alcohol + painkillers = ??? (1 Viewer)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Depends what painkillers. With panadol, it's much harder on your liver than either seperately, with some others it has much more powerful depressant properties then either normally would which means you can fall asleep/go into a coma/die easier.

Edit: In short, don't do it. If you have a headache after a night of drinking, drink more water.

Last edited:

DLtoken

HSC
Yeah, your kidneys and liver hate that. If you really want to do it, do it a few times and then do your body a favor and never combine the two again. Safe travels...

HSC
cos they r both depressants which slow ur nervous system down. ur body can handle one or the other in moderation but both at once creates issues.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
RiSeAgAiNSt2538 said:
cos they r both depressants which slow ur nervous system down. ur body can handle one or the other in moderation but both at once creates issues.
No, its not as simple as they're both depressants. And panadol and aspirin aren't depressants... It's about the interactions, what they break down to in your live and shit.

lala2

Banned
HSC
- Panadol plus alcohol have serious effects on your liver
- All the NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen or Nurofen, naproxen or Naprogesic, diclofenac or Voltaren) are recommended to use cautiously if your liver function is impaired, and I'm not sure if alcohol would have a direct effect but as it's a strain on your liver (assuming you've drunk enough to be hungover and therefore needing painkillers) probably best to stay off them too
- Opioids such as morphine, codeine, etc are depressants, and so is alcohol. Combined depressant effect (on the respiratory system) = stop breathing = die.

likingtherain

HSC
N/A
I've learnt form experience, they don't mix well. I learnt that the hard way :)

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
lala2 said:
- Panadol plus alcohol have serious effects on your liver
Panadol was sued over that a year and a bit ago now so they changed it and now alcohol and panadol now can mix :)
thats what i was told apparently
from a very reliable friend of a friend who's sister is very high up in the government

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Darnie said:
Panadol was sued over that a year and a bit ago now so they changed it and now alcohol and panadol now can mix :)
thats what i was told apparently
from a very reliable friend of a friend who's sister is very high up in the government
No, you're wrong. You SHOULDN'T mix them, its realllly bad for your liver because of what it gets broken down into. If you have a cold/headache you shouldn't drink and if you have a headache from drinking, it's almost certainly dehydration, so drink water.

I will reiterate again about codeine/opiates, it's not just being two depressants, plenty of people take combinations of drugs that have two or more depressents (by prescription I mean). It's how they interact within your body that is a problem. If you had two panadeines or a glass of scotch separately neither would put any great strain on you. But if you have half as much of each together it can be much stronger.

Simply put, there's no reason why you should mix them.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Exactly. Alcohol and painkillers should never be mixed. I don't know why they were sued, because you were never meant to mix alcohol with panadol (and I'm quite certain there's a warning on the packet).

I read an article about a girl once who mixed painkillers with alcohol - she had to get a liver transplant and was in critical condition for about a week.

If you really have to, wait at least 12 hours, 18 to be safe.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Speds, honestly. Speds who say you can drink and take panadol are the same morons who think it's okay to take 12 panadol at one time. Enjoy your liver failure, retards.

Lots of things can happen. Alcohol affects the metabolism of paracetamol and ibuprofen and all that shit. Disrupted metabolism of analgesics leads to liver failure.
Taking alcohol and pain killers also increases the sedative effect in both, which not only makes you wanna take a nap nap, it can also lead to a depressed respiratory system.

The only reason painkillers don't carry an alcohol warning in Australia (like they do America) is because we're retards and the TGA thinks putting warnings on there will confuse people. But basically, if you have more than three standard drinks every night you should either
a. stop drinking
b. suck it up and take the pain

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, hence why you should take aspirin or some other non-paracetamol alternative for a hangover. Or, you could always do the sensible thing and just not get that drunk.

If anyone really needs convincing by a detailed write out, read below, otherwise take our words for it. Paracetamol can be metabolised in one of two ways--there's a major and minor pathway. The major pathway is what prevails most of the time if you're normal (obviously). Paracetamol is joined with glutathione to form a harmless compound. If you have alcohol, your glutathione stores will be depleted and so paracetamol will be metabolised via the normally minor pathway, forming a reactive product that can cause liver problems (even failure).

Hence don't take paracetamol as a hangover cure.

Suic1de

Banned
HSC
My friend did it accidentally one night and he was struggling to walk when the party had just started.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
makes me even more of a lightweight than i already am. win!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)