• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Algorithm help (1 Viewer)

neo_legion

Umm well since, my whole sdd class failed and i come first in trial and was 8 marks off passing, i figured i need help with algorithms, no body answered the algorithm and if they did it was wrong, and my teacher isn't gunna help, so can anyone help me out here please?

Thanks

Winston

HSC
give us the scenario or requirements for the algorithm

neo_legion

umm i was just woundering if i could get a general idea on how to do then? any tips tricks?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by neo_legion
umm i was just woundering if i could get a general idea on how to do then? any tips tricks?

ok it will be very good to roughly define ur variables

wat r u gonna use and jot down wat the variables are

is it a array list, boolean, integer, string etc...

then you can slowly go through the scenario and do what they ask for

for example

the number needs to be concatenated with the string variable

then you just write sumfing simple that does that

just write everything uno well enough in small sections and then piece it together in a more structured form

if u get wat i mean

the key to sdd exam papers, is to finish most sections and grab as most time for algorithms, depending if the algorithm worths a lot of marks

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Firstly: have you read this thread? http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6467

If not - read it now, and make sure you read the document it is about. (the MAD document.)

The best way to do them is to practice with questions. Go to the Boredofstudies home site (SDD section) and get past papers.

Also: there are often more than one correct solutions for an algorithm, so don't be phased if you dont have exactly the same thing as an answer.

With pseudocode: remember you are writing an ALGORITHM, not CODE... A pseudocode algorithm is a simple set of plain english instructions that complete the task. Dont write things like counter++ in pseudocode. Instead, write: Add one to counter.

Read the document in the other thread for heaps more useful info/symbols/guidelines etc.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
Firstly: have you read this thread? http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6467

If not - read it now, and make sure you read the document it is about. (the MAD document.)

The best way to do them is to practice with questions. Go to the Boredofstudies home site (SDD section) and get past papers.

Also: there are often more than one correct solutions for an algorithm, so don't be phased if you dont have exactly the same thing as an answer.

With pseudocode: remember you are writing an ALGORITHM, not CODE... A pseudocode algorithm is a simple set of plain english instructions that complete the task. Dont write things like counter++ in pseudocode. Instead, write: Add one to counter.

Read the document in the other thread for heaps more useful info/symbols/guidelines etc.

Yep that's exactly true...

examiners are really seeing how well you can use your control structures, and also indentation would be good, as long as you do a quick desk check with a set of small test data to ensure it works out

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
if ur good at programming ur generally pretty good at algorithms...

so code / prac more to get into the logic

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
if ur good at programming ur generally pretty good at algorithms...

so code / prac more to get into the logic
i program alot but i suck at algorithsm

when they mention arrays and etc.. and sometimes they word the question shitty it stumps me

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fosweb

is count = count + 1 ok? ive been using that so i want to make sure its not too close to programming.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
The document in the thread linked to above, which is published by that other BOS (the Board of Studies) increments by saying:

Increment pointer

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
is count = count + 1 ok? ive been using that so i want to make sure its not too close to programming.
that's acceptable now

although that looks very much like coding

i sometimes see myself even skipping that and writing

count += 1

lol doh!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I always write:

increment count

or

add 1 to count

because it steers away from programming. My teacher says almost anything nowadays is acceptable, just as long as it's not programming language, but delivers the same idea of what to do!

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Just learn the basics of the simple datatypes like string, character, integer, date, boolean, double and once you're familiar with those familiarise yourself with harder data types like arrays, files, structures, records etc...

It is really important that you learn how to manipulate all types of arrays (not just 1 dimension).

Learn about control stuctures like while, if, case, do..until etc..

Then learn the basics pseudocode commands like begin end etc...

Once you're familiar with all the things which I have mentioned, you're best bet is to look at examples and most importantly make up some algorithms by yourself. It really isn't that hard. A basic programming book might help you get started.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)