All those doing medicine... (1 Viewer)

Blind Ref

Executive Officer, BOS
HSC
Sup,
I'm thinking of doing medicine (at UNSW if I'm lucky)....but I need all the help i can get. So I have a few q's:
1) What UAI and UMAT scores am i lookin at?

2) 'Why do u want to study Med?' - I cant think of a decent answer to this q!!

3) The degree is 6 or 7 years, yeah? (like a jail sentence!!:eek:)

And any other helpful advice/tips u may have.

Cheers... i'll be sure to let u know if i get in

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
from most accounts, be prepared to kiss your social life goodbye for a few years once your intern year starts.

but from what i've seen, you'll party hard enough during your uni years to make up for it ;)

MCaristo

HSC
Blind Ref said:
Sup,
I'm thinking of doing medicine (at UNSW if I'm lucky)....but I need all the help i can get. So I have a few q's:
1) What UAI and UMAT scores am i lookin at?

2) 'Why do u want to study Med?' - I cant think of a decent answer to this q!!

3) The degree is 6 or 7 years, yeah? (like a jail sentence!!:eek:)

And any other helpful advice/tips u may have.

Cheers... i'll be sure to let u know if i get in
1)Its all here. Basically, if you don't get 97 or above your chances are slim. http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Latest_News#local

2) There are three things I think you should include here.
a) Something personal. I.e some reason that 'inspired' you to do med, whether it be a sickness in the family, a good experience with a doctor when you were young, or a bad one! I've even seen a doctor talking at your school being pulled off well. An example is for mine, i used the fact that I was inspired by wanting to help my father's bell's palsy when I was 9.
b) A reason concerning the subject matter. A love of science? A love of people? You enjoy making an impact?
c) TALK ABOUT THE NEW COURSE. Do your research about it. As the first year of the new course i know how much UNSW staff love talking about it. If you say it suits your learning style they'll lap it up.

3) The degree is 6 years. Unless you choose to extend your ILP(Independant Learning Project) to a full year for honours rather than 6 months. Then the course takes 6.5 years. Its not thaaat bad. Uni life is easy, you don't have to study much other than around exam times. But internship seems like it gets REALLY time consuming.

Good luck!

Blind Ref

Executive Officer, BOS
HSC
MCaristo bro, ur a legend!!

My prayers have been answered!!
If i get an interview, i'll b sure to give ya a call...

Cheers mate

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
and that is why my mobile# is not in my sig :p

MCaristo

HSC
No worries Ref, anytime.

And yeah, my mobile number is everywhere else that i can imagine so i don't think this forum will hurt :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)