allegory (1 Viewer)

louise08

HSC
I need to write an allegory. (ie, Animal Farm)
Any ideas? I'm stuck.. all I can think of is too similar to Animal Farm.

LivetoXL

HSC
well an allegory is a form of satire
and satires and allegories mock some topic
i recommend writing an allegorical story on
current affairs and news such as a parody
of the US government or middle eastern governance

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
LivetoXL said:
well an allegory is a form of satire
and satires and allegories mock some topic
i recommend writing an allegorical story on
current affairs and news such as a parody
of the US government or middle eastern governance
??

I thought an allegory is something that has a meaning outside the text. But then again I am pretty hopeless in English.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I'm in year ten. i dont think I can help much, but here are some ideas anyway:

An issue:

- that you disapprove of
- that happens in school
- in work
- or at home
- society
- human nature

I suppose you want to use animals? on a farm?

Examples:

SCHOOL

- School marks: Kids are getting serious in later years for the HSC. They bitch about one another, cheat, etc. Could use animals as kids and have them cheat to get farmer's attention so they won't be sold elsewhere, eaten, etc.

Could make smart kids the dogs (as farmers really like their dogs), kids who cheat as the pigs (pigs are lazy), etc

WORK

- Discrimination: Work discrimination like racism. Based on topic of racism. Stereotypes that Lebanese and Black people cant do intelligent jobs. And White people are intelligent. Could use animals to show the discrimination.

Could make the darker cows get less food from the farmer although they do more work. Make the whiter cows (With less black spots) get more food. Darker cows have more chance of being killed.

SOCIETY

-Women are useless and only used for sex appeal

Could use animals like swans who get more attention with o ther animals. Ugly animals like the pigs get no attention and are also more likely to be mistreated by humans. all animals contribute to family, but once the female animals mate, they sit at home the whole time waiting for the male to return. Very boring. Most males dont return, and find other mates. the more attractive ones! the swans

bawd

HSC
nerdsforever said:
I suppose you want to use animals? on a farm?
George Orwell's Animal Farm is an allegory. In fact, probably the most famous satirical allegory.

bored of sc

HSC
More information about the context of the allegory is needed. Is it for English Area of Study - what area of study are you doing? If you are doing identity I have an okay idea posted below.

You could go out there and have robots being produced at a factory. Have it so the robots are personified (think and act like humans do) and have it that the robots all share similiar moods, attitudes, temperaments, ideas of the world, social views etc. But then have one robot who has a small yet fairly significant error of manufacture (they were made slightly incorrect at the factory). This robot is symbolic of either the poor, outcast, disabled, African American, homosexual etc. Make it so that the other robots ridicule and abuse the robot. Have it that the robot that was 'different' (e.g. different race, socio-economic status, sexuality etc) does not stand up for themselves but falls deeper and deeper into depression and despair. In the end have the robot kill itself (somehow, maybe destory its harddrive main function thing (I am so terrible with computer terms). But once it dies have it so life for the other robots goes on unchanged (don't notice the other robots deliberate death).

Um, take it or leave it; just trying to get the ideas flowing for you! :)

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
i like the child's playground idea.

make george bush that "nelson munts" character, but more popular and seemingly good from his peers perspective.
make sadam hussain and co. the kids who play in the sand pit.

then they find, i dunno, old footy cards in the sandbox or sumin, so george shows interest.

can explain the themes of the america's involvement in the middle east. and satirize by exploring it through the allegory of little kids in a play ground, fighting over the sandbox ect ect.

hope that helps.

E

Empyrean444

"George Orwell's Animal Farm is an allegory. In fact, probably the most famous satirical allegory."
Surely Gulliver's Travels is at least as famous?

Whilst an allegory can be satirical or a parody, it is not condition that it be either of these. Dante, in the Divine Comedy, uses allegory heavily, and not only in the aforementioned ways.

I would avoid animal allegory, as it is often overused. Try an allegory that uses ficitional places/peoples to embody real ones...like in Gullivers Travels. Use everday objects/occurences as allegorical figures(eg, the sun can=wisdom, etc). Relgious symbolism is also useful in this regard, as such "divine machinery" can enrich a story - George w and Hussein represented by two quarrelling demons, fighting over the lowest point in hell, so on and so forth.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
What module is this allegory based on and what themes are you supposed to be exploring?

bawd

HSC
Empyrean444 said:
"George Orwell's Animal Farm is an allegory. In fact, probably the most famous satirical allegory."
Surely Gulliver's Travels is at least as famous?

Whilst an allegory can be satirical or a parody, it is not condition that it be either of these. Dante, in the Divine Comedy, uses allegory heavily, and not only in the aforementioned ways.

I would avoid animal allegory, as it is often overused. Try an allegory that uses ficitional places/peoples to embody real ones...like in Gullivers Travels. Use everday objects/occurences as allegorical figures(eg, the sun can=wisdom, etc). Relgious symbolism is also useful in this regard, as such "divine machinery" can enrich a story - George w and Hussein represented by two quarrelling demons, fighting over the lowest point in hell, so on and so forth.
Note: The most famous satirical and political allegory. Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. I just wanted to pass the point that it is indeed well-known. I have never read Gulliver's Travels for example.

bawd

HSC
Aplus said:
Gulliver's Travels is so epic.
I read the storybook version as a child, never the text. Also watched a very decent film adaption. Never realised it was an allegory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)