occupied territories and other "subhumans" in his factories.
His contributions to the war effort also suggest he believed that Germany could the capital of the world therefore taking up the whole lebenstraum thing

wanderlust

HSC
Nobody knows, this is stupid how are we meant to know what Speer was inspired by or believed? If the man is lying to himself how can he tell us the truth?

suger_plum

Banned
In Heads Racing Car Bed!!! You Know You Want Me!!!
HSC
i think he lied so many times, and said he didnt know. he actually started to believe it. the man said. if anyone was to be hitlers firend. it was me. yet how does a phycopaths best friend not be aare of the main nazi ideal. everyone knew. the people in the street knew. the man is as much a nazi as himmler and hitler.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
suger_plum said:
i think he lied so many times, and said he didnt know. he actually started to believe it. the man said. if anyone was to be hitlers firend. it was me. yet how does a phycopaths best friend not be aare of the main nazi ideal. everyone knew. the people in the street knew. the man is as much a nazi as himmler and hitler.
Always a good Nazi though.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I think it was a combination of both, but if I was everto link it to one specific inspiration over the other, self interest would win by a long shot. I just don't think think that he ever came anywhere near the level of anti-semitism etc that others such as Himmler did.

smileforjordy

HSC
Speer idolised Hitler; he respected his power, his manner and even his 'neat' appearance. Hitler saw Speer as the architect he himself had dreamed to become. They had a strange relationship. Speer joined the Nazi party out of his own accord, and all the evidence indicates that he was aware of the final solution... However it was through his loyalty and respect for Hitler, that he became an overzealous follower of orders, and in turn made a huge impact on history. So yes i think it was a combination, he took the initiative to develop his friendship with Hitler, and move up in the Nazi Party, but it seems he was more intent on pleasing Hitler than promoting his own ideals.

Last edited:

JGreenwood

Jeremy
HSC
Yeah but you all need quotes to back it up, from different historians...contradicting each other and agreeing with each other

mmc754

HSC
Speer was extremley intelligent thats what got him threw. There is no way he didn't know about the final solution, but he denied he new, then took responsiblity in the Nuremburg trials. This is basically plea bargining. Speer was not the 'good nazi' and anyone who thinks so, in my opinion has been sucked in by his charm and charisma. He was extremly self motivated. .... Thats my view anyways

Guevara

HSC
In response to the original question: it sure is hard to take sides on this controversial figure (and I don't use that term lightly since I believe it is used much too often). If anyone is looking to do further research then read up on this essay Albert Speer and the Immorality of the Technicians and if you believe in libraries go find this book: The Good Nazi: The Life and Lies of Albert Speer by Dan Van der Vat. They represent opposing views and are both a great source for quotes, study etc. Now that I've helped our friendly little Mod-His community there is something I'm hoping someone out there can help me with! I am looking for a quote from a reliable, primary source that supports the idea that Speer was apolitical. So far I cannot find ANY citation on this subject, just mere mentionings and acknowledgements. Nothing solid :( Please help! PM me or what not!

georgie.girl

HSC
I guess the "ideal" could be the grand architectural plans for Berlin, like it was this return to classic architecture, Hitler wanted to build cities like Rome and Ancient Greece, that would stand for thousands of years and show how powerful Germany was...

The furhrer cities were all based on that sort of ideal and i think Speer really did beleive in it. But yeah self-interest definately comes into it, all the political intrigues and such...

The Cathedral of Light could also be an example of his idealism, the sort of religious, grand, overwhelming power of the Nazi regime probly effected him

anyways, horrible question!

GeorgieGirl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)