Alice in wonderland (1 Viewer)

sparkles121

HSC
Please help, im doing alice in wonderland as an imaginative journey.
The whole text relates to imaginative journeys as its a dream into unreal existances but does any one know anything more specific, like techniques or something???

georgiarae

HSC
hey, i did alice in wonderland too and this is what i wrote... i wouldnt use this to the exact because that would get us both in trouble, but feel free to read it and put your own kind of twist on the whole thing... just use it as a guideline or something i suppose

Title- Alice In Wonderland
Source- Lewis Carroll; 1862
Text Form- Book
Production Medium- Written
Brief Summary-
Alice in Wonderland tells the story of a small girl who dreams off falling down a rabbit hole into a world filled with nonsense and nursery rhymes. As Alice encounters child-like character after child-like character such as the Cheshire Cat, the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter and March Hare, she grows tired of the illogic and the silliness of her fairy-tale world.

Relate to AOS and Focus Text (if relevant)-
Alice In Wonderland takes its readers onto an imaginative journey into a naive dreamscape with an almost sinister core. Alice finds herself in the most outrageous situations, such as playing croquet with a flamingo as a stick and a hedgehog as a ball! The reader is pulled into this world of madness where it is impossible to not revert back to an uncomplicated, trusting child as songs and rhymes jump from the page.

Language Features and Structures-
Carroll uses metaphor to represent Alice’s journey from a child to a woman. Food, for example, is a metaphor of growth, as Alice eats certain foods she can grow; she can also, however, shrink, which shows that physical growth is not the only requirement for being an adult. The colour red is also used to represent the change into a woman, the white roses being painted red shows a change from innocence and purity to fertility, or, in a more literal sense, the coming of menstruation. Carroll’s use of poems, songs and stories. innocent language helps us relate to a child.

Context of Text-
Carroll is exploring a small girl’s journey from childhood to adulthood, as Alice learns that a life filled with games, nonsense and tea parties is not only undesirable but also deadly. Through a fairy-tale setting Carroll has represented what he believes society would come to without rules and laws, what chaos mankind would live in if we acted on our whims and didn’t apply logic to situations. For example, the croquet game is symbolic of society without rules;
“The players at once without waiting for turns, quarrelling all the while, and fighting for the hedgehogs”
The croquet players are chaotic and inconsiderate, they disregard the rules of the games… and their heads are cut off by the Queen of Hearts.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
heres my 2 cents...

my post will concentrate more on techniques.

i actually studied the Disney film Alice in Wonderland, not the book. Nonetheless, here is what i have found.

consider:

-caricature: the cartoony faces, their frivolous movements, accents, their colourful costuming exaserbates the nonsense and illogical sense of the characters, of wonderland.

-tone: realise that in the beginning alice takes on a more eager, curious and childish tone and train of thought when chasing the white rabbit. nearer to the end of the film, she is more restrained, more contemplative, more reflective --> shows her development of maturity.

-music and song and rhyme: helps to set the atmosphere and tone of the world...many of the songs involve rhyming --> creates rhythm --> momentum to always do before you think, rather than think before you do --> supports the childish and immature nature of alice at the beginning, and of the wonderland characters throughout.

this is all i can think of. any more, i will add onto a new post.

hope it helps, M.D.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I used this text in my essay. I'll post up what I wrote, but it's pretty shit considering this was my worst subject.

Anyhow, I'm posting the non-edited copy (which just increases its shittyness) because in my final copy, Alice in Wonderland had been condensed to half a paragraph.

I hope it can at least give you some ideas.
Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass were written at the request of his child-friend, Alice Liddell. The dream-within-dream structure of the novella encourages readers to suspend all disbelief and delve into the themes, symbols and motifs that the imaginative tale explores. The push for the audience to suspend disbelief is shown when Alice jumps into the rabbit-hole, “not for one second considering how in the world she was to get out again”, and the White Queen’s claim to start practicing on believing the most impossible things. The physical changes Alice goes through when she struggles to maintain a comfortable size acts as a symbol for the changes occurring during puberty, and the inevitable loss of her childhood innocence. The discomfort and frustration that Alice feels towards these changes reflect her unwillingness to mature, while the confusion and nonsense associated with the caucus-race, the Mad Hatter’s riddle and the croquet game renders life a meaningless puzzle. Alice’s maturity and inner journey lie inside her dream, her imagination. Her inner self is explored through the imaginative journey, and when she awakens, she is mentally, but not physically altered.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass also have underlying messages that satirize the social, political and educational ideals of Victorian England. Upon arriving at the bottom of the rabbit hole and realizing that she had lost all her toys, and was now a poor girl, Alice waits for a new identity. The prospect of losing one’s identity was trivial against the significance of losing one’s status. The concept of identity is fluid – it is not destroyed or made, but rather exchanged. In Victorian England, social status was of extreme importance. The futility of political processes is symbolized by the caucus-race which occurs repeatedly in circles, but has no purpose and does not achieve anything. Carroll satirizes the overtly educational children’s literature by creating a parody of Isaac Watts’ Against Idle and Mischief with How Doth the Little Crocodile, and by the Duchess’ mocking moral-obsessions. Literary interpretations mocked by the King as he attempted to contrive a complete nonsense of a poem in the courtroom. Carroll makes a broader point about the ways that life frustrates expectations and resists interpretations, and ends the closing poem with a rhetorical question, suggesting that life is all but a dream.
By the way, I'm not sure how it works this year, but last year we couldn't just do Alice in Wonderland. It had to be "Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass".

Last edited:

kit90

HSC
hey guys, im doing a project on Alice in Wonderland and it's relevance to contemporary society- i was going to focus on the satiric aspect of it? Does anybody know of any particular books or authors, even sites that could help me out?

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)