Aligning marks....need to clear something up. (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

Everytime I think I'm sure about what happens in aligning, someone says something that makes me confused again :)

Apparently, some guy a year ahead of me came first in the grade and got 100 in the hsc exam, and yet only got 99.5 as an aligned mark. The guy who told me is sure that that is the case, however it comes into conflict with what I've always believed.

If you come first and get 100 in the HSC exam, you'll get 100 as an aligned mark won't you?
Someone please verify if this is the case: if you come first in your grade and first in the HSC exam then the mark you get in the exam is the aligned mark you will get - regardless of your unaligned internal assessment mark.

Somehow I think the guy who told me about the other guy is wrong and/or doesn't have his facts straight. But maybe I'm wrong....so it'd be great if someone could clear it up.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If that persons aligned mark was 99.5 it would be rounded to 100. All aligned marks are integers, no decimals when appearing on your record of achievement. However there is the case where if you got 100, you may not necesarily be ranked first in the state in that course if your 'actual' aligned mark was lower than another person's 'actual' aligned mark. In this case I don't think you need to worry about that.

Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
If you come first and get 100 in the HSC exam, you'll get 100 as an aligned mark won't you?
That is correct.

if you come first in your grade and first in the HSC exam then the mark you get in the exam is the aligned mark you will get - regardless of your unaligned internal assessment mark.
Correct. As long as you are ranked first, you are awarded the highest HSC exam mark. In this case, 100.

Last edited:

kpq_sniper017

So the following scenario wouldn't make sense?:

- person comes first in the grade
- same person gets 100 in the hsc exam (although they don't give raw exam marks do they?)
- person then gets 99.5 as an aligned mark (supposedly)

To me it doesn't make sense, but according to a guy I know - that was the situation for a guy in his year. :confused:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
One question, lets pretend getting 99.5 is possible, how does that person know he got 100 in the HSC exam when his aligned mark is 99.5 ?

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Ragerunner
One question, lets pretend getting 99.5 is possible, how does that person know he got 100 in the HSC exam when his aligned mark is 99.5 ?
not to worry....i asked the guy again. he actually got 98.5 - my bad.
sry if i wasted ur time ragerunner. :rolleyes:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
not to worry....i asked the guy again. he actually got 98.5 - my bad.
sry if i wasted ur time ragerunner. :rolleyes:
What??? You can't see ".5" on your certificate thingy. It is rounded to the nearest whole number.

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Survivor39
What??? You can't see ".5" on your certificate thingy. It is rounded to the nearest whole number.
don't ask me how he knows.....he came first in the state though, so i guess it's not that important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)